Carlos Carvalhal, Mr Chansiri & the new regime : Some Perspective

At the end of the day nothing will change...the same people who were criticising the club last year will continue doing so  until they find some other scapegoat / player  / coach / kit / ground / own fans...it's easy to stand back and criticise anything today...all you need is a computer... and most of them don't even put their money where their mouth is and rack up on matchdays...**** em

Guest totemowl

Cc 'model' ended up in him leaving European management and taking the dollars working for an academy in the middle east.

If his model or management was successful he wouldn't have followed this path.

A failed manager is obviously the Wednesday messiah.

No. It ended up with him being more succesful than the incumbent at Besiktas before taking one of the more prestigous jobs in the arabian subcontinent. A job that gave him a technical director role where he could apply his coaching through the academies right up to the first team.

Guest ka58

At the end of the day nothing will change...the same people who were criticising the club last year will continue doing so until they find some other scapegoat / player / coach / kit / ground / own fans...it's easy to stand back and criticise anything today...all you need is a computer... and most of them don't even put their money where their mouth is and rack up on matchdays...**** em

This is what I was on about earlier - why do people who are a bit sceptical about what's happening get run down.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. Nothing they post on here will influence the success of the club.

It will either work or it won't. Some have their view that it's a bit of an odd approach. A gamble almost. If it comes off good stuff.

The belief that people have some sinister desire to see it fail is not representative of everyone who isn't sure.

Guest Fedor

At the end of the day nothing will change...the same people who were criticising the club last year will continue doing so until they find some other scapegoat / player / coach / kit / ground / own fans...it's easy to stand back and criticise anything today...all you need is a computer... and most of them don't even put their money where their mouth is and rack up on matchdays...**** em

Grow up

Excellent OP.   The "old model" has not brought us within sniffing distance of success for 20 years so I'm more than prepared to see new ideas.  As we all know, football is a results business, but you can't fault what Mr. C has done so far. Dead wood cleared, new coaching staff arrived, new pitch, scoreboard, players starting to arrive etc.   My only slight concern is the increase in prices generally and in particular, the boxes, but the argument is, I suppose, if we want top class football we'll get top class prices.  

Why are so many on here concerned about the price hike of the boxes when, most of us on this site can't afford one anyway. Or, have I got it wrong and there's only me that can't afford one?

The opening post is reasonably good, but I must take issue with "his (Gray's) football philosophy was caution first and to do well the opposite approach is required". 

Plenty of clubs have enjoyed success by playing defensive football and it is idealistic and pompous to suggest that only attacking can bring any measure of progress. Indeed, last season was our second highest finish in 15 years despite being dour. With our mediocre wingers and strikers, what would such a cavalier approach have resulted in had we employed that in 2014/5 instead? Sure, we'd have scored more often, but what effect do you imagine it would have had at the other end? 

As frustrating as it was, Gray took something like the right approach with the players at his disposal, and the league table bears that out. To assert with such certainty he could not have taken us to the next level has little in the way of supporting evidence as we never really gave him the chance to find out what he could have done with a better squad. I suspect some of those holding that opinion are using special pleading and wishful thinking to reinforce their predetermined conclusions. 

Edited by DJMortimer

This is what I was on about earlier - why do people who are a bit sceptical about what's happening get run down.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. Nothing they post on here will influence the success of the club.

It will either work or it won't. Some have their view that it's a bit of an odd approach. A gamble almost. If it comes off good stuff.

The belief that people have some sinister desire to see it fail is not representative of everyone who isn't sure.

I would agree with you if it wasn't the same people over the last few years...same people...different Players / management...it doesn't seem to make a difference...who cannot be excited after the 20 years of total mismanagement at the club that we seem to be moving the club into the modern era ? Perhaps people who want to see us fail?

Guest ka58

I would agree with you if it wasn't the same people over the last few years...same people...different Players / management...it doesn't seem to make a difference...who cannot be excited after the 20 years of total mismanagement at the club that we seem to be moving the club into the modern era ? Perhaps people who want to see us fail?

I don't follow the posters enough on here to know if it's the same ones.

I think the argument is whether this is "moving us into the modern era". I personally don't see how this managerial appointment / committee has done that.

It's different yes - but thats all.

