Steering Group - just back

It wasn't deemed a disaster, it just wasn't as high as they thought it would be. They didn't say they weren't impressed and wouldn't be doing it again.

They're only allowed to do a certain amount of discounted games per season (as you know), due to league regulations, as well as being able to keep season tickets the best priced method of watching Wednesday.

ST sales have exceeded last years sales already, which is the main point I would focus on as it shows that fans are coming back but maybe a bit slower than we all thought.

It wasn't a discounted game, it was simply using the lowest price category.

League regulations limits the number of games which can deviate from the categories announced before the season starts.

The point about keeping ST's the best value remains, and maybe shows they've learnt from the phase 3 prices last year?

I think people are getting hung up on the number of people actually in the ground - and losing focus on the fact that we SOLD 85% of our available seats. Isn't that one hell of a result?

Spot on

And with the increased season ticket sales and the potential play offs I think we can all agree its a good time to be an owl

Yes - but did anybody ask why it mattered that season ticket holders didn't show?

And just what were they expecting? Taking away the handful of Charlton fans they sold 85% of all available seats for the fixture? I'd say thats a result all round - not a reason to bemoan the attendance?

Exactly:

They are comparing

Charlton game announced attendance - ST's who didn't show

to

Every other game announced attendance including ST's who didn't show

To try to make a valid point?

What absolute nonsense.

Just do Apples to Apples.

Announced attendance v announced attendance.

Clearly shows it made a massive difference!

Personally I think that's an anomaly as it was a one-off low category game on a Saturday, and if it was repeated wouldn't be as successful.

But the explanation from the club seems to be complete nonsense.

He said it wasn't as high as everyone (Steering group included) expected, not that it didn't bring in more fans. Stated that the actual attendance was 25,000 due to 4K ST holders not turning up.

Thanks, makes much more sense now! The fact is, there was still an increase of 8,000 ticket sales for the Charlton game - surely, that isn't something to ignore?

So did no one call the club out on his interesting manipulation of statistics?

Because as someone reading this thread that seems to be exactly what has taken place.

It still makes no sense, 8k additional tickets were sold even if this "missing 4k ST holders" is true, which I seriously doubt. lol Edited by ohgoditsjames

Guest Deleted member

He said it wasn't as high as everyone (Steering group included) expected, not that it didn't bring in more fans. Stated that the actual attendance was 25,000 due to 4K ST holders not turning up.

No, the actual attendance was 29468 - given thats how many seats were sold and that we can't sell those seats again.

Can I ask what expectations were? And what the steering group had suggested might be achieved? And what the steering group expected?

For the crowd vs Charlton to be 25,000 - there needed to be 14,000 empty seats.

- Charlton brought 610, meaning there were 3,861 empty seats in the West Stand upper.

- There were 1,337 empty seats on the NWC

- There was a very maximum of 1,000 empty seats on the North Stand next to the NWC (very generous)

- There was a very maximum of 500 empty seats on the South Stand

- There was a very maximum of 2,000 empty seats on the Kop, behind the pillars (very generous)

Which all means, for there to have been a crowd of 25,000, that there were 5,302 empty seats on the West Stand Lower - which has a capacity of 2,294. And was half full of Wednesday fans...

Guest Deleted member

Can we give the club the benefit of doubt here? They have absolutely no reason to lie about how many went through the gate at all. 

Can we give the club the benefit of doubt here? They have absolutely no reason to lie about how many went through the gate at all.

I don't understand how 8k additional tickets being sold is not enough to consider cheaper prices, fiddling the attendance by saying "4k SEASON TICKET HOLDERS" were supposedly missing is highly irrelevant lol Edited by ohgoditsjames

But why are they comparing the number that went through the gate, to how many were sold at other games?

Is it to hide the fact that cheaper tickets resulted in a massive increase in match day tickets sold?

I would also be interested to know the answer to your earlier questions.

Can I ask what expectations were? And what the steering group had suggested might be achieved? And what the steering group expected?

Guest Deleted member

I don't understand how 8k additional tickets being sold is not enough to consider cheaper prices, fiddling the attendance by saying "4k SEASON TICKET HOLDERS" were supposedly missing is highly irrelevant lol

Exactly

Screen Shot 2016-04-19 at 12.03.35.png

This is one block in the north.

If you were looking at it had an average of one empty seat in each town on there, you wouldn't necessarily be able to notice it much, and that would be around 50 people missing. For one block.

Extrapolate that (average of one missing person per row) across the whole ground and you'd have nearly 1500 empty seats.

This isn't counting whole rows that are blocked off, whole blocks that are taped off and not used, restricted seats and more.

I would argue that an average of two, three or four per row wouldn't necessarily be too perceptible to an observer too, depending on how it is spread out. And you have absolutely NO idea of what the stand you sit in looks like either.

I do when I watch the telly on Sat evening.