Contact made with FA

Guest wilyfox

How can they ensure that Wily? other than actually dealing with the appalling standard of refereeing, of which this is just the latest fiasco!

That is the best way forward. Professional refereeing of a higher standard. Retrospective action would be better than nothing, but for the referee to even make that decision in the first place when so clearly wrong just proves the standard isn't high enough. Officials won't call everything right, but they have to get major decisions right when an incident is seen - which he clearly witnessed by making an instant call.

Well found. Good investigation but

1. The ref changed his mind. No appeal. I can only assume this plank has not changed his mind or has been asked by the FA to view it again

2. That was 16 years ago. Have the rules changed since then? I'm asking not telling

That is the best way forward. Professional refereeing of a higher standard. Retrospective action would be better than nothing, but for the referee to even make that decision in the first place when so clearly wrong just proves the standard isn't high enough. Officials won't call everything right, but they have to get major decisions right when an incident is seen - which he clearly witnessed by making an instant call.

It's not his decision to book him that bothers me, albeit he was unbelievably wrong. If he thought he dived fair enough.

What bothers me is the fact that he has firstly totally disregarded the hand gesture of Dawson and secondly never went to speak to Dawson

Guest wilyfox

It's not his decision to book him that bothers me, albeit he was unbelievably wrong. If he thought he dived fair enough.

What bothers me is the fact that he has firstly totally disregarded the hand gesture of Dawson and secondly never went to speak to Dawson

Well that's all part of the decision-making process. He ignored the aftermath unfolding infront of him and went straight for the kill. He didn't take the time to compose himself and assess what was going on around him.

1. The ref changed his mind. No appeal. I can only assume this plank has not changed his mind or has been asked by the FA to view it again

2. That was 16 years ago. Have the rules changed since then? I'm asking not telling

1) Kind-of linked with what I was saying earlier in that I suspect the ref has to be involved with the FA's review procedure (if they do agree to a review, of course). Without hearing anything further from either the FA or the club as yet, we'll just have to wait and see. I've also been clear throughout regarding the process of the appeal though - if I've got it right, the FA can overturn something even when there isn't an appeal by the club (as appears to be the case with this Hamann incident - because the club doesn't have the facility to appeal).

2) I honestly don't know. The way it's written suggests that even back then it was an unusual situation, so I assume the rules were the same as they are now.

To be honest, I suspect that could be the reason the ref appears to be have been demoted for next weekend. Making a mistake is one thing, but ignoring of Dawson's reaction suggests his personality has come into play and clouded his judgement. For whatever reason, he was making damn sure that he sent Forestieri off, at any cost.

True but surely this should give precedence to get it overturned?

Another point I don't understand. If he does actually view TV footage before sending his report in and in his report he hasn't put in there he has made a complete wee wee tail up, how can the FA ever employ him again

Maybe he has who knows

He hasn't been demoted. He has reffed 8 Lg 2 games already this season

All this didn't talk to Dawson , didn't see Dawson acknowledge the foul is because he didn't even try to judge the incident on the evidence . He based it only on FF's reputation and acted too hastily.

This is what should worry his bosses. If that is how he makes his decisions he is not a fit referee.

All this didn't talk to Dawson , didn't see Dawson acknowledge the foul is because he didn't even try to judge the incident on the evidence . He based it only on FF's reputation and acted too hastily.

This is what should worry his bosses. If that is how he makes his decisions he is not a fit referee.

Spot on totally agree.

Guest wilyfox

He based it only on FF's reputation

We don't know that, but it certainly didn't take into account what was going on around him at the scene.

Just playing devil's advocate here, but couldn't he have have been in line to ref a Championship game instead, and now he's been put onto a League Two game? That would be considered a demotion, wouldn't it?

Just playing devil's advocate here, but couldn't he have have been in line to ref a Championship game instead, and now he's been put onto a League Two game? That would be considered a demotion, wouldn't it?

A man who has reffed only Championship, League One and League Two games will be taking charge of a League Two game at the weekend. That is not a demotion, that is a continuation of his job. 

A demotion would have been him being put as a linesman for a Conference South game, as he should have been.

A man who has reffed only Championship, League One and League Two games will be taking charge of a League Two game at the weekend. That is not a demotion, that is a continuation of his job. 

A demotion would have been him being put as a linesman for a Conference South game, as he should have been.

Fair point. It would be interesting to see trends in match allocation though, to see if a ref who was doing particularly well on a regular basis started to be allocated more Championship matches and fewer League Two matches, or whether it's shared more or less equally. If that were the case, if you started to get more League Two matches than previously it would certainly feel like a demotion (and it would look like one to the outside world).

We don't know that, but it certainly didn't take into account what was going on around him at the scene.

Of course it is only my opinion but the evidence to everybody else said that it was a foul except for the ref.

Do you honestly think in the split second he took to pull out the card he considered the evidence and came to a different conclusion or do you

think he didn't even considered it and simply thought " this is Forestieri he must have dived"

Well if he was and the FA have demoted him then that shows they think he was wrong and should then overturn the ban .... but I aint holding my breath