As always there's 3 groups on this thread.

The Postive Fans.

The Fans who can see both sides of the argument.

And last but by certainly no means least the fans who've decided CC's sh!te and there is no chance whatsoever this will work.

So in two months time or more likely 2 or 3 games into the season, group one but more than likely group 3 can have that long standing argument that goes down very well on here 'The I Told You So Argument'

My opinion is the chairman has been brave in trying to alter the way the club does things. He's obviously looked at the club's recent history and feels we need to change our ways to have a chance of success, he might well be right?

My argument is some people don't like change never have, never will?

That said, I remember when there was uproar when Yorkshire CCC decided to go beyond the boundaries of the county to bring in Australian players and the like. It's not done them any harm, has it?

Who knows doing something from the norm might work for us and we might enjoy some long standing success because of it?

No. It ended up with him being more succesful than the incumbent at Besiktas before taking one of the more prestigous jobs in the arabian subcontinent. A job that gave him a technical director role where he could apply his coaching through the academies right up to the first team.

I know like Dj mortimer u delight in being a c8ckend, but ffs this is a very poor managerial app

Guest totemowl

I know like Dj mortimer u delight in being a c8ckend, but ffs this is a very poor managerial app

lol

You've only got to look at the facts. Then again you seem to delight in not doing that, in being a jebend. Prob best if I just accept that tho in't it.

Btw I don't know whether he's the right man for the job. I think he's a good interesting choice but I won't twist facts to pass my opinion.

lol

You've only got to look at the facts. Then again you seem to delight in not doing that, in being a jebend. Prob best if I just accept that tho in't it.

Btw I don't know whether he's the right man for the job. I think he's a good interesting choice but I won't twist facts to pass my opinion.

This is where you struggle.

You or we aren't expected to know. We do give our opinion, usually based on past performance of a player/manager.

Go on, rather than slating ours, look at cc past ten years and share your own.

Guest totemowl

This is where you struggle.

You or we aren't expected to know. We do give our opinion, usually based on past performance of a player/manager.

Go on, rather than slating ours, look at cc past ten years and share your own.

I'm not slating your opinion. But as i said my interpretation of the last 4 is very different to yours. The facts show his record at Besiktas was pretty good, given what came before and after.

I think the argument is whether this is "moving us into the modern era". I personally don't see how this managerial appointment / committee has done that.

It's different yes - but thats all.

If every team in the division followed all the supposed 'rules' of how to go about running a football club (whatever they happen to be at that point before the next shiny fad comes along), one would still finish top and one would still finish bottom. Sometimes people take comfort in hiding behind simplistic notions of good/bad, right/wrong etc.

As many have tried to suggest amongst all the noisy mud-slinging, none of us really has any idea how this will work out and it would be foolish to take any of these opinions too seriously. 

Edited by DJMortimer

Guest Distraught!

As many have tried to suggest amongst all the noisy mud-slinging, none of us really has any idea how this will work out and it would be foolish to take any of these opinions too seriously. 

Yes, quite!

There is one constant in football though and it's more true now than it's ever been. Regardless of what system or structure is adopted by the club, the overriding factor that will either result in success or failure is funding. Changing the structure alone will not a magic formula for success. Chansiri has to back his plan with solid investment or we are unlikely to move on from what existed in the past.

Adopting a flowing, one touch style of play won't in itself cut the butter. Other clubs will pretty soon find methods to negate it. It will depend on the quality of players we have compared with the other clubs.

On that point, we will just have to sit back and await the transfer policy. I have not seen anything to get me too greatly excited on this front just yet but that can certainly change in future.

Looks like this is all going to be a disaster...... Let's hope not and the delusional happy clappers are right for once

And let's hope some of the slimey, backstabbing, glass half empty, merchants of doom get off their collective backsides and actually change the habits of a lifetime and physically turn up to witness the new dawn at the club they purport to support .

And let's hope some of the slimey, backstabbing, glass half empty, merchants of doom get off their collective backsides and actually change the habits of a lifetime and physically turn up to witness the new dawn at the club they purport to support .

You forgot "get t'lane"....idiot.

As for "new dawn" we will see but this appointment and the players added so far come right out of the mold of the last 20 years... Which is to say indifferent at best and more often than not inadequate.