Ron Springett on his time at Wednesday

Guest minsk owl

great read Dunsby, ...... loving the bit about Catterick, ....... seem to recall family members telling me some other stories, about what a b@stard he could be 

Remembered for...

not wearing gloves. He would trot out onto the pitch scuff various marks around the six yard box, pick up some of the scoffed soil spit into his hands and rub the soil into his palms to aid grip.

Corners, he would hold tightly onto back post to aid an acceleration as the corner was taken if it was anywhere near the six yard box it was his. He also had the knack of taking the ball one handed and gathering it in as he went to ground.

Player then weren't booked for sticking ball in the net when flagged for offside, Springett used to revel in denying those offside. The bigger the name the more he liked it.

All the top names were his victims.

The crowds favourite though was when Ron would dive full length against a well struck shot and not only make the save but catch it two handed.

The best display of goalkeeping ever seen at Hillsborough came at the end of December 1964 a 0-0 draw with Leicester City bot Banks and Springett were magnificent the score but for these two could have been anything.  

I only remember Ron going off injured once. He picked up a badly sprained ankle in the first half of a game against Blackpool Dec 63 David Layne went in goal, he lead a bit of a charmed life but kept the clean sheet and Eddie Holiday got us a second half winner.

Just wondering if anyone can recall whether Ron did ever pull on any gloves ? He always had a cap for the setting sun at the Kop end perhaps being a confirmed Londoner it should have been a Trillby lol 

Thanks dunsby, as always, an oasis of sanity amongst the hysteria of a lot of the threads on here.

Also, thanks nev for recalling the Leicester match of 64. It's one of those matches that stands out in your memory even though it's now 50+ years ago.

Hard to believe that a 0-0 draw could do that. It was a real ' battle of the keepers' and I remember both Ron and Banks being outstanding that day. No exaggeration to say they were the best two keepers in the world at that time.

Don Megson I'd imagine

You are right - as he stated in his autobiography "it was an inglorious way to go" ;-(  and went on to say "It wasn't a grand farewell. I walked away with nothing but my boots to show for 18 years".  #wawaw :-)

_57_zps1tptyzkx.jpg

Edited by dunsbyowl