One concern about moving to a new ground...

3 hours ago, LSOwls said:

Good post

Wonder how much the land below would cost for parking/ fan parks etc..

(I know Jenx have extended and built on some since I drew this but you get the idea!)

.Parking.PNG

Aye, I see your vision.

Mine has always been something similar to this;

s6.png

Stadium to be rebuilt and slightly changed in rotation, as the land is right next door / on-site in part already and with some ingenuity, vision by local Council (I know that is probably never going to happen) and great land and stadium engineers and architects.

Only one major reconfiguration of the current road network and the rest is self explanatory

Of course, this would still mean some compulsory purchases, not dissimilar to Liverpool / Tottenham's but for what it could yield in the end in so many ways, not as much disruption as you would think.

However, I still think that even to undertake any form of redevelopment on the whole, to satisfy DC's ambition, vision he will no doubt already have for when the time is right, it just will not be feasible to do so in the current location... I could be wrong of course but maybe we will know within the next couple of years, come what may.

Opens the floor for the ridicule :D

I also think that what some fans fail to realise though, is that whilst ever there are residential housing and a mix of commercial around the current stadium, the cost alone from getting any major redevelopment through planning (I don't just mean a redevelopment of the current stadium to WC plans for e.g.) and to agreement, could prove to be massive.

Ultimately it's the surroundings, expanding them to have more multi use, modernise and not just within the stadium surely?

I'm a firm believer that the car parking is absolute dire and not fit for purpose, certainly nowhere near the right amount of numbers... how can this be resolved other than some form of Multi Storey (Again planning, as it would break the rooflines of surrounding buildings, other than the current stadium itself?

As much as I'd love to see something similar or within reason of the above location(s) and additional use, I just cannot see it overall, when all is said and done, as feasible for DC to choose to keep us at Hillsborough.

Guest Deleted member

Loads of room for a big stadium on land near Meadowhall. 2 motorway junctions less than half a mile away, loads of tram stops, 2 main roads into Sheffield, roads to Rotherham, and the Parkway, link to the former airport, hotels nearby, LOADS of parking, all of the Arena infrastructure and parking too, great bus links.

Still in Sheffield and bang in the middle of the steel making area.

It doesnt have to be a 'soulless bowl'. In fact - the remit for any architect ought to be to avoid that.

14424101_10154579357167140_802343372_o.jpg

Hillsborough is completely landlocked with ghouses on one side and a river on the other, with Penistone Rd on the other side too

Anybody that thinks we will buy all the houses on Vere Rd, and get the council to divert Penistone Rd (when theyve just spent millions 'upgrading it' for the Sainsburys is in cloud cuckoo land

stadium.jpg

Edited by Deleted member

Guest Deleted member

^^ And thats the old hillsborough before redevelopment

Last time I checked there were about 74 houses on Vere Rd - all worth around £120k each. Theres no way a Compulsory Purchase Order would be granted - so you'd imagine the club would have to bid up to 20% over market value to encourage owners to sell.

Thats £10.6m just for a bit of extra land to demolish.

Remember that the industrial land opposite went for £2m.

Edited by Deleted member

Guest Grez Bez
8 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Loads of room for a big stadium on land near Meadowhall. 2 motorway junctions less than half a mile away, loads of tram stops, 2 main roads into Sheffield, roads to Rotherham, and the Parkway, link to the former airport, hotels nearby, LOADS of parking, all of the Arena infrastructure and parking too, great bus links.

Still in Sheffield and bang in the middle of the steel making area.

It doesnt have to be a 'soulless bowl'. In fact - the remit for any architect ought to be to avoid that.

14424101_10154579357167140_802343372_o.jpg

Hillsborough is completely landlocked with ghouses on one side and a river on the other, with Penistone Rd on the other side too

Anybody that thinks we will buy all the houses on Vere Rd, and get the council to divert Penistone Rd (when theyve just spent millions 'upgrading it' for the Sainsburys is in cloud cuckoo land

stadium.jpg

Not a bad site but I think modern stadiums are moving away from out of town sites.

If we were to move it has to be in the City Centre for me. Not only for SWFC but also for the sake of Sheffield (which is dying (separate thread)). You then make the stadium a destination. Fill it with bars/ restaurants so it can be used on a daily basis and SWFC get the £ in rents...

Trying to find an image but can't find anything so imagine something like the below at the foot of the stadium:

7f0d58d182b8c7544a9a28a4d984752888d69312

Guest Deleted member

Sadly Sheffield isn't a destination any more, while Meadowhall really is.

Any city centre development combining retail and dining could quite easily be a massive white elephant

I agree with you on meadowhall area excellent transport links plenty of space for a fan zone properly stocked mega store etc. Straight off the M1 drop off the Mrs to do a bit of retail therapy at meadowhall then go to the match jobs a good un.

It would be interesting to see how the opinions differ between Sheffield based owls and the out Sheffield owls?

I think a lot of opinions are based on where people reside.

Hillsborough or if a move is as desperately needed as some would have us believe then it's got to be city centre.

Meadowhall is not a option.

4 hours ago, Grandad said:

^^ And thats the old hillsborough before redevelopment

Last time I checked there were about 74 houses on Vere Rd - all worth around £120k each. Theres no way a Compulsory Purchase Order would be granted - so you'd imagine the club would have to bid up to 20% over market value to encourage owners to sell.

Thats £10.6m just for a bit of extra land to demolish.

Remember that the industrial land opposite went for £2m.

are those terraced houses really around the 120k mark ......

Out of Interest where in the city centre would you build it?  Only ask as I was last there about 10 years ago and can't think of anywhere you could build a football stadium with all the requisite parking etc.

The only real options are to the east of the centre, which actually doesn't feel connected to the centre. Areas can change though, look at Norwich City, once a residential area near the old riverside wharfs, then an industrial estate. Now it's been reinvented as an entertainment area with many bars, restaurants and a multiscreen cinema. Easy to access from the rail station, mean that everything a football fan needs, is virtually on site. A bonus is, on a Saturday night, it keeps all the riff raff out of the city centre. Not sure that the Hillsborough area could ever be like that, but maybe the east end could be developed in such a way.

Guest Grez Bez
9 hours ago, Grandad said:

Sadly Sheffield isn't a destination any more, while Meadowhall really is.

Any city centre development combining retail and dining could quite easily be a massive white elephant

I do agree it isn't but it need development

This could do the job

It's chicken and egg, a shop needs footfall but footfall is created by shops (and restaurants etc). A stadium guarantees HUGE footfall so it could boost Sheffield ten fold... Sheffield & Meadowhall can co-exist, they just need different offerings......

Lots of people conveniently 'forget' where the geography of our fan base is. It is far from being concentrated in 'Sheffield' or its centre.There are many fans, myself for one, who have never lived in Sheffield, yet still travel to the present location.Our nearest Motorway is NOT the M1, which doesn't even serve the centre of Sheffield, except by another road link.While still living close to the M1, I noticed the deterioration of the centre of Sheffield which was brought about by Meadowhell, which has taken a number of years and great cost to alter. I now live on the West side of Sheffield, and while Hillsborough in its present spot is still just about 'get atable', a move to the other side of Sheffield, nearer the M1, would make it almost inaccessible.

One point that needs to be made. How big a stadium do we need? The current stadium, were it all to be refurbished, would still approach the 45,000 capacity of most Premiership stadiums, and what is our 'regular maximum attraction' factor ?

Do these  factors point for a need to move? I still consider the sight of a 3/4 full Wembley at the playoff, and how often do we attract that sort of crowd?