One concern about moving to a new ground...

the ideas of a new ground are i am sure being discussed within the boardroom 

But we can't fill the ground we have consistently 

What can we do with the ground we have to make it a mega stadium 

The problem is the west end of the ground to start with just about finished as a fit for purpose stand but at the moment 

the average away attendance in this part of the ground i am only guessing but will average out at about 1500 by the end of the season

IF we get promoted needs ripping down and replacing with something that has seating for at least 10,000 as its now holding 7000 - 8,000 

The North , well they have a possible fix here by ripping out everything under that stand and moving the gym up to the training ground 

they can do a new ticket office etc if they can clear the houses at the back of the stand as i think they own most of them , then they can extend the walkways box them in a little and have a lot more space for people to be and can add a lot more outlets for mainly half time 

The south stand i think they could extend this a lot more under it, and same again the stand is fine just under the stands need making a lot lot wider and more outlets 

being added , they can even have small kiosks selling stuff they have in the megastore or being able to place an order to collect after the match or delivered 

The kop 

This is really a stand that many a football club would love to have ! they need to fill in the sides extend it under even over the top of the road i am sure it would make a massive difference to the match day experience 

you could not build a new ground that would match our ground at the moment for atmosphere and sense of history , its not just the ground its the place the ground is with our big park next door for party in the park and other club activities 

all the pubs around in every direction and places to eat 

one of the other factors is this , the lane is sat on prime land its value would match a big chunk of the cost to relocate to a new ground i am sure many companies would have a bidding war to buy it 

but you demolish our ground what is the chances it has any real value ? look at the land behind the kop and how many years it has been empty before only now they are doing something with it , look down clay wheels lane same again loads of derelict buildings going bellow market value 

i am not sure moving is a good idea but if they can build a 60,000 seater stadium with all that we have now ,with how technology is going i am sure it could be something worth thinking about but i feel it won't feel like being part of the community as our home is now , maybe enough room at Owlerton ? 

But we as supporters are just no's in the commercially corrupt world of football , the fact will be at the meetings on a monday morning before they even discuss the game 

How much did we make are we making more or less or the same , how to make more and then how much more if we moved homes? would we be able to make more and how many years would they have to be involved with the club to make a profit on the investment 

Then knowing all of this how much would a chairman invest in a move?

The only club i think that have moved and made a success of it with the infrastructure and training camp etc is Man City nice to look at ground fantastic pre match entertainment , but the ground feels to have no feeling no atmosphere if that club loses a good investor in the future and the crowds drop or they drop they are really in trouble !!  not far behind  is Arsenal but look at how much there old grounds brought them back in and how much the new grounds cost ! the teams are worth 500 million pounds or more 

Guest Grez Bez
8 hours ago, robster_owl said:

Certainly not this previous thread on the subject, that's for sure lol.

I have to say, a poster mentioned maybe it's because our public liability insurance premiums maybe a decent wedge, I never really gave this a second thought until reading it in that thread. When you think we had the floods which meant a claim and we can never forget the cost which must've been levied against the club's insurance in various ways due to the Hillsborough disaster, surely we didn't not need to make a claim post disaster did we?

Insurance maybe but how bigger cost is it? Surely it will be insignificant compared to most.

I feel someone once said it was more expensive and veveyrone has run with it regardless of facts. Still yet to see something solid on that.

Loads of room around Hillsborough, if you can't see it you lack real vision!

Hillsborough.png

Edited by Grez Bez

4 hours ago, LSOwls said:

Insurance maybe but how bigger cost is it? Surely it will be insignificant compared to most.

I feel someone once said it was more expensive and veveyrone has run with it regardless of facts. Still yet to see something solid on that.

I think you're probably correct that someone once said it and everyone ran with it, but that's because it's probably true. Inefficient buildings are one of the reasons that schools and hospitals all over the country move from old to new (the other being that the old buildings aren't suitable for intended use any more, which sounds familiar). In general, new stuff performs better and is cheaper to maintain. I don't think that's a particularly contentious point.

Guest Deleted member

Anybody who went to the Etihad a couple of times in the last few years will know just how many years Hillsborough has fallen behind whats required at top half Premier level.

Its sad, really sad, I love Hillsborough. I'm the kind of person who would sit in the ground to watch the grass grow.

But in the last 20 years, and not least because of the Hillsborough Disaster, the stadium has been allowed to deteriorate.

Its time to let it Rust In Peace

1 minute ago, Grandad said:

Anybody who went to the Etihad a couple of times in the last few years will know just how many years Hillsborough has fallen behind whats required at top half Premier level.

Its sad, really sad, I love Hillsborough. I'm the kind of person who would sit in the ground to watch the grass grow.

But in the last 20 years, and not least because of the Hillsborough Disaster, the stadium has been allowed to deteriorate.

Its time to let it Rust In Peace

But I would rather be Sheffield Wednesday than Manchester City, regardless of their success/glory (we'd have all switched sides if that was why we followed Wednesday.

