• Bannan
    • Lee
    • Hutchinson
    • Reach
    • Pelupessy
    • Reach
    • Jones
    • Abdi
  3. 3. 4-2-3-1 Part 1 ( Pick 2 Base players)

• Bannan
    • Hutchinson
    • Pelupessy
    • Jones
    • Hector
    • Lee
  4. 4. 4-2-3-1 Part 2 (Pick 3 attacking midfield players)

• Boyd
    • Matias
    • Abdi
    • Hooper
    • Forestieri
  5. 5. 3-5-2 - Who's your 5 across the middle. And are you going with defensvie wingbacks or attacking?

• Palmer
    • Iorfa
    • Lazaar
    • Penney
    • Fox
    • Bannan
    • Hutchinson
    • Lee
    • Pelupessy
    • Boyd
    • Matias
    • Forestieri
    • Abdi
    • Jones
    • Aarons
    • Baker

Much chat (for more than 3 years) about our best midfield shape.

Seems to boile down to 4-4-2 and 4-3-3 and variants of.

Bruce seems to have used various 4-3-3/4-5-1 set ups in the past but has recently , and has here. But in many ways, like Carlos, of late has felt that 4-4-2 is the best option to get the best from what he's got.

Given the two set ups are the most frequently used since he arrived who would you line the midfields for each option?

Good post. We will be decent under Bruce playing 4-4-2 but it won’t be enough to get us top 2 next season. I was discussing this with my mates before the Leeds game and my worst fears transpired in this game. We were outfought in this game playing with their midfield 3 with high energy.

Id like us to go 4-3-3 next season but the key is to get a mobile pacy striker who can play the lone striker role and we need a box to box midfielder. Kieran Lee could obviously be the man but it’s a long shot with his injury record. 

The 3 stand out teams this season all play with a midfield 3. They all play different systems but the key thing is that they have players in the middle to control games. Football has moved on - so do we.

Just now, flo said:

Where is Reach on the last one and also where is Aarons, Reach and Lee for the attacking 3 from a 4231. 

If you think I'm letting you put Lee in an attacking midfield position where we would lose his ability to break from deep and ghost into the box like budget David Platt you've got another thing coming mi laddy!

Sorry. I mean Mi lady.

I think.

1 minute ago, Lord Snooty said:

If you think I'm letting you put Lee in an attacking midfield position where we would lose his ability to break from deep and ghost into the box like budget David Platt you've got another thing coming mi laddy!

Sorry. I mean Mi lady.

I think.

It doest matter where you put Lee though because he would be everywhere anyway. 

• Thanks 1

If all fit 

you could play any centre forward from Joao, Fletcher, hooper, FF for me depending on who we are playing and form 

I went fletcher for physicality but if we’re playing a slow sluggish Lumps at the back I’d go with Joao or fessi

if we’re playing a team that sit right back and allow us to push on if go with hooper for the midfield runners 

I think hooper needs to be played with at least another forward though to get the best out of him when he comes deep 

79550C66-043D-4F7C-8C89-8C476AF7FBAC.jpeg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, fpowl said:

If all fit 

you could play any centre forward from Joao, Fletcher, hooper, FF for me depending on who we are playing and form 

I went fletcher for physicality but if we’re playing a slow sluggish Lumps at the back I’d go with Joao or fessi

if we’re playing a team that sit right back and allow us to push on if go with hooper for the midfield runners 

I think hooper needs to be played with at least another forward though to get the best out of him when he comes deep 

Thats a real mouthwatering team in prospect

Stick Tammy Abraham in for Fletcher and it's got automatic promotion written all over it.*

*If they all stayed fit:ph34r:

Just hope we can get those loan players back too. They've made a real impact!

2 minutes ago, fpowl said:

If all fit 

Thats the system and team I’d go with. I love fletcher and he always gives 100%. I just feel we need a pacy mobile striker up top. On paper Joao would be the man, but you just can’t rely on him, too inconsistent.

Oh for that missing striker option like Abraham physical and quick 

I just know that with how we are overloaded in that department it will be more about getting players out than in 

that said if we can sell two or three in contract Winnall, Joao, Forestieri, Nuhiu? Maybe, just maybe 

4 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Never mind your cheek!

Get voting in the striking options poll

Ok ok 

I'll have a think over tea ,

Coronation Chicken 

Jacket tate 

Rocket n Cherry Toms..

Light toasted brown bread 

n a chilled bottle of 

Lock keepers Cottage white ..

I did ask for Bubble n Squeak n Beans to be fair ..........:ph34r:

Edited by OWLERTON GHOST
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Ok ok 

I'll have a think over tea ,

Coronation Chicken 

Jacket tate 

Rocket n Cherry Toms..

Light toasted brown bread 

n a chilled bottle of 

Lock keepers Cottage white ..

Salad?! In this weather!?

It's bright man. Not bloody warm.

Dirty b'stard!

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, fpowl said:

If all fit 

I'd be happy to watch that team on a regular basis and fairly confident but as you say, IF FIT. That puts a big question mark over this approach as Lee is a gamble at best and Hutch won't do 46 games. We do not have anyone in the squad that could adequately replace either when playing this formation. In that sense we need two new midfielders to make this work for a full season.

I would agree with Fletcher being the preferred choice up top and in some home games FF could play a wide role when the onus is on us to attack.

However, only having Hooper play every now and again would be a disappointment to me. He is technically one of our best players but doesn't fit into the first 11 in this system and so would be a waste of his talent - and his significant wages.