Palmer

Guest Ash76

12 minutes ago, The Captain said:

Many fans thought Baker put in some promising performances when he first came into the team; e.g. he looked good in the 5-1 game against Norwich, final game of last season.

From October time until Jos was sacked no one looked good in our team.  Not sure why individuals need scapegoating really.  No need.

Saying someone isn’t good enough (especially when it’s pretty obvious they aren’t) isn’t scapegoating

5 minutes ago, The Captain said:

And what exactly is wrong with showing support for a 21 year old lad wearing blue and white stripes?  Especially when the only alternative at the time was an out-of-form Liam Palmer.

Jos Luhukay was the incompetent party.

Not seen Baker well enough in any game this season to justify being selected again. That’s my opinion. 

6 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Saying someone isn’t good enough (especially when it’s pretty obvious they aren’t) isn’t scapegoating

Correct.  Where have I suggested any different?

I don’t think there’s any reason to write off Baker just yet though.  And I disagree that anyone who didn’t think Liam Palmer was the better option of the two at the start of the season needed to “take a serious look at themselves” or whatever that other guy was going on about.

3 minutes ago, The Captain said:

Correct.  Where have I suggested any different?

I don’t think there’s any reason to write off Baker just yet though.  And I disagree that anyone who didn’t think Liam Palmer was the better option of the two at the start of the season needed to “take a serious look at themselves” or whatever that other guy was going on about.

In the post I quoted

1 hour ago, Beholder said:

Consistent player in my opinion. 

Always thought he was anyway, even under Stuart gray. Never knew what the fuss was about tbh 

Never understood it myself either 

Even against Chelsea last week he was the only one out of our players who looked like a proper footballer 

the criticis towards him I’ve always found just bizarre 

Edited by FreshOwl
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

In the post I quoted

Except the point I was obviously making was that during that horrendous run of 1 win in 10 (with 7 defeats thrown in) not one player came out with any credit.  That doesn’t mean every single player that took to the field during that run is a League One player (as that was the standard we were playing at).

And since Luhukay was sacked, Baker has been out of the first team picture.  So it might be a tad premature to say Baker isn’t good enough, given that he has put in other performances that have been well received.  And he’s only played 11 senior games for SWFC in total.

7 minutes ago, The Captain said:

Except the point I was obviously making was that during that horrendous run of 1 win in 10 (with 7 defeats thrown in) not one player came out with any credit.  That doesn’t mean every single player that took to the field during that run is a League One player (as that was the standard we were playing at).

And since Luhukay was sacked, Baker has been out of the first team picture.  So it might be a tad premature to say Baker isn’t good enough, given that he has put in other performances that have been well received.  And he’s only played 11 senior games for SWFC in total.

He’s not good enough, get over it

Credit where credit's due

I'm not Palmer's biggest fan, but he had a great game again today

Hector was my MOM by some distance, but Palmer was his nearest rival

I've always been critical of Palmer's crossing ability, but he put two cracking crosses over in the first half, and was unlucky not to score in the second

I still think he will lose the shirt, he'd have to produce many more displays like today's to keep it

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Palmer has always been a decent footballer....positionally just a bit naive, and when he's caught out, he loiters about rather than busting a gut to get back into a spot that will help the defence out. I hope The Three Steves can sort him out in this respect. He does go into panic mode in the oppositions box, seen him fluff chances before...but so do most of our forwards, Reach, Forestieri, Fletcher et al.;-)

14 hours ago, The Captain said:

Many fans thought Baker put in some promising performances when he first came into the team; e.g. he looked good in the 5-1 game against Norwich, final game of last season.

From October time until Jos was sacked no one looked good in our team.  Not sure why individuals need scapegoating really.  No need.

Without wanting to veer away from a thread about Palmer, who had an excellent game again, I do think some remember that Norwich game while viewing through blue and white specs. If I remember clearly, both Norwich wingers skinned Baker and Reach time after time, and created plenty of chances that weren’t taken. Both full backs were decent going forward that day, but defensively, they were not at the races