Christmas Day On Owlstalk Thread

4 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

It's tough Simon. Especially at this time of year, when it's all about peace and love.

I'd just like to say to the 4 neggers, that I'm here for them, and I feel their pain.

lol

Make that 5.

Merry Christmas lol

ps - I’ll be round soon, get the vodka out.

Edited by theowlsman

7 hours ago, Maple Staple said:

Merry Christmas to one and all from Canada. Spoke to my Dad in Sheffield at 12am this morning and opening a few presents in front of him, he opened the presents I sent him. Had 4 mini chocolate hedgehogs to start the day, big breakfast of (Sausage, bacon, scrambled eggs, beans, 4 pieces of fried bread) . Christmas meal at lunch time, then off the see the new Star Wars movie and Jumangi straight afterwards. Top Christmas planning !

Hi Maple glad to hear your dad is well; mate merry xmas to you both buddy ,been that long since you posted I thought you had been kidnapped by those eastern ladies lol 

55 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

Only just been able to log on in the last hour or so. Been reyyyyyyt busy.

Got up about 8 am and got showered, Then had to wrap more presents for the kids after being up until 2 am doing so the previous evening, before going downstairs to make everyone breakfast. Also cleaned the hearth, and got the fire going, putting on some logs.

Had the father-in-law and his partner around for Christmas dinner, and I do all the cooking, so its been manic.Kids were very disciplined in waiting for our visitors to arrive before opening their presents with Grandad present. Good my kids although if it were down to me, I’d let them open them when they wanted. Totted up what we’d spent on the kids’ presents and realised where all the money I give to the wife goes, and why I’m on first name speaking terms with the postman, and the delivery men from Amazon, Yodel etc who I see nearly every day of the year.

Briefly watched the kids opening some of their pressies before retreating to the kitchen to sort out the Turkey crown. Smeared it with butter, then laid streaky bacon over the top, and bunged it in the oven. Then prepared the veg ready to go in the steamer. Would also be having a baked ham and meatloaf, but had already prepared / made those yesterday, so would just need reheating. Then made a vegetable and ham soup before peeling, then gently frying, some tiger prawns. Used those to make prawn cocktails, with a cheat marie rose sauce (salad cream, tomato ketchup, paprika and chilli powder).

Madness continued getting everything ready for dinner which I served at about 4 pm. Sweet was a choice between homemade trifle (done yesterday) or Christmas pudding.

Plenty of wine and eventually the pleasure of all the tidying up, washing pots etc. 3 dishwasher fulls later, all sorted.

Then into the lounge for some telly that never was as my son played Call of Duty WW2 on his Playstation 4. I settled for a rest with a cuppa. Guests eventually left, and here I am now wondering what happened to my day and when Christmas will start fir me.

A bog standard Christmas. As usual, still haven’t had chance to open my presents, might do so tomorrow. Will also be preparing my fishing gear tomorrow for a match on Wednesday at Cudmore alongside Fishomania winner Andy May, his Dad Steve, and the usual Christmas crew I fish with this time of year.

Pinkies and bread punch at the ready. It’s a silvers only match (of course this only makes sense if you’re an angler lol)

best of luck mate, I packed in reading after the last sentence    lol have a great day tomorrow mate and best wishes for today 

17 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

Spencerowl - brought a tear to my eye mate. All the best to you and yours. You deserve to have a special Christmas. You sound like a brilliant Dad too.

Trev - all the best to Di. Give her my love. And stop that decorating mullarkey at Christmas. Put the telly on and grab a beer instead.

Andy - I hope you had a back up for the turkey?

Mr Farrell - What’s it like being the new owlsman? Just remember that when the negging stops, the love begins lol

I will pass on the message Simon I promise, had to do house mate had to move into a bigger bedroom so she can be helped to move around 

12 hours ago, Bladeor said:

Merry Xmas to all owls fans. Today is a day of peace and happiness. Today the 2-4 destruction shall be left alone and I wish all of you the very best for today and the new year.

Happy Boxing Day!

I'll try and have a little think of anything related to a proper destruction, a massacre even, related to today in particular and be back in touch....

In the meanwhile have a very happy Chrimbo!

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Spencerowl said:

Six years ago I lost my wife to he big c, we had two small children at the time and although I have now moved on from this and happy with my partner (who is a saint by the way) ,  I still for the kids sake miss their mum. 

we try everything to keep her memory alive for them, but as they were only one and two at the time it’s hard as I don’t think they remember her, it’s hard this time of year for all the spencer household but all kids smiling and happy today. 

Happy Christmas to all Owls, treasure your family’s x 

In the same boat fella, also 6 years, although my kids were older and indeed my lad was 17 today (Xmas Day).

Always a trickier day for us than them which means we are doing something right on the whole I think.  

It's still just me and I might have left it too late to move on properly now,  we'll see, but we are with good friends for the holidays, their mum has been remembered "naturally" at various points throughout the day and her memory screams out of almost everything my older daughter (18) does and says as well as looks and also in my son too in some of his ways especially football.  She was a pig so I let him be so too.

As sad and difficult as these days are I agree with your sentiment that it teaches us to perhaps treasure them a touch more.

Happy Christmas and thanks also for my "lucky" avatar.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

In the same boat fella, also 6 years, although my kids were older and indeed my lad was 17 today (Xmas Day).

Always a trickier day for us than them which means we are doing something right on the whole I think.  

It's still just me and I might have left it too late to move on properly now,  we'll see, but we are with good friends for the holidays, their mum has been remembered "naturally" at various points throughout the day and her memory screams out of almost everything my older daughter (18) does and says as well as looks and also in my son too in some of his ways especially football.  She was a pig so I let him be so too.

