The truth about why Eric Cantona didn't join Sheffield Wednesday

On ‎31‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:40, matthefish2002 said:

We had to off load Paul Williams at same time as signing Mark Bright to fund the deal.

Good point but you would hope that if we could put a deal together to sign Mark Bright we could have done the same to sign Waddle.

I heard we could not afford Cantona's wages as they would have upset the apple cart. People used to talk less rubbish about managers back then and judge people more on what they did.

Big Ron was a brilliant  manager and one of our best but Francis got us to beat united and in one huge game that really mattered to the fans. We were favourites for the title one year under Francis. He was not a brilliant man manager but took us that extra step up as a team. We went downhill after he was gone and were only just starting to head back in the right direction until DC messed up.

No idea why my phone underlined all this!

It has to be remembered that cantona as brilliant as he turned out to be would have been brought in as number two to Hirst at best. Maybe he saw Chapman and Wallace as less competition than Hirst and Williams,we will never know how it would have turned out but it would have been nice to have the chance 

12 hours ago, Wakefield owl said:

He only got 20 odd games out of him before selling him for a relatively small transfer fee - not sure that was over smart?

Helped them get over the line to win the title. The last English manager to do so.

Eric Cantona was a frustrating miss.

The Frenchman was on trial at Wednesday but the pitches were frozen so he played instead in an indoor tournament at the Sheffield Arena.

Scudamore’s golden handshake is not personal but he  feels it is not in the game’s interest

‘Chris Waddle came up to my box and said we had to sign him,’ recalls Richards.

But the manager (Trevor Francis) still insisted he wanted to see Eric play on grass.' 

'Eric was in my house when Howard Wilkinson called me from his house about 500 yards away to say he was signing him for Leeds.’

Owlstalk Shop