Van Aken

Just now, cowl said:

van Aken was excellent defensively and offensively against Cardiff (top of the league) too might I add.

His carrying of the ball forward before releasing Reach to cross into Hooper and his 60 yard inch perfect pass to Fletcher who really should have done better with his chance, were highlights of the game.

Couldnt give a *** guy could have cost us at least 1 goal in every game hes played for us

16 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Yet again, every time I see a thread like this I've got to ask "where is the one for Lees"? Now Tom was far better than van Aken yesterday, but Lees has made a number of positional mistakes already this season and not one thread on Owlstalk.

van Aken however seems to be getting two threads after every game. The bias on here is bizarre sometimes it really is. Objectively Lees is the better player/defender, and objectively he played better than van Aken yesterday; but equally objectively for the say 10 threads van Aken has accumulated on Owlstalk over the last month for his performances, Lees has 'deserved' 4, yet none exist

Some are just determined to be blinkered

The problem is, as I predicted when he made his debut and the board filled with “he’s the greatest defender since Nilsson” type threads, people on here built him up WAY above his actual talent level. Inevitably it was a long way down from that high pedestal and when the natural mistakes a young defender new to the league would make crept in people have decided he’s shït. Bi-polar to the max.

The truth is that he’s ok. Just that, just ok. He won’t ever be a full Dutch international but he will be a steady Championship defender one day, he has a lot to learn. Hopefully with us he will live up to his potential, until then people need to wake up to the fact he’s learning his trade and when he plays mistakes will happen.

2 minutes ago, Fibonacci91 said:

Guy is shocking...said it about Reach, said it about Jones, said it about Abdi...in about 4 weeks there will be threads on here slating Van Aken...I can almost guarantee e it. If by Jan Owlstalk hasnt turned on Van Aken I'll give a hundred pounds to charity. 

Basically, you want a badge for being the first to turn on him. Well done, son!

Many posters have raised the same concerns about van Aken's defensive displays though. I pointed to them myself also in this thread. There's been loads of threads about Reach - many not praising him. Same with Jones. People aren't agreeing with your position because it's ridiculously extreme.

Totally disagree with the OP here on this one. 

Totally shocking is such a harsh critique for a player that played in clean sheet keeping back 4. He looks a little light weight for me at the moment and as I said in the other Van Aken thread yesterday, he doesn't replace Loovens just yet. 

But you can see the lad has ability. To call him out for being shocking after completing only his 4th game for us is absolutely absurd. He's a young lad that has moved to a different country at a young age. He is playing in a league that is poles apart from the league he's come from in terms of physicality and tempo. Give the lad a break and give him a chance to settle in a bit before judging him. 

Personally i think he's done ok. I wasn't getting carried away like others after the Forest game as I saw weaknesses in him game then with his defending. 

Give the lad time. He'll be a diamond for us i'm sure

1 minute ago, cowl said:

Basically, you want a badge for being the first to turn on him. Well done, son!

Many posters have raised the same concerns about van Aken's defensive displays though. I pointed to them myself also in this thread. There's been loads of threads about Reach - many not praising him. Same with Jones. People aren't agreeing with your position because it's ridiculously extreme.

Is it ridiculously extreme...or was it ridiculously extreme to claim he was a great player after his first game just cos he looked decent with the ball...even though he cost us a goal

9 minutes ago, Fibonacci91 said:

Guy is shocking...said it about Reach, said it about Jones, said it about Abdi...in about 4 weeks there will be threads on here slating Van Aken...I can almost guarantee e it. If by Jan Owlstalk hasnt turned on Van Aken I'll give a hundred pounds to charity. 

Apparently, this guy 'supports' Sheffield Wednesday 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Fibonacci91 said:

Is it ridiculously extreme...or was it ridiculously extreme to claim he was a great player after his first game just cos he looked decent with the ball...even though he cost us a goal

They're both ridiculously extreme views.

At the end of the day I think the second you take either extreme view in this scenario you're going to come out with egg on your face. I can see this thread resurfacing in March and a lot of people laughing at some of the stuff said in here.

