Time to release the beast that could make a difference

1 hour ago, torres said:

The New Year’s Day game isn’t the best indicator as a lot come out of tradition but I do see your point. 

I doubt they have sold many half season tickets so why not reimburse them and sell the rest of the home games as a package at £20 per game. 

They can reimburse season ticket holders next season 

The bottom line is the chairman has messed up with expensive season ticket prices from minute one. He’s messed up with expensive multi year season tickets. 

To make these viable the match day prices are disgusting. He’s made a viscous circle that is going to take some serious administrative work to untangle 

I take your point about New Year's Day, but the fact remains that a healthy fan base exists if the pricing policy can be addressed.

For example the chairman could say for the next two home games all POTG prices are £20 with the potential of being that price for the rest of the season...but would have to make it clear to the fan base that these prices could only continue if the revenue generated makes the economic sense. The club could do the maths, but for the sake of argument they might need 28k attendance in order to make this offer sustainable.

The ball is then in the court of the fans, if we turn up in sufficient numbers for those couple of games we get to keep £20 per game ... on the understanding that it will revert to the existing pricing structure if we don't.

TBF, I think you'd get away with £25 in stands and £20 kop.

From what I've read most season tickets wouldn't object to this as a short term measure, they'd rather see the ground full and enjoy a better atmosphere.

This may appear a little simplistic, but the alternative is to try nothing and look at a lot of blue plastic for the remainder of the season.

Edited by Rhubarb n Custard

I don’t think it necessarily needs to be £20, maybe just that psychological boost of under £30 (so £29 then).

I used to have a season ticket until my daughter was born in summer of 2015, but still went regularly even with ticket prices. But as the side got more mediocre and prices continued to rise, it’s become less and less of a priority spending a few hours away from the family at a weekend knowing we’re getting robbed blind. 

If there was a move to actually make fans feel like they weren’t some kind of idiots to be ripped off (without going to mad) I’d support this.

This is something i have advocated for a while. I am an ST and understand the financial benefit to the club of solid cash flow pre-season but i would price the POTG to fill the stadium. Not only does it make economic sense but i yearn for the atmosphere of yesteryear. Not expecting 49k as we had on that memorable boxing day, but think back to Kaiserslautern etc...

Once the stadium is full and bouncing again, you will sell more ST’s then you can afford to increase the adult price. A number of clubs have waiting lists to get hold of an ST. I agree with the OP that part of the thrill is seeing S6 bounce and i mean properly. 

Personally, i would leave kids at £10. When i first started attending, we would queue by the South stand to ask a shareholder to take us in free on their ticket.

The other key area which should be added is getting a few thousand school kids in each match onthe lower leppings lane or elsewhere. We used to have a “gentelmen’s agreement “ with the S2 lot that we would only provide free school tickets in Wednesday areas of town and they in Utd areas. Since we stopped doing this, the S2 lot have ignored the agreement and are giving out tickets scross the City. A real shame and a trick we are sadly missing.

At least sticking at £10 POTG will help. 

18 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

The Hillsborough crowd could be the extra push that takes us into a play off position...

I admit I find it hardly likely, but we now have to take every advantage we can.

Speaking as a season holder, I would have no qualms about leaving the POTG at £20 for the rest of the season.

No f.ookers walking up at the minute...We are simply throwing away money cos some of us anted up early and are coming anyhow.

I'll admit I buy the cheapest season ticket...I always have done, not simply through price, simply because I prefer The Eastbank...

Why not simply try and fill the place?

The season has stuttered far&ted an' stumbled to what it is now...

It got to the stage where at the Bolton game, even season ticket holders, who had ALREADY paid..thought 

"F.ook this for a game of dominos"

Whats the point of sayin'  

"Well I paid so much, every one else should"

When the bloody ground is half empty!!!

Waddya do..Sit there nodding sagely thinking "That showed 'em"?

Sheffield Wednesday is addictive....Lets get fans addicted again.

Even if its short term loss....

Are there honestly ANY season ticket holders at the minute who would argue against getting Hillsborough bouncing again?

Agree, I have a ST as suits me to pay upfront. If potg is cheaper not bothered IF people do turn up.

Think today would be a good indicator cheap tickets let's see how the argument goes. No excuses really.

There is a bloke who takes his kids to the same school my kids go to.

He's one of those that (and he actually did this) took an ofo bike, hacked the tracker out of it and then proceeded to wheel his kids to Malin Bridge School on it for days on end, going into months.   

He sat in front of me on the kop for the cheap tickets, I guess that's the only ones he buys.

His kid asked him who each player was as they had the ball.  He strained to look at the guy in front who had a programme pointing backwards up to tell his kid which number each player was.

They left not long after the score went to 1-1