Onomah ?

41 minutes ago, Derick Mills said:

Totally agree with that ,but just take him off and have a word with the player but don't slate him in the press

Perhaps he has done that already and it didnt work. Perhaps he is trying something else. Just a thought. People react differently to different approaches

If JL has indeed said these things about Onomah, he's completely out of line... taking such matters to the press, what the fizz? Onomah wasn't even on the pitch when the remaining players fizzed up and conceded 2 goals in 2 minutes... when several supporters and sports journos have been rating him as rather good in the first half, what is going on here?

What counts as missed passes in JL's book anyway? That chip Onomah tried through on Reach, it was a clever effort though it got blocked.

What about Fox? Pudil? Thorniley? The amount of mistakes they made were far more costly during the game and ultimately the outcome.

I have completely lost all faith in JL with this bullshit. It's like he could only focus on the one player who was new in the mix trying to make up his mind about him picking on every little thing he did and being flipping oblivious to the usual bullshit we're treated to by the others he should have benched 3-4 matches ago.

FFS... Jos out!

1 hour ago, billyblack said:

Its hard to say and i mean that genuinely. With no messages from the top i have no idea what we are meant to be doing. If we are judging solely on points and pitch performance then no. Is he sorting out thr dressing room and instilling some discipline, maybe. Is he managing the financial aspects well. Maybe. Is he trying to manage youngsters in readiness for next season. Maybe. Probably feels like its him against the world at the moment. Isbhe getting any support internally. I dont know. I just think there is more to this and we will never know. 

I agree that he probably feels it's him against the world and he's undoubtedly under massive pressure but in my view it's completely wrong to single out a player for public criticism.Let's be honest there have been many more poor displays by individual players this season and as far as I know they have not been criticized in public like this.

Earlier in the thread you wrote -  'Our fickle fan base is somewhat nauseating and just plain moronic at times'. Even if it were true what has it got to do Jos criticizing Onomah in public? The fans are not the problem on this issue nor are they to blame for the terrible state our club is in at the moment.

25 minutes ago, oldowl67 said:

I agree that he probably feels it's him against the world and he's undoubtedly under massive pressure but in my view it's completely wrong to single out a player for public criticism.Let's be honest there have been many more poor displays by individual players this season and as far as I know they have not been criticized in public like this.

Earlier in the thread you wrote -  'Our fickle fan base is somewhat nauseating and just plain moronic at times'. Even if it were true what has it got to do Jos criticizing Onomah in public? The fans are not the problem on this issue nor are they to blame for the terrible state our club is in at the moment.

However the club and a section of our fan base seem pretty happy to blame the rest of the fans for our current plight. 

Ive said this time and time again over the years but we have one of the softest fan bases in the country. If any other club had gone through what we had over the years they would have had numerous protests and they’d be hardly anyone at games. We just lie down and have our tummy’s tickled while having the odd moan on owlstalk and twitter.

Spurs not endeared with JL’s treatment of the young player is what is being put forward in the press.

I’m not happy with the likes of Dawson and Penney being put under so much pressure, and potentially having their Wednesday careers impacted either. Just get rid of JL now. Appoint a caretaker if necessary. If we’re waiting on someone, having a caretaker won’t impact negatively on our results currently. The players have had enough of JL, it is plain to see.

1 hour ago, oldowl67 said:

I wasnt talking about his ctiritcism of Onomah, i was referring to the inconsistency of fans not wanting him to play and then moaning when hes taken off.

5 hours ago, Morepork said:

On Onomah, it damages our credibility when looking for future loans of young talent. Even after JL has gone. Clubs want to know they are sending their players to a well run club where they can progress not regress!!!! 

This is the big longer term problem.

Jos knows he won't be here long term, so it doesn't impact on him.

Some of the decisions and outbursts recently point to someone who wants the sack to me - had enough and wants that pay off.

A decision on our Head Coach has to be made as a matter of urgency - for the sake of Jos and the club.

27 minutes ago, billyblack said:

I wasnt talking about his ctiritcism of Onomah, i was referring to the inconsistency of fans not wanting him to play and then moaning when hes taken off.

Well it's always been that way and always will. In my 40+ years watching Wednesday I can't remember when fans were consistent in their views on players. Probably Roland Nilsson, Des Walker and Chris Waddle came closest.     

12 minutes ago, oldowl67 said:

Well it's always been that way and always will. In my 40+ years watching Wednesday I can't remember when fans were consistent in their views on players. Probably Roland Nilsson, Des Walker and Chris Waddle came closest.     

The manager gets hounded for being inconsistent (apparently), yet the fans doing the hounding are worse.

I didn't go Saturday. I am fed up of seeing the fragile confidence of our team (and fanbase) at the moment. It is bad enough going to all the home games at moment, so hats off to all the fans who keep forking out to support the team. 

To those who have been going, how quickly do the crowd turn when things start to go badly? Were our away support still getting behind the lads after the equaliser, or will DC be blaming supporters for their second goal?

