Fans on Lower Lep

Wasn't the north stand built when God was a lad, surely if it was a safety risk they would have realised sooner then 6 months ago. Sounds like someone trying to justify their job.

I was thinking the same thing! The north stand has been virtually the same for 50 years. Hosted World Cup games, European championship matches, cup semi finals and finals.... Yet all of a sudden there's fire escape issues?

Guest Deleted member

A new rule, found out from the Steering Group Meeting, is that we're now not allowed to sell the full North Stand due to ''fire exit safety''. A risk that was seemingly discovered vs Arsenal, the concourses aren't spacious enough or something for a full North Stand and people can't leave quickly enough.

Opening half of the final block was a compromise sending SYP right to the edge of what they'd let us have. We dictated that we wanted the lower half rather than the upper half of the block.

Isn't the idea of the Steering Group representatives that you guys feed back to the rest of us? Given the recent interest in our capacity, did it not occur to anybody to feed this back?

It's the first I've heard of it

What an absolutely crazy situation. As I understand it, we actually lowered the capacity of the North when we switched from wooden to plastic seats too. To allow for fatter fans, and wider gangways?

There were plenty of empty seats in W1 block on the Kop yesterday

Wasn't the north stand built when God was a lad, surely if it was a safety risk they would have realised sooner then 6 months ago. Sounds like someone trying to justify their job.

When God was a lad? Steady on son. Some of us were going before it was built.

The paranoia surrounding Hillsborough is a total shambles.

What happened to those Liverpool fans was a horrendous tragedy but we now have a safety/SYP policy of being so risk averse that it defies any logic or common sense. Its the reaction of organisations running scared of any more adverse publicity - and with SYP facing years of further publicity for all the wrong reasons, the situation is not going to improve any time soon.

Can you imagine if we get promoted? They will be having kittens.

The only way forward is to develop Leppings Lane end into a modern, flexible area that can safely accommodate home and away fans without paranoia ruling the decision making process and policy.

Isn't the idea of the Steering Group representatives that you guys feed back to the rest of us? Given the recent interest in our capacity, did it not occur to anybody to feed this back?

What an absolutely crazy situation. As I understand it, we actually lowered the capacity of the North when we switched from wooden to plastic seats too. To allow for fatter fans, and wider gangways?

I've 100% mentioned this before since the last meeting, on here.

Impossible for me to make sure that everyone is up to date.

I've 100% mentioned this before since the last meeting, on here.

Impossible for me to make sure that everyone is up to date.

Maybe admin should pin a feedback post from you for a week or so after. That might help.

Steering group stuff should be put in the programme to be fair to FO...

Was watching Sunday supplement this morning and they were saying they were amazed that whole stand hadn't been knocked down and rebuilt. Tbh they gave the west stand a bit of a bashing saying that it was always dangerous and that the actual 1989 incident was the end of a long line of near misses in previous years. I think DC should seriously give it some thought to knocking it down regardless of premier league status, just purely to get the negativity of the whole thing away from the club. With the judgement this week, it's likely they'll be a least a few more years were the disaster is hanging over SWFC head due to the fallout and SYP et all are only going to get more risk adverse.

Yes. Or a pinned thread with a summary of the latest steering group meeting could help everyone on here keep up to date. Or maybe a steering group facebook page or something?

Did think it was a little ironic that a sky sports programme was saying we should knock it down, when the reason we haven't invested in hillsborough in the last 16 years is due to falling out and subsequently trying to get back the sky financed premier league.

Guest Deleted member

It should be on here ideally, given that FO was chosen to represent Owlstalk

She's not the only Owlstalk representative though is she? I'd have thought any mention would be in the regular threads. I'm sorry if I've missed it previously although I do try to read the informative threads

Tk be fair the guy who writes up the meeting on Owlsonline does a very good job and I don't think I've seen him mention it either