The strange argument for f.ookin' the Prem off

Just now, flo said:

If we go up we will just keep expecting more and more. hopefully we can fight to achieve that. If we stand still it will be a bit meh 

Good point mate...Might be an age thing...sometimes standing still seems a decent option as you get older lol..

See..I look on Sheffield Wednesday as maybe something different than some others on here....not saying I'm right...or someone else is wrong..its simply the way I look at it...

Me lip has wobbled just cos they trot out in the stripes, firsat game of the season...dunno why..its f.ookin' ridiculous...doesn't have to be against Man utd..could be Crewe...

I hate grounds where the turnstile doesn't have to be pushed, ..It should f.ookin' creak and click ..or its not a proper turnstile....(It also should be blue)

The ground should be built out of red brick mainly...It should also be a sorta genteel shabby looking ground...where you sniff the bricks and it takes you back to the 1920's...Hillsborough is all of that....Obviously you actually enter the ground and it all turns to sh.eeite most times....but you are THERE!

Narrowly missing out last season had the strange effect – noticeable on here, in particular – of making it seem like this year was some sort of 'last chance', when clearly that's not necessarily the case. I imagine it's because after so long languishing in mediocrity we couldn't quite believe we were (are!) up there in contention, and we still instinctively think it's going to be taken away from us at any moment. Like we're boozed up and dancing about with a traffic cone on our head in the middle of the road, and any day now some Fun Police are gonna turn up, chuck us in the van and drive us to sit on the lower-mid-table naughty step again.

There are lots of reasons why a return to the Prem would be absolutely glorious for us, but yes, the novelty would doubtless wear off after a few seasons to some extent. Unless we could start mounting an annual challenge for the top four within a decade (or, alternatively, unless we found ourselves constantly scrapping for end-of-season Prem survival), there's every reason to predict that we *could* gradually find ourselves starved of real excitement in terms of league positions year-on-year. It's arguable that being where we are now is much more exciting in its own way.

However, three things that make it a no-brainer for me:

Firstly (and mainly), the huge funding boost would run very deep at this incredibly storied and historical but somewhat tarnished old club – it could really start to put some of the old sparkle back in around the place. As a Wednesdayite who started going to games in the early '80s, for me that would be massively exciting to watch, even if we were largely stuck in the lower-middle of the top tier while it did.

Secondly, the Leicester thing. Because sod it, why not?

Thirdly, playing in the Premier League is the highest you can fly in terms of English football. So simply being up as high as you can go, making it into the mix at the highest level you can manage as a club, is something all teams absolutely have to aim for, all the time. Otherwise, what's the point of any of it, in a sense? Sure, it's also about fun and family and brotherhood and all that stuff – but that's for us, the fans. The team exists as a competitive sporting entity in and of itself, too. It needs a long-term aim, a carrot at the end of the stick, beyond just giving us somewhere to go and enjoy ourselves on a Saturday afternoon. If it didn't, it might just as well be a weekly coach trip or cinema club or whatever that we all went on together instead.

Wednesday getting up to the Prem would mean Wednesday win, in a sense. It would mean the team of '16-17 made it, they achieved something huge, they go down in SWFC history etc. In the most immediate sense, it wouldn't even really matter if we bobbed around mid-table for a few years when we got there...that's a concern for future years. Just getting there would be about a moment in time that we were all around to witness, a payoff for all these years of unwavering support through thick and thin, a coming together of everything we've scrapped for and dreamed of.

It would, ultimately, just be a thing we could all say we lived to see.

So yeah, I think they should keep on having a go for it, meself. :manager:

Edited by Mr. Tom

I've said this a few times (I'm 24 by the way). Of course I was gutted when we lost at Wembley but, looking at Hull struggling now, would I want that to be us or do I prefer to still be in the championship, excited for games knowing we still have something to aim for? 

It's a tough one but ultimately it would be great to see us in the premier league as I don't have much memory of that. 

Just now, Chardron said:

I've said this a few times (I'm 24 by the way). Of course I was gutted when we lost at Wembley but, looking at Hull struggling now, would I want that to be us or do I prefer to still be in the championship, excited for games knowing we still have something to aim for? 

It's a tough one but ultimately it would be great to see us in the premier league as I don't have much memory of that. 

mate...it was f.ookin' awful in the last twitchin' stages lol

Listen..and pardon me for stating the blindingly obvious....I told me lad this when he was 10....

Its going to be crap for the most part, the odd shaft of sunlight that pierces the clouds that lower over Hillsborough will be fitful, fleeting and once in a blue and white moon.... f.ookin' brilliant...

