UNLUCKY STRIPES ?

10 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

And justification to ditch the stripes altogether? 

Not for me no but for a fair proportion of our fan base, time may tell. If we are successful in terms of the Chansiri goal of reaching the Premier League thae I think a fair few would be happy with blue for a few seasons if that was a trade off.

If we are unsuccessful then ultimately Chansiri will go eventually and the new incumbent will probably bring back stripes as his first move to enhance popularity.

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Not for me no but for a fair proportion of our fan base, time may tell.

I meant will DC use it as justification?  If so every supporter buying the new shirt is contributing to scrapping our traditional stripes. 

You make your own luck. Some things almost seem destined or not to be. Luck does exist in sport but it doesn't just boil down to pure luck or what you wear. But to say stripes are unlucky is complete rubbish. Especially when some of Europe's most successful teams play in stripes.

A kit or a teams colours don't make a team successful. It's a mixture of things on and off the pitch that feel right at the time and it's more important who is actually in the kit rather than the kit itself.

I like our new home shirt as a one off but I far more prefer our more iconic and familiar thicker blue and white stripes. I hope it doesn't become a re-current theme or something permanent but that said at least we're still blue and white. Over the years we've had numerous changes to the home kit, rightly or wrongly, some have looked good and some have looked not right or ugly but we've always stayed blue and white, and we're still blue and white.

14 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

I meant will DC use it as justification?  If so every supporter buying the new shirt is contributing to scrapping our traditional stripes. 

Bang on. The more folk buy it as a one off, DC will see it as being right to ditch the stripes. They won't be around for some time I fear.

I don't like it at all and will not be buying it

Edited by Paolo Di Catio

Guest ForzaOwls

Sunderland won FA Cup in 1973

Newcastle 1951 and 52 and 55

WBA 1954

Owls league cup 91

WBA league cup 1966

If we have to ditch the stripes, I really wish we'd gone back to the blue Arsenal kit. It's distinctive and no one could argue we've not had it before. If we'd done that I would have probably bought one and I haven't bought a shirt in about 23 years

Edited by CrosbyKitchens

1 minute ago, CrosbyKitchens said:

If we have to ditch the stripes, I really wish we'd gone back to the blue Arsenal kit. It's distinctive and no one could argue we've not had it before. If we'd done that I would have probably bought one and I haven't bought a shirt in about 23 years

That but updated with the pinstripes would've looked 10x better

20 hours ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

Sunderland last team to win English top flight division playing in proper stripes and that was the 1935/36 season. 

It's certainly a curious statistic. Prior to that season, striped teams used to win the league fairly regularly.