The truth about why Eric Cantona didn't join Sheffield Wednesday

8 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

The Family left for Tunisia just as the Owls were kicking off against Leeds. No information so I sent a message  into captains cabin for a heads up on our progress. I heard nothing so assumed he'd forgotten as we were about to go down the steps, "You the Sheffield fan ?" I nodded. "Lost 6-1, sorry". Must be a wind up I thought.

Couldn't get any confirmation from our Hotel and the nearest papers according to reception would be a 2 mile walk into Souse. So after Breakfast the 6 of us trooped off to Souse. Finally found a £2 copy of the daily Mirror and there it was half a dozen boxed lines confirming that Leeds had beaten us 6-1 on our own patch.

It was scant consolation that on an inside page there was 1/4 page article on an unknown Frenchman we had acquired by the name of Cantona. The article in the main was going on about his bad boy image...It all passed me by really because by the time we were back in Sheffield Catona had hitched a ride up the M1, I suppose he could never hope to match Gordon Watson and his somersault penalty trick.

As for Tricky poor bloke just was a misfit when he hung up his boots. He had neither the management skills or the sense of humour to get a dressing room on side ! Shame really !   

Ahh, you do realise you are becoming a poor imitation of Lord Snooty don’t you ?

I suggest you change tact my man, what...

1 hour ago, slinger208b said:

this bit:

After being turned down by Liverpool, Cantona was given a trial at Sheffield Wednesday when Wednesday manager Trevor Francis was approached by Platini and Francis' former agent, Dennis Roach. In a 2012 interview Francis explained that he had agreed to take Cantona on as a favour to Roach and Platini, who he knew from his time playing in Italy, and that it was intended as an opportunity for Cantona to put himself in the "shop window": Wednesday had only recently been promoted back to the top flight, with most of the squad still being on Second Division-level wages, and the club could not afford to sign him. Cantona spent two days with Wednesday, training and playing in an indoor tournament at Sheffield Arena.[20]

1 hour ago, DuttyTeabags said:

We would have won the title with him. We were close as it was. Hirst, Waddle and Cantona up front. 

I might go and have a work one

If we brought Cantona I doubt we would have been able to afford Waddle as well.

Think basically Cantona wanted big wages and Wednesday didn't think he was worth the risk. In hindsight the incorrect decision but one I can understand then making at the time.

53 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

If we brought Cantona I doubt we would have been able to afford Waddle as well.

Think basically Cantona wanted big wages and Wednesday didn't think he was worth the risk. In hindsight the incorrect decision but one I can understand then making at the time.

We signed Mark Bright for £1m after we signed Waddle so we would have been able to afford both.

22 minutes ago, Bark1062 said:

Absolutely! the wednesday way innit, turn a great opportunity into a f-ck up.

Nope it was not.

At around the time Eric came on the scene several high profile clubs...including us were under investigation by HMRC...we were absolutely clean btw, nevertheless accounts were scrutinised going back quite a few years...as were quite a few other clubs.

The investigation revolved around,  signing sweetners...in simple terms backhanders for signing.

Some players signed and understood the tax implications and signed anyway.

Some players didn't.

Some clubs were at the time not under investigation

On 03/10/2017 at 10:22, talon said:

Many years ago, I was invited up on a jolly to see a L***s game by one of the clubs professional advisors (as in accountancy/legal etc).

It was a few years after Cantona had been moved on to Man U.

Anyway, it would seem that Eric had been indulging in a bit of ooh-la-la with one of the Directors wives, hence when Ferguson made the enquiry (fully expecting an immediate knockback) he was 'gobsmacked' to be told Man U could gladly have him.

Lad!

I can recall Leslie Ash being mentioned.