UNLUCKY STRIPES ?

20 minutes ago, zzmdu said:

I wonder if Chansiri has tried to change the striped Thailand flag. 

My guess he accepts & respects it.,  as part of their history. 

Shame,  he hasn't respected ours. 

Think this would go down well in Thailand?

thailand.jpg

56 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Check your facts. We got got to a cup final right at the start but after that it was a story of steady decline. It was a happy day when the stripes returned. 

Do you mean when we returned to stripes and declined to our longest spell in the 3rd division with some of our smallest crowds? Happy days indeed!

6 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

The decline continued until Big Jack. Then the stripes rose triumphant. Imagine iconic pix of Andy Mac, TC, Banno, Zico, Pearson holding the League Cup aloft - in this abortion of a kit. Nowhere near as good. 

But it would have been if they'd worn that kit 

Just now, rickygoo said:

Never. Pictures of Mobley, Megson et al in the 60s kit just look wrong.  

Can't really judge on that. I wasn't around then so they're just pictures of days gone by. I agree in what you're saying. But my point is the kits they're wearing at the time is still iconic of that era 

3 minutes ago, Blueblood said:

But it would have been if they'd worn that kit 

The stripes are iconic - our tradition. The new kit is a halfway house for a bloke who wants us to play in the Chelsea kit because he doesn't like stripes. But each to their own. 

Guest Wonder Spaniel

Lucky or unlucky, and without sounding to over melodramatic, I do wish that we had our proper stripes back. It just seems crazy that we have thrown one of the most recognisable things about our club, away. I wasn't initially pleased when the badge was changed, however, I consoled myself that with the fact that our owner (who I am thankful for in many ways) hadn't done a Vincent Tan and messed with the kit. And yes, I know that it is only a shirt and yes, it is still blue, but it's just not Wednesday! 

Ask any football fan what a Sheffield Derby match looks like and they will tell you it's blue and white stripes  against red and white  stripes (bloody away kits before anyone says it!), just like a Manchester Derby is Blue v Red and the same with Liverpool etc. 

15 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

The stripes are iconic - our tradition. The new kit is a halfway house for a bloke who wants us to play in the Chelsea kit because he doesn't like stripes. But each to their own. 

As I have previously said, I would also have much preferred a thicker striped shirt with a blue stripe down the middle. I am not a fan of the new one and was disappointed to find that I was in the vast minority in this respect at the steering meeting.

I don't think it is the big deal that some are making out given that we have had a few kits in our history that have featured stripes.

I was more disappointed with the way the club have priced kits and was surprised to find that first-day sales were record breaking.

Of course it's more than a revenue matter for us supporters and to be fair to Chansiri it was evident at the meeting that he and his family are emotionally involved as well now but for him when the bottom line means more of a chance of promotion and staving off any FFP issues, he would regard record sales as justification.

9 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

As I have previously said, I would also have much preferred a thicker striped shirt with a blue stripe down the middle. I am not a fan of the new one and was disappointed to find that I was in the vast minority in this respect at the steering meeting.

I don't think it is the big deal that some are making out given that we have had a few kits in our history that have featured stripes.

I was more disappointed with the way the club have priced kits and was surprised to find that first-day sales were record breaking.

Of course it's more than a revenue matter for us supporters and to be fair to Chansiri it was evident at the meeting that he and his family are emotionally involved as well now but for him when the bottom line means more of a chance of promotion and staving off any FFP issues, he would regard record sales as justification.

And justification to ditch the stripes altogether?