OFFICIAL 2016/17 BBC Radio Sheffield Football Heaven SWFC Thread

Guest BRADFIELDOWLS

Often agree with excellent Mick the Owls but last night his logic was illogical.

His theme was Carlos should stay (agreed) but then went on to unwittingly make case for his sacking.

First, on Abdi, that this player is not right for the team. Well Carlos bought him at £3 million, plus £25,000 per week wages (for 4 years).

Surely , this would have been better spent on a nutter in midfield or top level centre half - see below.

Then , that we had done a good job in not buying stopper Grant when he went from Blackburn to Newcastle's bench.

But that was only cos we got outbid and Carlos spent most of Summer chasing him, as Giddings confirmed.

This then raises the question if Carlos knew needed a commanding stopper for first 11 , why didn't he get a proper one?

The alternative is he's not really running the recruitment show so we now need insiders to be brave.

By the way Mick, at £48 a pop it's fair enough if fans have a different view  to you, or me.

Relax.

3 hours ago, BRADFIELDOWLS said:

Often agree with excellent Mick the Owls but last night his logic was illogical.

His theme was Carlos should stay (agreed) but then went on to unwittingly make case for his sacking.

First, on Abdi, that this player is not right for the team. Well Carlos bought him at £3 million, plus £25,000 per week wages (for 4 years).

Surely , this would have been better spent on a nutter in midfield or top level centre half - see below.

Then , that we had done a good job in not buying stopper Grant when he went from Blackburn to Newcastle's bench.

But that was only cos we got outbid and Carlos spent most of Summer chasing him, as Giddings confirmed.

This then raises the question if Carlos knew needed a commanding stopper for first 11 , why didn't he get a proper one?

The alternative is he's not really running the recruitment show so we now need insiders to be brave.

By the way Mick, at £48 a pop it's fair enough if fans have a different view  to you, or me.

Relax.

You misunderstood fundamentally what i said 

Hanley was late on in the window we were outbid and in the event as cover brought Sasso back 

Abdi isn't yet a failure unless he and CC have fallen out, i never said he wasn't right for the team just that when he has chances he has to make it difficult for him to be replaced in the team, in my view he has made it all to easy to drop him because his performances have been indifferent at the very best 

I have never, not once, despite being regularly accused of it said or implied that my opinion is anymore valid than anyone elses but the call and text i highlighted were made by people who, like me, hadn't seen the game but somehow they had gleaned a poor performance from the same commentary i'd heard despite the fact that both commentators had said the contrary. The caller stated that we had been rubbish all season and i'll argue against that opinion all day because its total nonsense.

The price of tickets is an irrelevance in forming my opinion and i don't see why the cost of attending is used as it often is regarding performance

Say the performance isn't worth the money by all means but to imply the cost of attending somehow entitles us as fans to a level of performance because of it is again imo errant nonsense

Recruitment is now the stick with which to beat CC ( or whoever ) yet whenever anyone says it was poor they never state who they would have bought with the same money, nor do they ever take into account the players we tried for and failed to get nor the time frame we lost out on said targets.

It was generally accepted that we needed a LB + cover, cover at CB and a Striker as a minimum

We signed Pudil noone complained about his signing at the time, we had, it seemed, Joe Bennett until at the death Villa pulled it and IMO panic signed Urby

We were in for Hanley imo to replace Loovens as a starter as he'd already said Hutch would be playing CB, at the death we missed out on him and signed Sasso as cover

We signed Reach again imo to replace Wallace as a wideman starter but with the bonus that he played a lot at LB while out on loan not many complained about the signing just the price.

Abdi for me was signed to replace Lee as a starter but Lee has done just what Abdi hasn't and stepped up making it difficult for CC to drop him

We signed Fletch again noone complained 

I saw umpteen posts like we should sign Dunk, McCormack, Rhodes et al but instead of the £10-£13m we have spent we would have had to be up in the region of £30-£40m to sign the entirety of the alternatives that are regularly suggested on here.

Guest BRADFIELDOWLS

Ahh, thanks very much for clarifying some of this.

My general point on prices is just that anyone paying this amount, including many  new season ticket holders after DC virtually promised promotion (which I accept we may get if some serious dosh is spent next month), is gonna want their views aired.

Plus they are paying towards Carlos'  £15 ,000 a week salary, which he earns to perform and take stick. 

It maybe not what you say, just the very audible frustration in the way you say it. 

More important matters, while I really rate Carlos as a coach, we differ on recruitment which , to me , has been poor but this may be down to Doyen, DC etc , we just don't know.

On realistic names - and I agree those you list are just wet dreams - what about Brighton's excellent new centre half from Brighton (£2.5 million)?

Or Bridcutt at Leeds (£2 million), who bossed us at Hillsborough, or Fofana for £3 million (a whole thread I started on that one).  

Or Ben Marshall for , say , £3 million (in Blackburn's fire sale). Or Tammy for free. I could go on ...

And before you say it, we pay Carlos, Doyen et al massive amounts of wedge for foresight, not hindsight.

Anyway, keep up the good work as one of the few voices of sanity on the airways (what happened to Owl David I think his name was , also very good ?). 

Guest Deleted member
On 22/11/2016 at 13:40, Lawrie Madden said:

You misunderstood fundamentally what i said 

Are you the Mick the Owl who I rang up and disagreed with about us getting a slating for ticket prices on Friday?

4 minutes ago, PeakOwl said:

Would love to hear the meltdown at S2, if we went and signed Ebanks-Landell in January...

Thought he was only with them to regain fitness and the loan ends in January.

18 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Are you the Mick the Owl who I rang up and disagreed with about us getting a slating for ticket prices on Friday?

Possibly but as i agree with almost everything you have written on here regarding the ticketing fiasco at S6 i think we agree on much more than we disagree about on that issue plus i didn't phrase my point very well when i mentioned the £49 headline ticket 

1 minute ago, Lawrie Madden said:

Lets be right their 3 best players aren't good enough at Championship Level 

Sharpe has been a flop at the level the last couple of trys 

Fleck nuff said 

Ebanks Landell bounced out of Wolves and looked really ordinary for them imo

we found out the gap between their league and ours is considerable