Owls fan trying to raise Money for a good cause

Thought I'd give this a bump, darklord is now 12 hours in to his 96 mile bike ride and could be going for several more hours.

He's only just over £200 away from his target, would be great if we get him there before he finishes.

Mods - Any chance we could pin for a few hours to help him out?

Hi all.  Sorry for lack of an update. 

I attempted the ride on Thursday but unfortunately I had to abandon it just 15 miles from the finish.  I had been riding for 16 1/2 hours at that point and done  81 miles. Pretty much most of the day was torrential rain and when I made the call to stop it was 10pm with another three hours to go and I was suffering from mild hypothermia.  My waterproof gloves were wringing wet after just  an hour! At least half the day had been carrying the bike and I had just gone up and down the devils staircase in the pitch black in driving rain trying to carry a bike over slippy 4ft rocks. 

Never quit a ride before and I am absolutely gutted to have done so  but I have it my all. I wasn't lucid and the consequences of a fall up there  in those conditions was to much of a risk. The whole route was a riverbed.

Still struggling to walk,  one leg scratched to death from a fall into brambles the other from pedal strikes when carrying.  Sore shoulder and cant move hands or toes much. I did give it my all honest.

Thanks so much for all the donations and support it means a lot. Sorry I couldn't quite finish

• Thanks 1

Guest Copthorneowl
2 minutes ago, darklord said:

Hi all.  Sorry for lack of an update. 

I attempted the ride on Thursday but unfortunately I had to abandon it just 15 miles from the finish.  I had been riding for 16 1/2 hours at that point and done  81 miles. Pretty much most of the day was torrential rain and when I made the call to stop it was 10pm with another three hours to go and I was suffering from mild hypothermia.  My waterproof gloves were wringing wet after just  an hour! At least half the day had been carrying the bike and I had just gone up and down the devils staircase in the pitch black in driving rain trying to carry a bike over slippy 4ft rocks. 

Never quit a ride before and I am absolutely gutted to have done so  but I have it my all. I wasn't lucid and the consequences of a fall up there  in those conditions was to much of a risk. The whole route was a riverbed.

Still struggling to walk,  one leg scratched to death from a fall into brambles the other from pedal strikes when carrying.  Sore shoulder and cant move hands or toes much. I did give it my all honest.

Thanks so much for all the donations and support it means a lot. Sorry I couldn't quite finish

Brilliant effort well done hope you get fully recovered asap you need a medal for what you achieved.

Well done mate. Fantastic effort.

These things are so dependent on the weather, basically you need a bit of luck and you didn't get it.

I have done several walking challenges in my younger days and the combination of torrential rain and darkness are more or less impossible on the moors for even walking, never mind trying to ride a bike.

Take pride in what you have done and get back healthy.

Guest Deleted member

I remember a whole day of riding in torrential rain when we did the Bluebell Wood ride with Hirsty. Completely soul destroying

Congratulations mate and well done on raising so much cash

Just wanted to update:

The total raised is £1,235.42

Much of that came from the generous support of you folks here on Owlstalk and surpasses the £1k target. 

Thankyou so much for all the support it means a lot.

While I came close I want to have another go at completing the challenge  so  I will be trying again next year but adding on another  70 miles the day after as well for an even bigger Challenge and hopefully raise even more.

Thanks 

Brett

4 minutes ago, darklord said:

Just wanted to update:

The total raised is £1,235.42

Much of that came from the generous support of you folks here on Owlstalk and surpasses the £1k target. 

Thankyou so much for all the support it means a lot.

While I came close I want to have another go at completing the challenge  so  I will be trying again next year but adding on another  70 miles the day after as well for an even bigger Challenge and hopefully raise even more.

Thanks 

Brett

Amazing Brett. Fantastic work raising the money for a good cause. I only wish I had the capacity to manage something like this but, for now will have to make do with supporting good people like yourself when they do.

If you do decide to organise another ride, I'll support the cause. 

Well done mate, great effort and a really nice video. I've only skimmed it obviously, but some of the views there are unreal despite the weather - thought coming over Conic Hill near the start must be a case of things peaking early, but it just got better! Mental how dark it was by the end.

Really chuffed the charity drive went so well, definitely deserved. On a side note, the kids seem like smashers an' all. Good lad!

ps, especially pleased I got to read the phrases 'bum butter' and 'sex whales' at various points. Extra marks for that. lol

Edited by Mr. Tom
  • Like 1

cheers. yeah Conic Hill was pretty cool. It was heavy rain before that and climbing up into the clouds. I was at the topwhen the cloud broke and the sun rose over the hill top revealing Loch Lomond. Its a pretty steep descent but was really rough from the rain so not as fast as I had hoped.

That dark bit was horrendous I had a bit of a breakdown up there. was basically a 1800ft climb up then what should have been a 5 mile fast descent was really slow and trecherous. Coudlnt see more than a few feet and the way was hard to see. At one point it split unbeknowns to me. luckily I chose the right way as the other was a path out into the middle of nowhere!!

• Like 1