I'd rather have Hillsborough than the ethiad or whatever its called these days 

I'm not that bothered about the premier league and if we do get their, I 'd want it to be in Hillsborough 

Maybe we would move grounds and maybe i'd go and change my mind, doubt it though, I think the day I saw the wrecking ball near that beloved ground a part of my interest/love would die, and then go past a year or so later and see a giant Aldi/housing estate another big chunk would go I suspect 

Guest Deleted member
29 minutes ago, Greeny79 said:

But I would rather be Sheffield Wednesday than Manchester City, regardless of their success/glory (we'd have all switched sides if that was why we followed Wednesday.

I'd rather have Hillsborough than the ethiad or whatever its called these days 

I'm not that bothered about the premier league and if we do get their, I 'd want it to be in Hillsborough 

Maybe we would move grounds and maybe i'd go and change my mind, doubt it though, I think the day I saw the wrecking ball near that beloved ground a part of my interest/love would die, and then go past a year or so later and see a giant Aldi/housing estate another big chunk would go I suspect 

All of thats admirable, but it doesnt matter what you, me or anybody else wants.

Only the Chairman, and you can bet he wants the Premier league, and to make as much money as possible

Guest The Clapper

The quicker we accept that Hillsborough is a tarnished, dilapidated old white elephant built on a flood plain/ancient river bed, the better.  The atmosphere is crap 95% of the time and there are 15,000 empty seats most of the time.

Stop living in the past, not that it was any good.

Edited by The Clapper

10 hours ago, LSOwls said:

Hillsborough.png

Hey, I can see your point totally don't get me wrong and I've previously mentioned in an old thread somewhere about the stadium, that I'm sure we could make the Kop in to something where it can be extended out and essentially where Penistone Road goes underneath it. I'm sure but for the life of me, my memory fails me as to which UK stadium you drive under a part of one of the stands. I always used to think it was Villa's but looking at images, it doesn't seem so... bugging the hell out of me.

Anyway, not dissimilar to some of the Tesco stores, that are built on stilts... of course it would have to be engineered to hold say 10k people, that goes without saying but the idea is there. Even diverting Penistone up the small section of Herries Rd South, then left on to Herries Road to the junction for Halifax Rd.

Sentiment aside of which rarely gets in the way of 'Business' or the people who have control of one; it all comes down to coinage and that has been alluded to above and always will be, as ultimately it's the biggest factor in any business football or not. It's often the reason old hospitals and schools end up moving to more modern purpose built and fit for purpose buildings, as they simply have so many benefits over staying put in places that are becoming dilapidated.

I'm not ignorant to the fact that we British on the whole are often averse to change and especially change that one may perceive has eradicated a historic or poignant memory and past, whether a singular event or 100's / 1000's.

However, let's take the parking situation for e.g. it certainly isn't getting better and is unlikely to - DC may see this as an inhibiting factor alone to the gate numbers, there truly are so many variables in play with Hillsborough and will continue to do so, until we either redevelop or move.

11 minutes ago, robster_owl said:

'm sure but for the life of me, my memory fails me as to which UK stadium you drive under a part of one of the stands. I always used to think it was Villa's but looking at images, it doesn't seem so... bugging the hell out of me.

No idea about grounds in the UK but a dual carriageway runs under Atletico's stadium...

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Vicente+Calderón+Stadium/@40.4006711,-3.7205796,3a,75y,321.8h,100.13t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sPfxe_t9AuqIravWpa_N1ZQ!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo1.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DPfxe_t9AuqIravWpa_N1ZQ%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D337.1051%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0xd4227c329c41757:0x25b4cf6085a7157e!8m2!3d40.4017243!4d-3.7206352

Guest Grez Bez
1 hour ago, robster_owl said:

Hey, I can see your point totally don't get me wrong and I've previously mentioned in an old thread somewhere about the stadium, that I'm sure we could make the Kop in to something where it can be extended out and essentially where Penistone Road goes underneath it. I'm sure but for the life of me, my memory fails me as to which UK stadium you drive under a part of one of the stands. I always used to think it was Villa's but looking at images, it doesn't seem so... bugging the hell out of me.

Anyway, not dissimilar to some of the Tesco stores, that are built on stilts... of course it would have to be engineered to hold say 10k people, that goes without saying but the idea is there. Even diverting Penistone up the small section of Herries Rd South, then left on to Herries Road to the junction for Halifax Rd.

Sentiment aside of which rarely gets in the way of 'Business' or the people who have control of one; it all comes down to coinage and that has been alluded to above and always will be, as ultimately it's the biggest factor in any business football or not. It's often the reason old hospitals and schools end up moving to more modern purpose built and fit for purpose buildings, as they simply have so many benefits over staying put in places that are becoming dilapidated.

I'm not ignorant to the fact that we British on the whole are often averse to change and especially change that one may perceive has eradicated a historic or poignant memory and past, whether a singular event or 100's / 1000's.

However, let's take the parking situation for e.g. it certainly isn't getting better and is unlikely to - DC may see this as an inhibiting factor alone to the gate numbers, there truly are so many variables in play with Hillsborough and will continue to do so, until we either redevelop or move.

Good post

Wonder how much the land below would cost for parking/ fan parks etc..

(I know Jenx have extended and built on some since I drew this but you get the idea!)

.Parking.PNG