Nielsen

2 minutes ago, fpowl said:

The kids 20 year old he’s going to be raw with a few mistakes in bannan gave the ball away twice which also could of got us punished but he picked up man of the match 

a performance like that at this stage of his career especially with how much Sunderland had the ball in and  around our area was very positive

lad played well and should be encouraged to do so more. I’m sure he will pick up on the few mistakes that happened and doesn’t need reminding of them and he’ll work on them 

he was streets ahead of van

aken who looked very suspect in the first half. 

Put it this way I wouldn’t be too worried if he lined up in the championship 

Yes Bannan gave the ball away but his all round play contributed more to us winning the game than anyone, generally you make a mistake at the back and it gets punished, the first error could quite easily have led to a goal.

It was a decent performance from Nielsen but he was in a back 3 against a Sunderland side with 1 forward, not even a striker - I wouldn't go as far as great. I hope he comes good and it was good to see so many youngsters get a chance but I would be worried if he was in the side in the Championship and we don't look like keeping a clean sheet at that level as it is. He would be 5th choice CB for me at best.

5 minutes ago, Arthur Bach said:

He's 19 ffs.

Great performance in such a vital and daunting role.

Can only get better.

A league cup 1st round game against a League One side is daunting? He moved to us a year ago because Forest wouldn't play him, don't think it should be daunting for him to play at this stage.

He had a decent game but I wouldn't be expecting him to be a squad regular in the league based on that.

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

A league cup 1st round game against a League One side is daunting? He moved to us a year ago because Forest wouldn't play him, don't think it should be daunting for him to play at this stage.

He had a decent game but I wouldn't be expecting him to be a squad regular in the league based on that.

If you're a winger or a forward you can have a stinker and not effect the game, even a central midfielder can have an average game and its not the end of the world.

Playing centre back, at a young age, in a squad currently in flux and be able to turn in a good performance shows tenacity.

Just now, james o connor said:

Only Wednesday fans could pull to bits a 19 year old who did alright yet spend the last 12 months pining after a gangly kid they’d never seen just because his dad used to play for us . 

Who is pulling him to bits?

So much polar opinion on here, has to be either full of praise or completely negative, nothing in between.

51 minutes ago, KivoOwl said:

Connor O'Grady is a much better prospect IMO.

Think Nielsen is only getting in the side because of his height. Not very quick, not great on the ball.

Agreed. Disappointing that he's not been given another outing since his game against Carlisle last season; looked decent that night, and quite able on the ball.

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

So much polar opinion on here, has to be either full of praise or completely negative, nothing in between.

Highlighting how poor he is and what he can’t do . Tom lees can’t play football for sh!t and he’s done alright for himself . 

Again Hirst was a world beater despite still playing no first team games yet this lad apparently isn’t gonna make it after tonight’s performance. As usual I’ll reserve judgement until I’ve seen him a bit more 

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Just now, Arthur Bach said:

Boo boys of Hillsborough, can't wait to fold their arms and chunter on the Kop how useless that 20 year old is and how Sheridan and Hirst were better.

Case in point!

Didn't think Nielsen did too bad. Not overly impressed, but he held his own.

He doesn't look particularly comfortable on the ball, but his distribution was actually okay.

He's clearly got the physicality and I think he needs to use it more, but that kind of nous comes with games. 

6 minutes ago, Arthur Bach said:

Feel sorry for the youth at SWFC.

You can hear the knives being sharpened.

No one is sharpening the knives, just being level headed. He wasn't poor and he wasn't great, the post below sums his performance up fairly well, no need for the polar dividing opinions.

3 minutes ago, cowl said:

Didn't think Nielsen did too bad. Not overly impressed, but he held his own.

He doesn't look particularly comfortable on the ball, but his distribution was actually okay.

He's clearly got the physicality and I think he needs to use it more, but that kind of nous comes with games. 

I can be as negative as they come if I think a player has had a bad game.

This lad however I thought did well. Some good blocks, won majority in the air. Tackled well. Didn’t really let players get past him. For his lack of experience and first team games, at 19 I was impressed.

Problem now is lots of defenders are expected to bring the ball out. Wasn’t the best or most comfortable at this, but we’ve been screaming out for a dominating centre half for years and he potentially fits that mound. 

He did get away away with a poor header first half, but defensively I think he did his job well. I’m actually surprised at the criticism.

Also pleased the team kept a clean sheet.

Obvs he's no replacement for Venancio but he's got the stature and determination to succeed.

On Sun we could play him right of the 3 CB freeing up Hutch to replace Pelupessy in midfield.

Dawson

Baker

Neilsen

Lee's

Pudil

Thornily

Hutch

Bannan

Reach

FF

Dave

Or play Reach LWB and find space for FF and Matias to play off Nuhiu. Could do with Matias pace on break....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arthur Bach said:

He's 19 ffs.

Great performance in such a vital and daunting role.

Can only get better.

but rooney was 16 and in prem so and 19 hes obviously not got it!!!!! tbh people really do baffle me. on the face of it if he had a bad average or great game its 1 game but people scream to bring talent through and then slate them. He does need to grow and improve but not lads fault we cant buy owt better and no point writing him off or flip side turning him in to next pearson. yes everybody can have a option and thats what the platforms for just do think people take some comments to extreme and look for negitives

1 hour ago, NeonLeon said:

Bang on.

To be brutally honest he wouldn’t be anywhere near a pro club if he was 6’3 or below. Not really sure what he’s good at?

Very limited centre back who hopefully can learn the game quickly for his sake. He’s not at the level Beevers and Spurr came through at, and their careers have hardly been glittering. 

He’ll do a job filling in but O’Grady suits our style loads more than both Lee and Neilsen imo.

he wouldn’t be anywhere near a pro club if he was 6’3 or below.... so he has got to pro ranks on height alone nothing else.... and tbh even if it is like saying if jj was slow he wouldnt have made it but he was . lads lucky natural genetics been kind but in this day and age to think height alone got him to pr ranks imo a little naive