WhoScored give the individual stats for the players base don various different aspects of their game and only gave Onomah 6.3 which was next to the lowest score, above Dawson, who gets a low mark for conceding two goals. Fox and Pudil were just above Onomah points wise, with Nuhiu on the highest points for us then, then Thorniley and Reach, out of the starting 11. Matias got second highest place overall, but came on as sub and gets a high score (similar to the Dawson low score) with the extra emphasis on goals scored. 

I was excited at the prospect of Onomah coming, thinking that he could really help strengthen our midfield, even thinking that the negative posts from Villa fans, could Spur (oh yeah) him on to putting a bit more effort in to prove them wrong about his laziness. Unfortunately, from what we have seen of him, he gives too little too infrequently and quite honestly, I would rather see some of our U23 players coming in and having a run in that position than him. He looks capable of doing something, but gets caught in possession or gives the ball away when there are better options available. He has five or ten minute cameos where he looks interested , makes a good run, interacts well and looks for the ball, then he goes into hide and seek mode, spending too long, too far away from the action and not looking to get involved.  Despite Pelupessy getting bad press from some quarters, he has got a better overall record than Onomah, but can't be relied on play the defensive and attacking midfield roles at the same time. We have desperately needed a strong central midfielder for a while now. I thought that Melo looked like he might end up playing that anchor man role, but he was allowed to go back to Portugal after his bad injury and rihght now we are lacking any real strength in midfield with Bannan and Pelupessy doing their best against some very powerful midfielders, with no real back up for either of them.

As an added consequence this means we have also lost our only real threat on the wings with Reach having to fill in in a position which he is not ideally suited to. He gets criticised for playing in that role, but I can think of quite a few of our wingers that would have done much worse there and even Reach would admit that his best attributes are putting good balls into the strikers from the wing, or having a shot on goal.

If we could send Onomah back, I would do so now because he does not bring anything new to the table, especially if it meant we could replace him with a more solid loan replacement until the end of the season.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, billyblack said:

I think plenty of fans said Onomah had his best game for us when Bannan was missing against WBA and were happy for him to play instead of Bannan.

The real inconsistency was Jos criticising the defending when it was him who once again changed the back three and , I think, managed to come up with a three that hadn’t played together this season. I could be wrong on that but it has not been selected very often.

Why does it surprise him that people make mistakes when he continues to do this.

On 15/12/2018 at 20:07, hugeowl said:

Was he taken off Injured or was this a tactical masterclass ?

Anything been mentioned because we looked solid enough and played some decent stuff but once Onomah was gone and cruncher Reach went to centre midfield it was all over .

Got a promising young star on the rise? Needing a little 1st team football and experience? Send to Sheffield Wednesday where we will systematically coach any progress out of them and make them regress and begging to go home.

1 minute ago, oldishowl said:

I think plenty of fans said Onomah had his best game for us when Bannan was missing against WBA and were happy for him to play instead of Bannan.

The real inconsistency was Jos criticising the defending when it was him who once again changed the back three and , I think, managed to come up with a three that hadn’t played together this season. I could be wrong on that but it has not been selected very often.

Why does it surprise him that people make mistakes when he continues to do this.

No excuse for two goals in a minute again. Thats just poor mental concentration by the players. 

27 minutes ago, billyblack said:

No excuse for two goals in a minute again. Thats just poor mental concentration by the players. 

No excuse for the manager changing the defence every week, absolutely none.

Quote from Souness talking about Man Utd yesterday

" the most important part of any team is central defence and it is absolutely vital that the same players are picked and given the chance to play regularly together..

no team will put in consistent performances if they continually change the defence"

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, billyblack said:

The manager gets hounded for being inconsistent (apparently), yet the fans doing the hounding are worse.

Much worse and they start to moan on here. It's ok for owlstalk to be toxic but not the other way round. Let's face it this player is gash.,we have all said it but when the manager does, he gets slated. 

34 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

No excuse for the manager changing the defence every week, absolutely none.

Quote from Souness talking about Man Utd yesterday

" the most important part of any team is central defence and it is absolutely vital that the same players are picked and given the chance to play regularly together..

no team will put in consistent performances if they continually change the defence"

Fine, but the players need to do their jobs as well and they arent, are they blameless in their shitness at the minute?

45 minutes ago, CLswfc said:

Much worse and they start to moan on here. It's ok for owlstalk to be toxic but not the other way round. Let's face it this player is gash.,we have all said it but when the manager does, he gets slated. 

You're going to have help me out with this because I'm really struggling to understand. You and billyblack seem to criticising football fans for expressing their views on a forum for football fans. This is in contrast to our club's manager who has singled out a loan player for public criticism when most people would agree it should be done internally within the club. I just can't take your last sentence seriously !   

51 minutes ago, billyblack said:

Fine, but the players need to do their jobs as well and they arent, are they blameless in their shitness at the minute?

Of course they need to do their jobs but they will have a much better chance if the manager does his properly. It is pretty basic stuff.

1 hour ago, CLswfc said:

No we haven't