The truth about why Eric Cantona didn't join Sheffield Wednesday

1 hour ago, vulva said:

Wednesday used to train at Aurora, and Cantona played 90 minutes in a full scale practice match. Think it was against Oldham. He scored a hat trick, the last one a 30 yard free kick. I know this I as was ballboy. I don't think not signing him was anything to do with the urban myth about playing on grass, although the above game was on the AstroTurf. 

There was a picture on the wall of the bar at Aurora showing Cantona on the astro turf, in the distance  you could make out the blurred image of Tricky Trev. 

What might have been if we had signed Cantona. 

UTO'S 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vulva said:

Looks like my memory serves me well. That Astro was as good as grass. We were just looking for an excuse. 

Don't forget at the time our Chairman was Dave 'No Controversy' Richards who was complicit in the near bankruptcy of our club, so bringing in a player like Cantona was never going to fit with the Chairman's vision.  

30 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think the simple reason we didn't sign Cantona was down to money.

Thought I read somewhere his wage demands would have put him comfortably Wednesday highest paid player and the club thought he wasn't worth the risk in light of his past history. Probably an incorrect one in hindsight but I suspect like Di Canio he would have only used the club as a stop gab before going somewhere else.

I disagree having read SWFC through the Modern Era, money was not so much an issue as Dave Richards alleged vision for our club.

1 hour ago, vulva said:

Looks like my memory serves me well. That Astro was as good as grass. We were just looking for an excuse. 

Astro as good as grass back then? Will have been low pile 2G wouldn't it? 

I take your point though that we should have still been able to make a judgement had we really wanted him.  

The astro turf I remember in those days was like the stuff the greengrocer used for displaying his veg, laid directly over concrete.

I once scored a peach at Aurora and whirled away in delight attempting to recreate a Jarzinho knee slide....my knees reduced to two gaping bloody bloody wounds 

2017-10-03 09.31.30.png

Edited by Lord Snooty
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Me and my dad went to the indoor match. He didn't look that great TBH lolWhatever the rights or wrongs of this, we really did miss out on a massive talent but I'm not convinced we would have managed him effectively at that time. 

PS Anyone remember that interview with Cantona, Chapman and Batty after they had won the League (with John Helm I think) where Batty was trying to get Cantona to understand his English so Chapman stepped in and just asked him questions in English with a French accent? Fecking hilarious!

4 minutes ago, Almat said:

Me and my dad went to the indoor match. He didn't look that great TBH lolWhatever the rights or wrongs of this, we really did miss out on a massive talent but I'm not convinced we would have managed him effectively at that time. 

PS Anyone remember that interview with Cantona, Chapman and Batty after they had won the League (with John Helm I think) where Batty was trying to get Cantona to understand his English so Chapman stepped in and just asked him questions in English with a French accent? Fecking hilarious!

A bit like Joey Barton :duntmatter:

As for Cantona.... not sure he'd have worked anyway.

As we know from the endless hour's of footage of him at work for Man Utd he liked to play in a deeper role doing his own thing.

Hirsty worked far better with a forward foil who would work the channels. 

Like Rod Wallace did for L**d's or Saunders did for Villa. 

But that's another debate.

Think the answer to Cantona's non signing is quite obvious.

Trevor Francis knew that he would be unable to handle Cantona's volatile nature. IMO that's the top and bottom of the matter.:wacko:

1 hour ago, steveger said:

2 cup finals, European football and a 3rd place finish then sacked for 13th place and

CHRIS WADDLE,

right about Eric the seagull chaser....we missed out BIG time , christ knows who is to blame...probably a bit of both, 2 ego's

And won nowt.  That team had already won a trophy.  Any manager worth his salt would have gone on to win more trophies and possibly a league title with the squad he inherited. 

Lots of ifs and buts here. As we came 3rd in that 1991-92 season, and as Leeds, who did sign Cantona, went on to win the league that season (and then, of course, Cantona went on to even greater success at Man Utd), it's tempting to wonder what would have happened had we signed him. However, a) Cantona's contribution to Leeds's success wasn't that great, and b) we would have had to have had a miraculous second half of the season to have won the league even with Cantona. From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991–92_in_English_football and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991–92_Sheffield_Wednesday_F.C._season we can see that we won 43 of our 75 points that season in our 25 games prior to the end of January, and 32 in the 17 after. So in terms of points per game, we did much better afterwards anyway. Furthermore, to top Leeds we would have needed another 8 points, or 40 from the last 17 games. That equates to around 99 in a 42-game season (as opposed to 43 from 25, which equates to around 72, or 32 from 17, which equates to around 79). So Cantona's impact would have had to have been astonishing that season. 

The next question, as Lord Snooty has just pointed out, is where Cantona would have played. If we'd signed him, would we have signed Waddle? Would a team with Waddle, Sheridan, Cantona and two strikers have worked? I'm not sure it would have. 

18 minutes ago, Almat said:

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, Sova said:

Lots of ifs and buts here. As we came 3rd in that 1991-92 season, and as Leeds, who did sign Cantona, went on to win the league that season (and then, of course, Cantona went on to even greater success at Man Utd), it's tempting to wonder what would have happened had we signed him. However, a) Cantona's contribution to Leeds's success wasn't that great, and b) we would have had to have had a miraculous second half of the season to have won the league even with Cantona. From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991–92_in_English_football and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991–92_Sheffield_Wednesday_F.C._season we can see that we won 43 of our 75 points that season in our 25 games prior to the end of January, and 32 in the 17 after. So in terms of points per game, we did much better afterwards anyway. Furthermore, to top Leeds we would have needed another 8 points, or 40 from the last 17 games. That equates to around 99 in a 42-game season (as opposed to 43 from 25, which equates to around 72, or 32 from 17, which equates to around 79). So Cantona's impact would have had to have been astonishing that season. 

The next question, as Lord Snooty has just pointed out, is where Cantona would have played. If we'd signed him, would we have signed Waddle? Would a team with Waddle, Sheridan, Cantona and two strikers have worked? I'm not sure it would have. 

Some good points there.

I'd have loved to see Cantona and Hirst up front with Di Canio and Waddle out wide.

Owlstalk Shop

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Recalling an instance where Cantona was the subject of a practical joke, whereby his cowboy boots were tied together thrown to the ceiling of the dressing room and wrapped around a light fitting, Watson adds that Cantona did not take the prank personally. “He was as good as gold,” he said

BANTS

30 minutes ago, ramone said:

We were never signing him. I'm sure Francis went on record saying it was a favour to Michel Platini to have him train with us. It was never on the table that we were going to sign him. 

Trevor  would've never been able to handle him.

Suspect he'd have still ended up at Old Trafford anyway.

Edited by Lord Snooty