Abdi

Jowl

14 hours ago, oldishowl said:

The problem is that last years players were not good enough to get us promoted and not good enough to beat a top 6 side in the league

We need to improve last years team by giving the new players a chance to  see if they can improve us

It's possible the same players can improve us. It's not always necessarily the case that playing the same players means you stay at the same standard. Players can and do improve the longer they play together. 

I'm obviously not saying we shouldn't play any of the new players, I think Abdi looks a class player, very clever and technically excellent but I just don't think he fits in with the system at the moment, seems a bit wasted. It's up to Carlos to decide what his best team and formation is which Im sure he will in the coming weeks.

I think he's been tickling along without pulling up any trees. Not really seen much amazing from him, but sometimes players who can keep the ball in a possession system can be worth their weight without standing out too much. Maybe he isn't the explosive playing some would expect from his price tag. 

Yesterday we did seem to play really well when hooper came on. He was much more direct with the ball and I thought him and fletch linked up really well. If that partnership is given time to develop we could have a real partnership up top. Just not sure if cc is willing to play ff out wide. 

For me if abdi is the man, bannan has to be the player to make way. 

It annoys me that cc seems to be accommodating his best players but playing them out of position. Like he might play bannan out wide, or has been playing abdi out there. bannan isn't a winger, and now we have 4 capable wingers for both sides, ff and reach on the left, and Buckley and Wallace for the right. 

13 hours ago, Lee A said:

Formation was utterly wrong today

Abdi gets the ball, what's he going to do with it? All 5 of our midfielders were occupying 15 yards of space in the middle, said it too many times now but got to get some width and wingers who want to run in behind, especially at home 

Not sure about utterly wrong considering we controlled 90% of the game and would have won by a bigger margin if we were more clinical. 

There were some frustrating periods in the game though where our midfielders were stepping on each other's toes against a very compact side. It was crying out for some width. Even just switching the ball from side to side quicker to open up some spaces.

Seems to be how CC likes to play it though. A slower tempo and a compact set up first half, then change things to suit the later stages when the game inevitably opens up.

1 hour ago, vontemp said:

Hope I'm wrong but can see him proving to be a bit of a flop.

Bit lightweight and don't see how he fits into the system we play. 

That's why our system needs tweaking. Jones and abdi have both played at a higher level for better teams. BB and Lee havent. So I stand my decision that tgere droppable. 

1 hour ago, ViolaOwls said:

That's why our system needs tweaking. Jones and abdi have both played at a higher level for better teams. BB and Lee havent. So I stand my decision that tgere droppable. 

I agree but I don't think Carlos sees it that way - Bannan and Lee seem to be first pairings.  No one should be undroppable.

Its a slight concern as Abdi and Jones could end up being wasted here...we need these guys playing well as it was clear we weren't ultimately strong enough to get up last season with Lee and Bannan in midfield.

Tricky one for CC but he has to get it right and be bold when required....another manager would likely have a different view on this considering how both Abdi and Jones have performed elsewhere.

Be interesting to see how it pans out, especially with Jones back in contention for Tuesday - a tough assignment if last season's game is anything to go by. 

I know the comments on here aren't necessarily slagging him off but f me give him some time. He's not the sort of player to catch the eye by taking people on and scoring a hattrick of volleys but he is a very very good passer of the ball and his vision is what kept our possession and tempo up. He didn't give the ball away with a single pass and that is vital in games, way more than some would think. 

It's clear he can do better but calling him disappointing, not seeing what he does and saying he'll be a flop is daft. Great player and will have a big part to play this season. 

Just re-watched the match through the extended highlights and Abdi kept things ticking over well, he's not going to beat 2-3 players and smash it in the top corner so don't get your hopes up. people will probably judge him in the price tag and compare him to FF but that's due to the inflated market and we royally had watfords pants down with the FF fee. 

13 hours ago, Holmowl said:

I see the comparison with Lopez.

But IMO he doesn't do much wrong, but he doesn't do much. Like Lopez.

By contrast, Lee and Bannan do make the odd stray pass, but it's because they are trying to prise open a defence with a key pass.

Agree with this, you shouldn't finish a game with 100% pass rate in my opinion. If you don't make any mistakes it means you are not taking enough risks, as the creator and man behind the strikers you've got to play more ambitious passes. 

12 hours ago, David1867 said:

For what it's worth I thought abdi played well today, he didn't give the ball away and always kept it moving, he played a couple of balls through their defence for pudil to put crosses in. 

A very tidy  performance in my opinion. 

41 passes from abdi. 41 hit their target

33 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Agree with this, you shouldn't finish a game with 100% pass rate in my opinion. If you don't make any mistakes it means you are not taking enough risks, as the creator and man behind the strikers you've got to play more ambitious passes. 

Man behind the strikers!! We only had one while Abdi was on the pitch.

Who could he pass it to?

We had 5 players more or less in central midfield and Fletcher up front on his own.

Bannan could attempt the type of pass he did because he was sitting deeper and had loads of time on the ball.