Favoured Formation

May change though when we get Melo and Matias fit

Melo is out for the season isn't he?

As for Matias he'll have to fight his way back in. Apart from the goal at Leeds he's done nothing to impress so far.

Edited by Babushka1867

We've played 4-4-2 in the league for the last month barring the boro game.

Why people think we've played anything different is beyond me

And what have the results been in the last month, barring the Boro game?

We have cracked it.

And what have the results been in the last month, barring the Boro game?

We have cracked it.

Exactly - it works and it suits the players we have. We started the season with 4-3-3/4-2-3-1/4-5-1 and it didnt really suit us. Since signing FF we've pretty much been 4-4-2 and we've been great on the whole.

Dont fix what aint broken

I still think Matias has bags of potential and CC will want to find a way to get him in the team (especially after how much we paid for him).

Lee Bannan

Wallace Fessi Matias

Joao/Hooper

Lovely little skilful dinky front 6 that.

Man Utd had Yorke/Cole/Sheringham/Ole but they didn't play 4 strikers

Having a good squad means good players miss out... 

Dont change the way you play accommodate players.

I still think Matias has bags of potential and CC will want to find a way to get him in the team (especially after how much we paid for him).

Lee Bannan

Wallace Fessi Matias

Joao/Hooper

Lovely little skilful dinky front 6 that.

I would imagine that would be the case yes, so a switch to 4-3-3, or some derivative of it, maybe on the cards, once we get all the players in place. One very big clue was the way we assembled the full backs, all four I would imagine, selected primarily for their attacking qualities, rather than their defensive ones. That suggests to me that the initial, or eventual, plan was to use the full backs to provide the width, with a narrow and compact midfield three. That we aren't playing that way now, means nothing, only that Carlos is prepared to be flexible with his systems. He will use whatever system suits best the players at his disposal.

We always win? 3 times we've started with it, won 2 lost 1 (to mk dons)

At MK DOns We started with 5 across the middle, with neither HOoper or Wallace. Two nil half time. WHen we put Wallace and Hooper on to play 442 we "won the half" one nil.

Against Wolves, BIrmingham and Fulham it was 442 with the fab four midfield and two men uo front.

There is a thread all about how well it has worked over the time when we have used this approach. It is undeniable.

At MK DOns We started with 5 across the middle, with neither HOoper or Wallace. Two nil half time. WHen we put Wallace and Hooper on to play 442 we "won the half" one nil.

Against Wolves, BIrmingham and Fulham it was 442 with the fab four midfield and two men uo front.

There is a thread all about how well it has worked over the time when we have used this approach. It is undeniable.

Slightly incorrect, we actually drew the half 1-1

Don't think it matters as long as the players are comfortable in the positions they're playing in to be honest.

I think we can get a bit bogged down with it all.

Exactly right.

Technically you could say we've played a 442 since Burnley away. But it's more a 442-ish. As I said before, it's 442/451/433/4231 at any one time.

We were a proper 442 last season under Gray. Some clearly can't see the difference.

We're a fluid attacking side now and someone made a great point earlier in the thread about the only players that need to be rigid, are the defenders and defensive midfielder. The rest will become compact when we're out of possession, usually making it a narrow 451, and expansive when we have the ball.