CC has made his recommendations

I agree with Devonshire. I'd be pretty happy as long as we get Pudil in before the start of the season. 

With Hutch alongside Lees at the back and with Fletcher up front, not to mention a fully fit Matias and Melo back in contention we are at least as strong if not stronger than last season's team and this time we don't have to bed in 15 new players and a new coach. 

6 hours ago, bigash_swfc said:

Imagine if we signed Adlene Guedioura and Nabil Bentaleb.

Both Algerian, very athletic, strong

Would be like how man city play Fernando and Fernandinho in front of their back four.

For a moment I also thought it could be Bentaleb but then I realised he's way too good and would cost someone about £10m 

1 hour ago, devonshire_owl said:

Not worried at all at this point in time. I'm quite pleased that we aren't buying for buying's sake. As DC said, we're looking to buy players who will improve us, not players that are a similar standard to what we already have.

We all know that DC likes a good deal so he isn't going to just splash the cash. Because of this, most of our business will be completed at the end of the transfer window. It worked well last year with Bannan joining on a free, Wallace on a free, and FF and hooper only £3mil a piece. 

Fletcher is an excellent signing for this division, and is an upgrade on our other big strikers. I expect to see similar types of signings in our other areas of need, which CC and DC will have identified. 

I'd rather wait a while to sign players that will improve rather than rushing and bringing players in who are at the same level with already got.

If we can get Pudil in before Villa game I would be happy that we have a strong enough team to get us challenging from the start, with improvements to follow that will push us towards automatic promotion. 

Great post.

We had one glaring weakness last season, which was the quality or inconsistency of our two big strikers. So much so that Carlos ended up picking neither. We have resolved that with an acquisition of class.

It does appear that DC only buys at the right price. If that means you get the likes of Hooper, Forestieri, Bannan and Fletcher then what an approach!

28 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Great post.

We had one glaring weakness last season, which was the quality or inconsistency of our two big strikers. So much so that Carlos ended up picking neither. We have resolved that with an acquisition of class.

It does appear that DC only buys at the right price. If that means you get the likes of Hooper, Forestieri, Bannan and Fletcher then what an approach!

I'm happy to go along with that, as long as everybody reins in their expectations, including DC himself. What is the right price? For you, it's the price you're willing to pay, for the seller, it's the price someone out there is willing to pay

9 hours ago, pickledegghiderman said:

Yep. Think a few on here might be suprised just how effective fletcher will be in this division. Done well at most clubs he's been at but seemed to lose his way a little at sunderland. Seems like the sunderland fans got on his back a bit when things werent going there way. Sometimes a player needs a change of scenery to reallign his motivation. Look at tom lees, made a scapegoat at leeds and never seemed to recover. Confidence seems to go a long way in how some players perform and fletcher seems like the right type that in good surroundings and with support from the manager and fans could go on to be a legend at the club

I agree. Fletcher has played 153 PL games for relegation fodder. He has had to play against some of the best defenders in the world, whilst being fed by the weakest team-mates in the division.

We worry when we come up against the likes of Dunk or Flint. They are nowhere near the level of international defender that Fletcher has had to contend with week in week out.

Here, he will be fed and partnered by some of the best players in the division. He has joined a team full of great spirit, and will be supported and popular among great fans. I am massively optimistic for him and for the team.

29 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

I agree. Fletcher has played 153 PL games for relegation fodder. He has had to play against some of the best defenders in the world, whilst being fed by the weakest team-mates in the division.

We worry when we come up against the likes of Dunk or Flint. They are nowhere near the level of international defender that Fletcher has had to contend with week in week out.

Here, he will be fed and partnered by some of the best players in the division. He has joined a team full of great spirit, and will be supported and popular among great fans. I am massively optimistic for him and for the team.

He should thrive at this level, which without being unkind, always was his level. He'll thrive on the service he gets as well, and the fact that defenders will have more than just him to worry about. We can score goals from all areas

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

He should thrive at this level, which without being unkind, always was his level. He'll thrive on the service he gets as well, and the fact that defenders will have more than just him to worry about. We can score goals from all areas

Yep at Marsaille new Chelsea striker Batshuayi said he loved playing alongside Fletcher because he occupied defenders which created space for him to exploit.

good luck to championship defenders marking Fletcher, Hooper and Forestieiri 

and then Lee comes running through unmarked 

Edited by Southie_Owl

9 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I think the "defenders will have more than just him to worry about" will be the difference this season. The Hooper Fletcher partnership will be a powerful and prolific down the middle, but defences will then have to stop Wallace Hunt down one flank and Fernando running at them from the left. Hopefully aided by Pudil.

Less important but nonetheless a bonus, is that Fletcher is effectively replacing a small player for defending set pieces. I would imagine we will leave FF or FF and Hooper up for corners, which could see us turn defence into dangerous attack in seconds.

I think the difference that Fletcher will make to our overall set up will be enormous.

28 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

I think the "defenders will have more than just him to worry about" will be the difference this season. The Hooper Fletcher partnership will be a powerful and prolific down the middle, but defences will then have to stop Wallace Hunt down one flank and Fernando running at them from the left. Hopefully aided by Pudil.

Less important but nonetheless a bonus, is that Fletcher is effectively replacing a small player for defending set pieces. I would imagine we will leave FF or FF and Hooper up for corners, which could see us turn defence into dangerous attack in seconds.

I think the difference that Fletcher will make to our overall set up will be enormous.

Yep, and I hope that is what they indeed do, regarding the corners Don't be surprised though, if they continue to bring everyone back

14 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Yep at Marsaille new Chelsea striker Batshuayi said he loved playing alongside Fletcher because he occupied defenders which created space for him to exploit.

Goose pimples!

This is exactly how I see it working.

(We had a girl at school called Tracey Pimples. She used to hate that expression.)

47 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Nice