Hillsborough in the 1960's

TorryOwl, Ive always wondered before the  days of segregation, my Dad talked about changing ends at half time to hopefully see Wednesday score each half, but why was the kop or was the kop more popular ? I would have thought with the leppings lane end having a roof then that would have been better for the atmosphere and staying dry ? ! Cheers for any info.

On 12/01/2018 at 11:51, torryowl said:

what it looked like when I first went (62) .....that little cover where the n/w corner is was a strange structure 

post-240-1174069748.jpg

3A42B9A6-05B0-4087-A25F-359BFAFD3CFF.jpeg.ace71925f243fb689fce4c2c85873639.jpeg

It was the last remnants of an old stand that had been carved up over time.

3 hours ago, owlthorpe said:

TorryOwl, Ive always wondered before the  days of segregation, my Dad talked about changing ends at half time to hopefully see Wednesday score each half, but why was the kop or was the kop more popular ? I would have thought with the leppings lane end having a roof then that would have been better for the atmosphere and staying dry ? ! Cheers for any info.

you couldn't change ends once the north stand was built in 61 ......no idea why the kop was more popular at a guess it could be because when the ground opened the lepp was only a small terrace and the kop was the best vantage point and even when the lepp was extended the kop remained the fans favourite place possibly because the lepp had a low rake and not that good a view on a crowded day ........

On 12/01/2018 at 01:24, ash60s said:

2 bob to get in programme 3d happy daze until we changed the kit in 67..........................:Chansiri:

Yeh and I swear there was uproar when it went up to half a crown. 

Thats 12.5 pence in today’s money.

• Like 1

'Guest''s two pictures are very true. The first one is after the North Cantilever was built. The second is the ground as I remember from my first oiutings. There was entrance at either end. If you wanted to stand, you had FIVE options. You could stand on the Kop. On the Leppings Lane, you could either stand in the open behind the goal, or go back under the roofed part on top of which was one of the finest scoreboards of its time, or you could go under cover where the NW was covered (where the 'cheese wedge' is now,or you could walk round the back of The Old Stand, as it was called in those days, and for a small sum, transfer into this, where you could either sit at the back or stand on the terrace , both under cover, relatively cheaply, or if you felt a little flush you could enter the ground via the South , or New Stand, wings and stand on the terraces in front of the stand.. The South \Stand Terraces were, I believe, just a tad more expensive than the Old Stand.

You could certainly enter from either leppings lane or Kop if you wanted to stand behind either goal,walk behind the old stand to stand whichever end you wanted, or even transfer for the Old Stand..

I think one of the main reasons for preference was the preference Wednesday had for kicking downhill towards the Kop in the second half. At that time, teams came out individually, not side by side, with the Home team usually coming out first. Any warming up done in those days would be under cover in the dressing rooms. If, as they usually did, Wed. came out first, they invariably went to the Kop end.       

The Wednesday cantilever was the SECOND to be built. The first was a small affair built by Scunthorpe Steel Works as a promotion, for Scunthorpe United