Thats what football should be...You don't just trot down to Hillsborough and look for the team news on yer Iphone..Look at the bricks!!!...Look at The South....look at the North.,..

Its like visiting a f.ookin' football museum...Drive yer car up to the top of jawbone hill..and look at it!...lying in the valley...

Think how many hopes and dreams have lived and died in that one f.ookin'  little square of Sheffield....Its more than getting to the Premiership in the next 10 seconds...Its cloth caps tobacco an' f.ookin' Tidman...

Its Colin West hitting a penalty against the 5 arches...Its Waddle turning Burrows legs to spaghetti...Its the good the bad and the whole history of the club...

Its sad ..its funny..and its fleetingly been brilliant...Its not kneejerk immediate...you have to live it..not f.ookin' buy it

Edited by asteener1867

Guest BULGARIA

good post.

I would guess that the younger fans who have not seen the owls in the prem cant wait to get there... for me and my friends who have experienced the prem... well we are a all bit "whatever" to be honest.  All this chat of we get 100 million if we get there... well aint gonna benefit me is it? None of it will be coming into my back pocket. I totally get the fact we would see better players, i cant argue with that, but i personally love the championship.

We have to get up fairly quickly to my mind as I think the championship will soon end up with a 'mini' league at the top consisting of clubs  who have had the luxury of massive parachute payments from the Premiership thus giving them a major advantage in the FFP calculations, other clubs (including us) will find it increasingly difficult financially to compete against these. How many seasons will Mr Chansiri be prepared to throw millions at us if we don't achieve promotion in the next couple of years? It is no surprise that we continually see relegated Clubs being promoted at the first attempt. My money is on Newcastle  & Villa (via the play offs) along with Brighton. The way Brighton shrugged us off at Hillsborough this season shows we have a long way to go and yet any strengthing required will be severely restricted by the FFP calculations.

Let me ask question.

How much did it hurt losing in the playoff final.

Because that is what it feels like not being in the premier league.

And that feeling will be exactly the same if we were relegated from it.

Come on.

Premier league everytime.

Guest Copthorneowl

Unfortunately Asteener the outcome you're  not sure about ain't really avoidable if you think it through logically. We've all either been brought up as owls and passed that on or perhaps in some peoples case just ended up an owl through some other route.

What we all have in common is we go to matches hoping we play well but really above all else we want to win. The more we win the more we want to carry on winning and then we end up near the top of the table in play offs and auto positions. We then went to carry on winning in the big league the same as.

The only way to avoid the Prem is to lose games which nobody wants to........ In the end we've no control over it. It's only possible to think like you might do from a distance simple question do you want us to lose the next four or five games.. Think I know the answer if we did you'd be using your famous industrial language on an industrial scale. Let's stay winning mate and get amongst em.

1 minute ago, Copthorneowl said:

Unfortunately Asteener the outcome you're  not sure about ain't really avoidable if you think it through logically. We've all either been brought up as owls and passed that on or perhaps in some peoples case just ended up an owl through some other route.

What we all have in common is we go to matches hoping we play well but really above all else we want to win. The more we win the more we want to carry on winning and then we end up near the top of the table in play offs and auto positions. We then went to carry on winning in the big league the same as.

The only way to avoid the Prem is to lose games which nobody wants to........ In the end we've no control over it. It's only possible to think like you might do from a distance simple question do you want us to lose the next four or five games.. Think I know the answer if we did you'd be using your famous industrial language on an industrial scale. Let's stay winning mate and get amongst em.

Who f.ookin' asked you to put yer two f.ookin' pennorth in lol

I agree the shine of the premier league will wear thin fairly quickly, especially if we're in a relegation battle.

But as far as pricing goes I'm already in the position where I can't afford to see the games but if we get to the Premier League we'll be forced by league rules to charge away supporters no more than £30. How do you think it would look if Chansiri charged his loyal home supporters more than the away fans?

Promotion Looks like the only hope of being able to afford a ticket again.

It's Premier League for me!

Edited by killamarshtrekowl

1 hour ago, TAOWL267 said:

Milans successor.

Once Chansiri gets his money back and a nice bit of profit he'll be off like a shot.

I think the opposite would happen. I think TUF will come on board big time. The prem is the global platform they want to advertise thier brand. 

The problem is that everybody is enjoying us compete at the top of the division because of the dream of going up.

If you knew we were never going up, what would be the point?

If you get into the PL, you get better players and you still have the dream of winning a cup or getting into Europe.

Even if you get relegated you get a better chance of enjoying watch your team get promoted again due to the Parachute payments.