First two games for us van Aken looked overall as good as anything in this division at CB, last 2/3 he's been defensively suspect to say the least, but even then he's looked good compared to some CB's I've seen at Hillsborough over the last couple of years. FFS compared to the Leeds CB that wasn't Jansen yesterday Joost looked like an international...

3 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

At the end of the day I think the second you take either extreme view in this scenario you're going to come out with egg on your face. I can see this thread resurfacing in March and a lot of people laughing at some of the stuff said in here.

First two games for us van Aken looked overall as good as anything in this division at CB, last 2/3 he's been defensively suspect to say the least, but even then he's looked good compared to some CB's I've seen at Hillsborough over the last couple of years. FFS compared to the Leeds CB that wasn't Jansen yesterday Joost looked like an international...

I do not think he looked overall as good as anything in this division...he looked good with the ball but made defensive mistakes in both games!!!

So no...he did not look as good as anything in this division. People on here are just blinded by by blonde flowing looks flying about in the wind and he looks sexy as anything pulling some great tekkers out the bag with a 60 yard pass. Embarrassing and incredibly simplistic view on the game.

1 minute ago, Fibonacci91 said:

I do not think he looked overall as good as anything in this division...he looked good with the ball but made defensive mistakes in both games!!!

So no...he did not look as good as anything in this division. People on here are just blinded by by blonde flowing looks flying about in the wind and he looks sexy as anything pulling some great tekkers out the bag with a 60 yard pass. Embarrassing and incredibly simplistic view on the game.

As opposed to your incredibly nuanced and sophisticated view on the game? 

• Haha 1

Just now, StudentOwl said:

As opposed to your incredibly nuanced and sophisticated view on the game? 

Ye mate pretty much...at least i have a little more insight into the game than to see a defender pulling off a 60 yard pass and to instantly dub him the real deal...I have that little bit of insight and ability to analyse, other than to just say exactly what I see as soon as I see it.

27 minutes ago, Fibonacci91 said:

He definitely will not go all the way...he may become a decent player for us...but he definitely will not go all the way...if by some chance I am wrong and he does go all the way...In his performances so far for wednesady...he has sure as hell not shown that he will go all the way.

I love people like you - Mr Football Manager 2017, I forgot you are a FIFA A License holder.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

I think the lunge that lead to Forest's goal, and the lunge that lead to the Brentford(?) free-kick on the edge of the box, showed naivety.

Since then he has been unconvincing, and had his name been Vincent rather than Joost he would have been torn to shreds on here.

On the plus side he is very good in the air and his distribution is on another level.

On balance I think he is a very promising talent, and I can see why the price tag. I am very happy he is ours. But right now I would be more comfortable with a fit Loovens, or failing that a fit Hutch, alongside Lees, while Joost learns a bit more.

30 minutes ago, Fibonacci91 said:

Sorry I should have said shockingly poor back 4...makeshift was a bit misleading as you are right...they are all defenders at least...just really poor ones.

Shocking? Van Aken? Admittedly I think some over egged the praise based on his passing on his debut. But I wouldn't call him shocking. 

Van Aken has been thrust into a new team, at a time in the season we there were some huge games coming up. Hes come from a league that plays the game at half a mile an hour and in nis first month jas had to face a Warnock side and a Sheffield Derby. All things considered he's done ok.  Let's give the boy chance to settle in. There are bound to be wobbles

As for the rest of the defence being really poor?

They too have had a wobble. Players do. I can remember Hirsty going ten games without a goal once.  

It's form. It can dip.

Doesn't make you a poor player. 

Many of these same players have been pushing to break the clean sheets record year on year for the last four.

I'm not sure why all the overly negative hyperbole.

Edited by Lord Snooty
  • Like 1

Just now, Holmowl said:

I think the lunge that lead to Forest's goal, and the lunge that lead to the Brentford(?) free-kick on the edge of the box, showed naivety.

Since then he has been unconvincing, and had his name been Vincent rather than Joost he would have been torn to shreds on here.

On the plus side he is very good in the air and his distribution is on another level.

On balance I think he is a very promising talent, and I can see why the price tag. I am very happy he is ours. But right now I would be more comfortable with a fit Loovens, or failing that a fit Hutch, alongside Lees, while Joost learns a bit more.

Had two complete mares against Leeds that should have led to goals.