Fessi's ban

1 hour ago, Mr. Tom said:

Oh absolutely, *discussion* is essential! I just feel some people forget that a discussion involves listening as well as talking.

Sorry you’ve had to deal with that, it’s rotten and there’s no excuse.

oh! I wasn't hurt by it, just sorry I couldn't express myself 'in dance' as the teacher used to say.

3 hours ago, McRightSide said:

Couple of questions.

What about all the other non-casually racist ways of warning your teammates about there whereabouts of an opposing player? I mentioned a few examples, but you only chose to acknowledge one. 

How many of the 4 black players that Charlton had on the pitch were in the box at that moment in time?

The fact people don’t understand that it’s simply not ok to call people out based on the colour of their skin - and actually argue against that - shows just how far we have to go.

I haven't seen the highlights I'm just going what was reported and if he was the only black guy in the box then it's the easiest, simplist and most sensible way to point out who you want picking up and I'm amazed anybody would think otherwise or think that's offensive.

1 hour ago, coopswfc76 said:

I haven't seen the highlights I'm just going what was reported and if he was the only black guy in the box then it's the easiest, simplist and most sensible way to point out who you want picking up and I'm amazed anybody would think otherwise or think that's offensive.

oh my days..Showing your true self now..

so casual racism is fine if it’s the easiest course of action.

Said without actually knowing how many black players were in the box at the same time 

personally I’d have said the massive number 14 on his back, or the number 14 on his shorts would have been a better way

4 hours ago, McRightSide said:

oh my days..Showing your true self now..

so casual racism is fine if it’s the easiest course of action.

Said without actually knowing how many black players were in the box at the same time 

personally I’d have said the massive number 14 on his back, or the number 14 on his shorts would have been a better way

So its quicker to glance at his shorts or the number on his back lol.

It's like that betting advert ridiculous trying to avoid calling somebody black, black if he was the only white guy you'd say pick the white guy up as it's the easiest description.

8 hours ago, coopswfc76 said:

It's like that betting advert ridiculous trying to avoid calling somebody black, black if he was the only white guy you'd say pick the white guy up as it's the easiest description.

Totally agree 

It’s the people who try to be offended by everything that hinder the equality movement more than help it 

9 hours ago, coopswfc76 said:

Like I said, it being faster to single out the black player

Has no bearing on whether it’s right or wrong.

Its unbelievable that you defend this without actually knowing how many black players were in the box at the time 

6 minutes ago, torres said:

Classic brainless do gooder clown who presumes I’m white 

I didn’t reference your skin colour at all.

I simply just let you know that what you posted was a classic white supremacist comment.

Where that lines up to your skin colour, values or opinions on matters on race is entirely a subject for you.

Once again, you’ve struggled to read properly and resorted to the throwing insults based on what you thought you read.

Edited by McRightSide

9 hours ago, coopswfc76 said:

I honestly don't think anyone would say pick up the white guy, even if he was the only white player in the team. 

The keeper is Spanish, did he use the Spanish word for black? I wonder if he did, but as a pejorative term, and he's now saying he just meant black? Either way I'm not expecting him to get a 6 match ban. FF ban was for racially abusive language, they'll say he wasn't being abusive, same as Silva, and he'll get 1 match. The fact FF was 1 man's word against another and the FA chose to believe 1 man over the other was wrong in my eyes. This is the can of worms opened in this thread. They're backed into a corner now and will have to twist and turn everything to justify their punishments. 

Racism must not be tolerated but there has to be some proof it happened before you start banning players on say so. 

20 hours ago, dorian gray said:

you can't joke with a team mate in racist terms.

many years ago there were riots in sheffield, 4 of us were in my car passing an area where blacks were (let's call it demonstrating). they guy next to me lowered the window and shouted 'F*** OFF BACK HOME YOU B**** B*****DS',  I said you can't shout that, we've got ***** in the back (yes, he was black). the reply was '***** doesn't count, he's one of the lads'.

i honestly dont know if your joking or not! 

