Sheffield Wednesday team 'Gutless and Inept'

3 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

From lower league one to top 4 championship, 2 successive play offs and one final appearance, with a squad better and more expensive than anything since the mid 90s.

What's your beef?

Mines curtains.

3 hours ago, Blue and white said:

Jump forward to the 2016/17 play offs and nothing has changed.

What an absolute messed up post.

Obviously you never went to the games back then.

I am disappointed as anyone for how we blew a great chance away last season but coming out with garbage like that just makes you look like a mug.

3 hours ago, ramone said:

You really need to find a new hobby and save us all the effort of reading your negative and laborious posts... 

To be fair to the lad, it depends how you look at it. It's all about scale.

Back then we had a rubbish squad with little to nothing expected of them, backroom unrest, unable to compete with the richer clubs and we were on the decline. We almost expected relegation and avoiding that was the best we could hope for realistically. We didn't manage it.

Nowadays, we are on the up and the best we can realistically hope for is the pinnacle, getting promoted. The same as in 02/03 we didn't manage it.

Yes we are in a better position in the league but in terms of achieving our ultimate targets we are still falling short albeit in a different environment than back then. It's easier to swallow because we've experienced much worse times if you simply look at league tables..

It is why it would be foolish to say Carlos is the best Manager we've had in decades, he's the only manager who has ever managed us when we've been a wealthy club.

18 minutes ago, Madmax said:

come a long way since then. 6th & 4th in last two seasons & you call em guttless & inept: REALLY:

The wealth of the Club and our calibre of player we have has come a long way since then - we have different expectations.

The team would have come a long way if we had the same calibre of player as in 2002/03 and it was them that finished 6th & 4th in 2003/04 and 2004/05

1 hour ago, OutspokenTom said:

Back then we had a rubbish squad with little to nothing expected of them, backroom unrest, unable to compete with the richer clubs and we were on the decline. We almost expected relegation and avoiding that was the best we could hope for realistically. We didn't manage it.

Nowadays, we are on the up and the best we can realistically hope for is the pinnacle, getting promoted. The same as in 02/03 we didn't manage it.

Yes we are in a better position in the league but in terms of achieving our ultimate targets we are still falling short albeit in a different environment than back then. It's easier to swallow because we've experienced much worse times if you simply look at league tables..

It is why it would be foolish to say Carlos is the best Manager we've had in decades, he's the only manager who has ever managed us when we've been a wealthy club.

I love the fact people are actually using the team of that era to criticise the current manager/players lol

I for one use that era to be bloody grateful for where we are now heading. They were dark days where going to Hillsborough was a real chore not a chore because we don't play as pretty football as the needy fans want at this minute in time.

Some people on here could turn winning the lottery into a negative.

Guest samowl
5 hours ago, Blue and white said:

Funnily enough a lot of other fans seem to support my views, why do you think that is.

Cos. In summary. You're not far wrong. 

People haven't worked out that if you charge Premier league prices. Fans expectations go through the roof. 

for the modern generation, they were very dark days ... very dark .. most of the time you didn't know whether to laugh or cry .. it got that bad that there was no point crying and you just laughed at how abysmal we were yet many still turned up to watch that shower week in, week out ...

2 hours ago, Carl Shutt is God said:

I love the fact people are actually using the team of that era to criticise the current manager/players lol

I for one use that era to be bloody grateful for where we are now heading. They were dark days where going to Hillsborough was a real chore not a chore because we don't play as pretty football as the needy fans want at this minute in time.

And some people just don't get my point which is fine and I'm not being negative.

I'm trying to explain that we have different targets than we did back then, I don't dispute that it was woeful at the time.

Needy is an odd term, I'd like to think I'm more open minded unlike you sir it seems

It's all about perspective though.

Each year under Carlos and Gray, this league has got harder. It's become far more balanced in the middle to top 4, and there haven't been as many easy 6 pointers.

Not a chance I'll accept we were inept and gutless. Wrong tactics, sure, outplayed by udders, yeah at times. But just as capable of winning that, and beating reading.

The club's in the league have become wealthier. 5 years ago, a rich Arab or Russian buying a championship club would have been a guaranteed promotion and pick of the best players. Now, loads of teams have that.

A fair number of premiership teams have dropped down, and stayed down. Their parachute payments consistently dwarf anything a championship club can raise. And those parachute payments have been getting bigger.

Bigger clubs have dropped down, with bigger pulls, better facilities and generally better equipped to go up and stay up. Players being offered a contract at Wednesday, Fulham or leeds for example, may look at teams like Newcastle and Middlesbrough and decide they are more certain of promotion, and survival the following year. Same might not be said for teams like udders or hull.

Of the 24 teams in the league, only 2 can go up automatically. and only 6 can make the playoffs. Out of this year's league, 12 would expect to be in the top 6, and 4 will think they have an outside shot of it. That means at least 10 clubs will potentially see this season as a failure.

The wage bills are rising, far faster than TV money, and ffp is imposed to stop clubs trying to spend their way out. Those that did got a pathetic punishment, or none at all, whilst the rest either abided or were sanctioned.

And despite all this, we finished 13th, 6th then 4th. And we will be among the favourites for promotion.

Worth also adding that in 2014/15, when we finished 13th, Brighton finished 20th, 6 points off relegation. And they signed stockdale, kayal and Baldock,  in a squad that already had Calderón, teixeira, lualua, dunk, Bruno and mackail-smith.

TL;DR - it's a marathon not a sprint you f@nnie$

7 hours ago, OutspokenTom said:

At last someone gets it.

Just now, TomtheOwl95 said:

To compare any point of last season to 2002/03 is mental.

I wasn't comparing any part of 2002/2003, I saw the highlighted title inept and guttless and simply stated that it was relavent to our play off performance.

I have followed Wednesday for over 35yrs, of cause things are better now than they have been in a long while, however I will stand by my comment that the play off display was inept.

9 hours ago, Carl Shutt is God said:

I agree.

Under Turner it was the worst time ...he is no manager that's for sure, can always remember his quote in the star ...we can do a West Brom and Europe in five years lol

5 hours ago, Blue and white said:

What because I believe our performance against Huddersfield was pisspoor.

You singled out 2 games of 48 plus cup, the last 2 games at that and on that basis labelled it as gutless and inept as probably our worst season in the last 30 years?

Jog on mate, you are embarrassing yourself with your flouncing, overexaggerated complaint. 

Also doing a massive disservice to those players that actually stepped up and performed, like Westwood, Lees, bannan, Lee, fletcher and loovens. 

1 minute ago, Hawkeye said:

You singled out 2 games of 48 plus cup, the last 2 games at that and on that basis labelled it as gutless and inept as probably our worst season in the last 30 years?

Jog on mate, you are embarrassing yourself with your flouncing, overexaggerated complaint. 

Also doing a massive disservice to those players that actually stepped up and performed, like Westwood, Lees, bannan, Lee, fletcher and loovens. 

When you learn to read then we will talk further pal.

6 hours ago, Blue and white said:

I wasn't comparing any part of 2002/2003, I saw the highlighted title inept and guttless and simply stated that it was relavent to our play off performance.

I have followed Wednesday for over 35yrs, of cause things are better now than they have been in a long while, however I will stand by my comment that the play off display was inept.

FAO Hawkeye. Hope this helps