Development Squad

I will be totally honest and admit I've seen him in the flesh only once - so to speak...

Wasn't at all impressed but it's way too insignificant to make a judgement.

His goals look awesome but that doesn't tell the story either.

In short I can't really make any judgement.

Interested in Maleks thoughts after seeing him

Edited by scram

If we can't keep Hirst at the club given all the history and just as importantly money we've now got then we might as well shut the academy down for good

First big club that comes in for him his dad'll be telling him to go for it, be it now or in 5 years when he's our number 9

Penney deserves a pro deal without question.

Great control, pace, can pick a pass, shoot, influences a game - needs to step up to U21 physically

Thanks Kivo - you see much more of him

But physicality is often where players fail so he needs to sort that out

The fact Penney has scored a bunch of worldies and doesn't have a pro deal suggests there are still some big question marks around him

I haven't seen him play a full game, so I can only comment on what I see (or more accurately, don't see) happening

Not that I don't want him to succeed but we've seen other youngsters sign pro deals early - and no doubt Hirst will be next at 17

Maybe their testing him by not offering him something.

You just never know with academy coaches, I've seen him play quite a lot ad it's pretty obvious he's going to get a deal maybe he thinks that and the coaches want to ground him or see what he's like working under pressure.

Watching today and a couple of the under 18's I know about are playing. Young hirsty leading line. Penney playing and Melo in holding position.

Also some contraption on North west corner. Guessing it's for one of televised games.

Edited by mozzy85

needs to step up to U21 physically

Definitely something that some of the fans need to take into consideration when they are wanting young players to come into the main squad. The skill might be there, but if they can't compete with older players physically, then it's not going to end well. Having seen clips of players like Penny and Hirst, can you imagine them trying to compete against Lees and Turner? Wouldn't get a sniff. Give the lads a few years and some serious gym time and I'm sure they'll come good.

Edited by Minton