I hope you are :blink:

11 minutes ago, latemodelchild said:

I honestly don't think anyone would say pick up the white guy, even if he was the only white player in the team. 

The keeper is Spanish, did he use the Spanish word for black? I wonder if he did, but as a pejorative term, and he's now saying he just meant black? Either way I'm not expecting him to get a 6 match ban. FF ban was for racially abusive language, they'll say he wasn't being abusive, same as Silva, and he'll get 1 match. The fact FF was 1 man's word against another and the FA chose to believe 1 man over the other was wrong in my eyes. This is the can of worms opened in this thread. They're backed into a corner now and will have to twist and turn everything to justify their punishments. 

Racism must not be tolerated but there has to be some proof it happened before you start banning players on say so. 

I believe that is the crux of his defence.

But I don’t think there were any other Spanish speakers on the pitch either - unless Helder Costa speaks Spanish, but would be surprised if his picking up Leko in the box.

7 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

I believe that is the crux of his defence.

But I don’t think there were any other Spanish speakers on the pitch either - unless Helder Costa speaks Spanish, but would be surprised if his picking up Leko in the box.

I've not really seen the reports of it, and what I have seen have been very broad stroke reports that don't give any details. I'm impressed with myself that I came up with my theory. :biggrin:

2 minutes ago, latemodelchild said:

I've not really seen the reports of it, and what I have seen have been very broad stroke reports that don't give any details. I'm impressed with myself that I came up with my theory. :biggrin:

From what I’ve read about it, I think you nailed the whole situation near on perfect.

I believe he’ll get banned for unnecessarily describing a players as black.

The remaining discussion is whether it was abusive or not.

With FF they had proof on the abusive but not the racism. Will be interesting to see if they apply the same principle when the defense is the other way round.

2 hours ago, latemodelchild said:

Infairnness its highly unlikely to be the case in any of the major European leagues.

Surely though in leagues where that's possible they would but I'll agree to disagree and everything I've said is based on the 1 report I read where it said Casilla said to pick up the black guy if he used derogatory terms then surely in a crowded box others would have heard it including Leeds players.

6 minutes ago, coopswfc76 said:

Infairnness its highly unlikely to be the case in any of the major European leagues.

Surely though in leagues where that's possible they would but I'll agree to disagree and everything I've said is based on the 1 report I read where it said Casilla said to pick up the black guy if he used derogatory terms then surely in a crowded box others would have heard it including Leeds players.

Said in Spanish, to potentially no Spanish speakers, with potentially more than one black person in the box...

Tenuous at best

Edited by McRightSide

Guest Grez Bez
2 hours ago, McRightSide said:

From what I’ve read about it, I think you nailed the whole situation near on perfect.

I believe he’ll get banned for unnecessarily describing a players as black.

The remaining discussion is whether it was abusive or not.

With FF they had proof on the abusive but not the racism. Will be interesting to see if they apply the same principle when the defense is the other way round.

I'd be very interested to know where you are from and whst your experiences of other races are (presuming your white)

I grew up in Pitsmoor then moved to Chapeltown (Leeds) and I've played football for years for many teams. I can't think of anyone who'd be offended by being called black. Being black isn't a bad thing, white and black people are equal hence its not an insult.

It's weird when middle class white people tell people what to be offended by

24 minutes ago, LSOwls said:

I'd be very interested to know where you are from and whst your experiences of other races are (presuming your white)

I grew up in Pitsmoor then moved to Chapeltown (Leeds) and I've played football for years for many teams. I can't think of anyone who'd be offended by being called black. Being black isn't a bad thing, white and black people are equal hence its not an insult.

It's weird when middle class white people tell people what to be offended by

Youre missing the point

Most words can be either pejorative or ameliorative - it's the context in which you use them that's relevant.

And as for saying white and black people are equal - well, yes they are... so why does the world not treat them that way? This thread is a microcosm of that exact situation 

For the record. I'm not telling anyone what to be offended by, just stating my opinion on what is an isn't acceptable.