As sad and difficult as these days are I agree with your sentiment that it teaches us to perhaps treasure them a touch more.

And all the best to you and yours too. Best wishes.

4 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

can't  plus you Sob I have run out mate but your story bought a tear to my eye as it did many years ago when you first told it, you did so well mate keeping things going for the kids and that is the greatest gift you could ever give them ,my hat is off to you mate you are a star 

5 minutes ago, trevdi9 said:

can't  plus you Sob I have run out mate but your story bought a tear to my eye as it did many years ago when you first told it, you did so well mate keeping things going for the kids and that is the greatest gift you could ever give them ,my hat is off to you mate you are a star 

I've done alright and I've also had my moments and you don't do too bad yourself as it happens....

I hope everything goes ok when you get your good lady home and I'm back for the derby at that shithole next month and probably at least a week after.  If you can catch a deserved break, I'll buy you and your minder a pint (of Fanta).

Edited by sonofbert2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

In a way I find this quite comforting that someone else goes through the same pain, but also would not wish it on my worst enemy so a bit of a catch 22. 

Kids are the one emotional rollercoaster and forever throw a spanner in the works of your own personal responsibility or journey of grief to throw you back a year or by doing something completely innocent digging up memory’s or emotions you didn’t think you still had. 

My wife (and my current partner is the same) has no time for football, she did come to sheff a few times with me, however it’s something us lads can do to take away together just us that has always appealed to me.

i made a pack with a friend to be more social and have a hobby, I am now a ST holder for the club I have supported my whole life, this won’t change. It’s something we as a family can do, and that’s worth whatever it costs. 

It it makes me laugh reading some of the comments on here about what are I’m afraid trivial issues, Wednesday to me are spending time with my boys following a club (that’s lets be honest no one supports for the glory) and being together. Win lose or draw it doesn’t matter. 

What matters is bringing the kids up the best you can, a sentiment you obviously follow and we all do the best we can don’t we? You have to carry on no matter what hand life deals you. 

Enjoy them, and enjoy what you do and be completely honest as children are not stupid. If you are happy and treat them with respect they have a funny way of sorting themselves out to be the little people you aspire them be. 

I dont understand the acatar bit tho? Why am I lucky for you? 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

I've done alright and I've also had my moments and you don't do too bad yourself as it happens....

I hope everything goes ok when you get your good lady home and I'm back for the derby at that shithole next month and probably at least a week after.  If you can catch a deserved break, I'll buy you and your minder a pint (of Fanta).

bless you mate lol

1 minute ago, Spencerowl said:

In a way I find this quite comforting that someone else goes through the same pain, but also would not wish it on my worst enemy so a bit of a catch 22. 

Kids are the one emotional rollercoaster and forever throw a spanner in the works of your own personal responsibility or journey of grief to throw you back a year or by doing something completely innocent digging up memory’s or emotions you didn’t think you still had. 

My wife (and my current partner is the same) has no time for football, she did come to sheff a few times with me, however it’s something us lads can do to take away together just us that has always appealed to me.

i made a pack with a friend to be more social and have a hobby, I am now a ST holder for the club I have supported my whole life, this won’t change. It’s something we as a family can do, and that’s worth whatever it costs. 

It it makes me laugh reading some of the comments on here about what are I’m afraid trivial issues, Wednesday to me are spending time with my boys following a club (that’s lets be honest no one supports for the glory) and being together. Win lose or draw it doesn’t matter. 

What matters is bringing the kids up the best you can, a sentiment you obviously follow and we all do the best we can don’t we? You have to carry on no matter what hand life deals you. 

Enjoy them, and enjoy what you do and be completely honest as children are not stupid. If you are happy and treat them with respect they have a funny way of sorting themselves out to be the little people you aspire them be. 

I dont understand the acatar bit tho? Why am I lucky for you? 

Re. the avatar, I think, although I might be wrong, that it was you who posted this picture of RW for some reason and it was just so horrible that I had to have it and I change them for superstitious reasons.

I guess I chose to use football, something my wife loved and knew her stuff about, in the same way but differently after her death.  Simply as a positive experience to share in particular with my son.

My wife would wind me up she'd make him a Blade, had she lived there would have been absolutely nofucking chance.  

He's lived in Spain from 5 months old, he picked Barcelona to go against the grain when they were in a bad period and amongst almost everyone else being Real Madrid.  Anyway, he's also a pig, through the Mind the Gap season and thereafter he continued.  None of my mates can still believe this although they understand totally. 

By sheer coincidence one of his best mates also came originally from Sheffield and he and his younger brother also grunt.  We all have a good laugh and we don't hold back but it's made me less hateful and he fights his mum's corner well.  We watched the derby this season together.  The words piggytwat had just left my mouth when they got the 3rd and he was laughing in my face.  The momentary desire to violently assault him turned to laughter.  This is progress, his mum once tried to kill me with her flip flop when I laughed and danced  too much when they were relegated under Warnock.

Anyway, point is that it's turned into a positive way of trying to deal with the worst thing to happen in both our lives.

Your story gave me comfort too at the end  of a very nice but always difficult day.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, trevdi9 said:

Hi Maple glad to hear your dad is well; mate merry xmas to you both buddy ,been that long since you posted I thought you had been kidnapped by those eastern ladies lol 

Hi Trev, Merry Xmas to you and your family and a happy new year. Yes, don't get to post as often as I would like. Not been kidnapped by Eastern ladies lol 

• Haha 1