Abdi

Jowl

1 minute ago, oldishowl said:

Man behind the strikers!! We only had one while Abdi was on the pitch.

Who could he pass it to?

We had 5 players more or less in central midfield and Fletcher up front on his own.

Bannan could attempt the type of pass he did because he was sitting deeper and had loads of time on the ball.

FF and Walace were in advance of him on many of the first hours highlights I've just watched, none of which were Abdi threading it through mind. 

I don't want to come across as overly critical but if you're playing number 10 role you need to play game splitting passes and he definitely has that in his locker. Finishing with 41:41 passes completed makes me wonder how ambitious his passing is.

I imagine in games we are winning or when the team / he is playing with more confidence we will see a better side of him to go with the neat and tidy performance of yesterday (based solely on others feedback and highlights as I am based in SA). 

Looking forward to to seeing him take more risks, splitting more defenses and firing in a screamer or two! 

40 minutes ago, BC1867 said:

41 passes from abdi. 41 hit their target

Not a single one led to a shot for a teammate, though. Wallace and Bannan provided four shooting opportunities apiece, Lee and Buckley laid on two each, and Pudil, Forestieri and Hooper each teed up a shot as well.

Surely Abdi is capable of affecting the game a bit more than he did yesterday?

3 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Not a single one led to a shot for a teammate, though. Wallace and Bannan provided four shooting opportunities apiece, Lee and Buckley laid on two each, and Pudil, Forestieri and Hooper each teed up a shot as well.

More than capable! Just posted in another thread he'll have many better games than yesterday. His job isn't just to keep things ticking over. 

33 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

He is being played out of position. Sinple as.

4 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Where would you play him? 

CAM behind two strikers at the top of a diamond midfield. We knew that was his position. If we didnt want or need him, why waste 4 mil on him. We could have improved full back or got a better centre back in for the money. Now that we have him, we could at least utilise him in his best position. 

2 minutes ago, BC1867 said:

CAM behind two strikers at the top of a diamond midfield. We knew that was his position. If we didnt want or need him, why waste 4 mil on him. We could have improved full back or got a better centre back in for the money. Now that we have him, we could at least utilise him in his best position. 

Where did he play yesterday? Wasn't it CAM? I only saw highlights but from commentary and feedback that's where I thought he was. His chosen position and not his greatest game from a creative perspective. 

7 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Where did he play yesterday? Wasn't it CAM? I only saw highlights but from commentary and feedback that's where I thought he was. His chosen position and not his greatest game from a creative perspective.

Agree. First time I've seen him play this season but was disappointed to be honest. Not that he did anything wrong but expected him to be far more potent with his passing. Most of the time seemed to pass sideways or backwards. Kept game ticking over and tried to create space but that's it. To properly fit into Wednesday's system I think he needs to show more energy. A lot of the time yesterday he just seemed to be jogging around the pitch and putting his hands on his head when we didn't score. I really hope he finds his feet soon as I was really looking forward to seeing him this season, particularly after the Port Vale friendly where he looked awesome.

1 minute ago, Owl 44 said:

Agree. First time I've seen him play this season but was disappointed to be honest. Not that he did anything wrong but expected him to be far more potent with his passing. Most of the time seemed to pass sideways or backwards. Kept game ticking over and tried to create space but that's it. To properly fit into Wednesday's system I think he needs to show more energy. A lot of the time yesterday he just seemed to be jogging around the pitch and putting his hands on his head when we didn't score. I really hope he finds his feet soon as I was really looking forward to seeing him this season, particularly after the Port Vale friendly where he looked awesome.

I think he'll get better and better as he and rest of team build confidence. Hope so anyhow :) 

15 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Left wing then subbed

Really comfortable that we'll see great things from Abdi this season. I'm comfortable about everything to be honest. Just relax and see how it pans out. We've got a strong team and squad. Teamwise, the start of the season often bears little resemblance to the end. People settle in, find their feet, the starting line up settles and starts to pick itself. All good.

9 minutes ago, BC1867 said:

Left wing then subbed

He wasn't on the left wing at all! He was playing in the middle of a three behind Fletcher, with Forestieri on the left and Wallace on the right. Granted, they all tend to drift around and create space for each other, but he was playing as a number 10, which is his favoured position.

Here's Abdi's heat map for the game...

Screen Shot 2016-09-11 at 15.27.28.png

Here's Forestieri's, who was mostly playing on the left...

Screen Shot 2016-09-11 at 15.33.20.png

7 minutes ago, BC1867 said:

lol

Heat map shows he didnt play central at all

He was far more central than Forestieri and Wallace, who were our wider midfielders yesterday. The vast majority of his touches were within the width of the 18 yard box, which is pretty central.

He certainly wasn't being played on the left wing as you claimed.

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

He was far more central than Forestieri and Wallace, who were our wider midfielders yesterday. The vast majority of his touches were within the width of the 18 yard box, which is pretty central.

He certainly wasn't being played on the left wing as you claimed.

Pudil was exposed on the left. He had no one in front of him. This is because CC is playing central players out there out of position. Abdi started to the left of bannan and lee. I would call that left mid. He was certainly not played behind the centre forwards, as you claim. Not even your own evidence supports him playing there. 

3 minutes ago, BC1867 said:

Pudil was exposed on the left. He had no one in front of him. This is because CC is playing central players out there out of position. Abdi started to the left of bannan and lee. I would call that left mid. He was certainly not played behind the centre forwards, as you claim. Not even your own evidence supports him playing there. 

I suppose it's a matter of interpretation, but it certainly looked like we started with a 4-2-3-1 yesterday, although Abdi kept dropping deep to get on the ball, which nullified his attacking threat somewhat. The average positions of the players suggests Abdi played pretty centrally for the most part, too (He's number 7). He certainly wasn't on the left wing:

Screen Shot 2016-09-11 at 16.07.09.png