Jordan Rhodes - The Stats

Guest Ash76

42 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Best check that mate... Off the top of my head (I'm out at the moment and definitely can't be bothered), about 75% of Rhodes' limited goals for Boro made the difference in the number of points they would have got

At a guess you're talking absolute rounduns, but I'll be more than happy to check this evening

Not saying his goals can't play a part, and for a while at Boro, they certainly did

In fact, if we use him in the way Boro used him when they went up, he can be of benefit to us More so, if he has learned the lessons from his time at Boro, and can now adapt to playing the lone striker role Happy days

50 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Rhodes has always been a prolific scorer of "consolation" goals, improving his own stats, without necessarily improving the fortunes of his team. It's a different ball game for him here, and it's about whether, and how quickly, he can adapt

Any stats to back that up - would be genuinely interested.

I've never had Rhodes down as a late goalscorer (scoring his goals late in the game) as that is what he'd need to do to be a "consolation" scorer.

Guest Ash76
1 hour ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

So in conclusion he has scored twice as many goals as Hooper in the last 4 years.

No in conclusion he needs many more chances to score than Hooper, therefore not as clinical 

Guest Ash76
1 hour ago, Tamworthowl said:

I find this comment interesting, and confusing.

It seems to suggest that it's easier to score for a team outside the top end of the championship. Surely the lower a team is in any given division the harder it is to score? A good player might well get a good run of games to help form/confidence, but with a lesser set of team mates around him, chances will be considerably fewer.

Irrespective of where Blackburn were in the league, they played the same teams that everyone else played. So, ignoring form/injuries etc of the opponents, Rhodes at Blackburn faced teams and defences no better, no worse, than any other forward in the league. 

The point I was making is there are other players capable of bagging at the clubs at the higher end. At Blackburn it was him and Gestede that got most of them.

Further, a team like Blackburn are more likely to play percentages. Lots of balls into the box and contest the 2nd balls. We've had more of a focus on ball retention 

Guest Ash76
46 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

A definition of "shots" would be good. Does Rhodes shoot on sight and Hooper only shoot when he sees an opening, for instance?

Only remember Rhodes having two, what I would call shots, for us in 4 months last season - vs Cardiff and Forestieri headed in the rebound and vs Leeds which from the spot saved by Green. Honestly struggling to remember any other genuine shots. All Rhodes' goals came with his head if I remember rightly?

PS, look how clinical Hooper was in 2014/15! Wow!!

Have a look on their site, one of the best around for stats. It pinpoints all the shots on a map and just for more info I didn't include blocked shots either 

24 minutes ago, Ash76 said:

No in conclusion he needs many more chances to score than Hooper, therefore not as clinical 

How do you get that from those stats?

Have you analysed the type of chance it was?

Are many of Rhodes' attempts when he just gets half a yard on a defender?

Are more of his attempts with his head?

Is chance conversion generally less with your head than your foot?

Does Rhodes take on more efforts than Hooper with his weaker foot?

unless you start digging into the stats more I don't understand how you can come up with any meaningful conclusion at all.

Your stats show that Hooper has less than a shot per match whilst Rhodes has over two.

Does he take on harder chances? Is his movement better? Has he played for better teams?

Edited by HirstWhoScoredIt

12 hours ago, gurujuan said:

If we did pair them together, which one plays in the hole, and which is the hold up player?

Not even a question is it? Hooper drops to link up, it's what he does, it's his position. When he does that we win 6 in 6. When he's not there we end up with FF up front and a gaping chasm between midfield and attack.

Guest Ash76
1 hour ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

How do you get that from those stats?

Have you analysed the type of chance it was?

Are many of Rhodes' attempts when he just gets half a yard on a defender?

Are more of his attempts with his head?

Is chance conversion generally less with your head than your foot?

Does Rhodes take on more efforts than Hooper with his weaker foot?

unless you start digging into the stats more I don't understand how you can come up with any meaningful conclusion at all.

But you tried to. You're welcome to analyse further if you wish. I did this with what was available  because I wasn't buying the argument that he's guaranteed to score 20+ with better service.

He has some qualities and flaws but for me he's not a guaranteed starter.

As I said I hope he proves me wrong but I don't see him replicating his goal scoring figures of Blackburn and Huddersfield. Unfortunately, you take his goals away and he's an average championship striker 

Edited by Ash76

4 minutes ago, DIPPS_S.W.F.C said:

Rhodes and Hooper

Boyd a FF on wings

Abdi in behind front 2....

But let them all have a run of games together..

Happy days ....IMO....

Sounds good, yes a settled side is what we need to get consistency, not all the chopping and changing which unsettles the players.

4 hours ago, Almat said:

So Rhodes only really scores consolation goals? Just when you think the internet can't surprise you anymore lol...

We obviously need a new column in the stats now. Or maybe another column describing the weather conditions at the time of the goal? Type of celebration? Muted because it was a consolation? 

It's generally accepted that perceived consolation goals, wind assisted goals and tap ins don't count. Penalties are only relevant if missed or are not taken.

2 hours ago, Ash76 said:

But you tried to. You're welcome to analyse further if you wish. I did this with what was available  because I wasn't buying the argument that he's guaranteed to score 20+ with better service.

He has some qualities and flaws but for me he's not a guaranteed starter.

As I said I hope he proves me wrong but I don't see him replicating his goal scoring figures of Blackburn and Huddersfield. Unfortunately, you take his goals away and he's an average championship striker 

Yes, I quoted the only definitive stat that you can draw some sort of conclusion from - the number of goals he has scored.

I don't understand how you can hold the view that at the age of 26 he is unlikely to be able to replicate the form that he had three years ago in a worse team than ours.

Especially, when we know that he is no one season wonder.

2 hours ago, Dagmeister said:

It's generally accepted that perceived consolation goals, wind assisted goals and tap ins don't count. Penalties are only relevant if missed or are not taken.

Not to mention Rick O'Sheas lol

Guest Ash76
2 hours ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

Yes, I quoted the only definitive stat that you can draw some sort of conclusion from - the number of goals he has scored.

I don't understand how you can hold the view that at the age of 26 he is unlikely to be able to replicate the form that he had three years ago in a worse team than ours.

Especially, when we know that he is no one season wonder.

I guess time will tell but easiest thing would be to blame the manager, style, team mates or supporters for any failings.

i want him to try and influence games and not amble around as he did much of last season

4 hours ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

We may have to meet in the middle, because many of us don't understand how people can hold the view that he's going to magically turn into a prolific scorer of goals with the form of his 23 year old self after not even wanting to bother to attempt a pen, and only netting 3 goals in his last 24.  (One in a 3-0 win over Birmingham, the other two when Norwich was punished 5-1.)