Van Aken

I remember some fans not taking to Tom Lees or Loovens when they first arrived either and this is Joosts first ever season in English football, at championship level and as a Wednesday player. He has been thrown pretty much straight into the squad, because our established English, Championship defender actually was costing us a goal a game and Tom Lees was looking shell shocked because of it. If we are going to measure Joost's performances against one of our other centre halves who is already established as a Championship and as  Wednesday player, then Tom Lees himself cost us three goals against the pigs, conceding the free kick & not covering the obvious knock back, letting Clarke past for the second and not heading the ball straight out for the 4th.

Just consider that during his 1st six games he has played against 4 teams in the top half of the table, 3 of those in the top 5 and two of those were local grudge matches, with a clean sheet in one game and only one team scoring more than one against us.

Pretty good for a 24 year old who will improve with every game he plays.

Well done Joost. I am sure that Tom will also get back to his best once they have really started to click. Good defensive understand takes months not minutes. I really cannot understand how people who have never even worked abroad can be so heavily critical of coaches and players who come over here and make such a good go of it.

I know that Joost will be very good for us because Carlos is picking him for every game while Loovens is out.

13 minutes ago, Oliver Read said:

I actually think it's disgusting that you're trying to put down a young lad who is excited to join the club and develop himself. 

He has come from a very good academy in Heerenveen where the fans loved him and he was an exciting and positive defender. 

Don't you remember Carlos' story in his first season about one of the defenders he coached who always got booed? Cheer him, be positive and help him with his development, don't just make him a scapegoat because you don't rate him.

Do you...do you think its disgusting...ok

I think its totally moronic to laud a player after 90 mins of passing the ball quite far and in the air.

4 minutes ago, Fibonacci91 said:

Do you...do you think its disgusting...ok

I think its totally moronic to laud a player after 90 mins of passing the ball quite far and in the air.

Ha. I see that you couldn't think of anything clever to reply to that, maybe because you realise how pathetic it is now...

And, to an extent, there's nothing wrong with lauding him. Yes, maybe it was a bit over the top, but he came on his debut, started, and played his game. That takes big balls to step into this league and do that, pretty well may I add. We have our more traditional defender in Lees, now let Van Aken develop into the ball playing defender that he is working to become. Don't just slag him off for it. 

Edited by Oliver Read

50 minutes ago, Fibonacci91 said:

Because its important to not just react on a game by game basis...I have a long term opinion on what will happen this season that isnt based on one game at a time...this is because i have insight into the game and an ability to analyse...I dont just say what I see week by week.

It is my opinion that Van Aken isnt that great and this is built on my analysis over the period not just one game.

It is my opinion that whilst we will often blow teams away...10-12 times this season we will need a plan b, which we don't have. This is often enough to prevent us from getting promoted. That is an opinion based on what I have seen this season...this doesn't change based on whether we win/loose or play well/badly.

So it's one Central Defenders fault/responsibility for our plan B or lack of it........?????

WTF are you even on about your post make zero sense 

I really don't get some people, this lad is 23/24 has never played outside of Holland, he has come to us been thrown in the deep end and performed admiralty considering whats going on around him, against Sheff Utd Wallace and Reach were very poor and Van Aken had to cover 3 positions for most of the match and struggled, couple to that Clarke's second when Lees a £10m center back got pushed off the ball from a fat lad for Brum then you cannot blame it all on Van Aken.   

Give him a full season at Championship level and this kid is going to be a star, not to mention if we don't go up then Premiership clubs will be sniffing around as he is Tailor made for the premiership with his distribution

A side point are we ever going to see the Portuguese center half or is this another classic Carlos money wasting exercise. To not even make the bench seems strange. Maybe he has fallen into the same black hole Matias has disappeared into again. 

13 minutes ago, room0035 said:

I really don't get some people, this lad is 23/24 has never played outside of Holland, he has come to us been thrown in the deep end and performed admiralty considering whats going on around him, against Sheff Utd Wallace and Reach were very poor and Van Aken had to cover 3 positions for most of the match and struggled, couple to that Clarke's second when Lees a £10m center back got pushed off the ball from a fat lad for Brum then you cannot blame it all on Van Aken.   

Give him a full season at Championship level and this kid is going to be a star, not to mention if we don't go up then Premiership clubs will be sniffing around as he is Tailor made for the premiership with his distribution

A side point are we ever going to see the Portuguese center half or is this another classic Carlos money wasting exercise. To not even make the bench seems strange. Maybe he has fallen into the same black hole Matias has disappeared into again. 

Agree with everything except the bit about Vennaccio being a waste of money - Palmer covered RB and Pudil LB/CB from the bench yesterday so being a waste of money is stupid talk. We will get injuries and he will be thrust into the mix, how can you slate CC for not having him on the bench when he had all the back four positions covered?

1 hour ago, Bouncing Owl said:

He's like Joao - he looks a top prospect but still raw.  VA is brilliant with the ball at his feet.  Extremely confident and his range of passing his superb.  I would like to think Loovens will mentor him in his defending and positional play.

I am with you. Also I can't understand some of our over critical  fans.

Has a lot of talent hopefully Loovens will help him.

Of course defenders make mistakes......if they didnt we would win every match

2 hours ago, Fibonacci91 said:

Guy is shocking...said it about Reach, said it about Jones, said it about Abdi...in about 4 weeks there will be threads on here slating Van Aken...I can almost guarantee e it. If by Jan Owlstalk hasnt turned on Van Aken I'll give a hundred pounds to charity. 

Obviously know f**k all then if you said it about Reach especially as you still seem to think you were right!!!!!

He’s got a lot to learn but he has talent. The coaching staff and other defenders should be giving him feedback on dealing with 1v1 situations and he should improve there. He seems to position himself a bit square on at the moment (and got turned inside out) and has dived in at times whereas good defenders will always try and guide the attacker outside/wide.

For all our calamitous defending against Utd, Lees showed exactly how it should be done against Clarke where he made him go wide then tackled him near the byline.

I can understand people wanting Loovens back in but will Van Aken learn on the bench or reserves?

Overall i think he's done pretty well tbh.

It's not easy settling in immediately when you change clubs..

It's harder when you change leagues as you have to adapt to a while new style and pace of play..

it's harder still when you've had 3 different fullbacks outside you and 2 different keepers in your 6 games..

and it's even harder still when you get thrown into two of the biggest games of the season (local derbies) right off the bat.

So all in all it's as difficult a situation as he could have had, so for him not to have been absolutely perfect is understandable. He's done alright tho, and it's not like Loovens doesn't make similar mistakes. van Aken will get better and better as he settles into the side, gets more used to the players around him and develops an understanding with them. He's made some good tackles and uses the ball well. Stick with him, i reckon.

He is a kid and the only mistake he's made is looking utter class in his first couple of outings leading to the usual Owlstalk over reaction , course he's going to make mistakes its just when your in the back line its magnified because it usually ends in a goal