Forestieri

Out of interest, have you ever played football? I'm not having a dig, honestly, I'm just curious to know if you did... as I suspect that if you were a defender you'd be viewing it differently.

For me, defenders have to do two things:

-Cover each other

-Keep in line with each other as much as possible

When Palmer gets beaten on that right hand side, and when the ball is out on that touchline on the right hand side, the whole defence will move as a unit and shift right. Otherwise if Palmer gets beaten by the player going around him, the attacker can come infield with the ball and attack the right side of the box... and the ball is more likely to be delivered to the near post/centre of box than the far... and even if it is delivered to far post, there will be time for the defensive line to shift left again to close the ball down

In the above picture, you've got both Hutch and Loovens shifted well right. Hutch is probably about two yards too far right, meaning that Loovens is about too far right... Wiggins doesn't seem to have equaled how far they've moved across- hence part of the reason that there's a huge gap in defence. So ultimately, the whole defensive line's fault, minorly Hutch for going a couple of yards too far, but that's only minor... major issue with Wiggins not compensating and matching the rest of his back four.

Now the biggy... the lack of a flat back four. Palmer, Hutch, Wiggins, all perfectly placed in terms of depth. Loovens is in no-man's land... a good 3/4 yards too far forward. Being out of position width wide by a couple of yards isn't too big a big deal... 'depth' wise it can really cause you problems. If he had been aligned with his back four, it's a simple interception and clearance.

As has been said, poor defensive work all round, but for me, positionally speaking at least, the order of blame goes (from least to most culpable): Hutch, Wiggins, Loovens. No idea what a man of his experience is doing out there

lol

Sigh

If Hutch does his job properly, Wildsmith could have been leaning on the post having a tab whilst Semedo sits chatting to the crowd.

Many small errors, one critical one.

Why is Hutchinson's poor positioning more critical than loovens' or semedo's? I could just as easily say to you if loovens is stood where he should be then Hutchinson could be stood chatting to the crowd. No one is more culpable than anyone else. Sougou didn't track back, Palmer didn't cut out the cross, hutch loovens and semedo were stood in the wrong place and Wiggins wasn't close enough to his man. Just a very poor goal all round.

Why is Hutchinson's poor positioning more critical than loovens' or semedo's? I could just as easily say to you if loovens is stood where he should be then Hutchinson could be stood chatting to the crowd. No one is more culpable than anyone else. Sougou didn't track back, Palmer didn't cut out the cross, hutch loovens and semedo were stood in the wrong place and Wiggins wasn't close enough to his man. Just a very poor goal all round.

hutch looked like he was in the best position to nullify the cross. Palmer's too far away to block it so Hutch should've closed him down, if this happened then Wiggins' positioning in the box wouldn't have mattered

hutch looked like he was in the best position to nullify the cross. Palmer's too far away to block it so Hutch should've closed him down, if this happened then Wiggins' positioning in the box wouldn't have mattered

If wiggins' position in the box was correct hutchinson's wouldn't have mattered. All equally culpable

Because his primary job is to be in that place and stop that ball.

Anyway, points made on both sides. Don't want to dwell any further

I voted for Bannan.  It's easy to give the prize to they guy who puts the ball in the net but Bannan has been a revelation in midfield.  He's been fantastic in the last month too.

It's a pleasure to watch the boy. Vision, technique, short and long passing, if he could score more goals I doubt we'd have him. Been superb.

Agree he might have been unlucky.

But FF's form has also been superb - when we signed him I didn't expect such a good goals return to be honest. Thought he was more of a flair forward than a goalscorer. Really impressed.

What I really like about the pair of them is that despite the 'flair' tag neither of them is afraid to put a shift in, close down, track back and do the ugly jobs too.

Two excellent players. 

We can argue all day chaps. It's just terrible defending all around.

One thing i am sure of is that when Carlos went through the debrief on Tuesday he won't have been singling one person out like we are. They'll all have had their ears bent I'm sure.  

Edited by Lord Snooty