Deliberate short termism

I know plenty of people are disappointed by the appointment of CC but the man has 1 job only, to get the into the PL.

Some big names have been bandied around and people seem to be forgetting that to all intents and purposes, Wednesday are a two-bob championship/league 1 club. Yes many non-fans have a little soft spot for us and would like to see us back at the top but this does not extend beyond England giving us absolutely zero pull with any European coaches.

The 1st stage of moving this club forward is to get in the PL, surely this has to be done in a sensible way.

Once the promised land has been reached, the club has a whole lot more to offer. Suddenly, there are coaches all over the place who want to manage in the PL and there are only 20 places available, it becomes a buyer's market. Instead of paying over the odds to pursuade lower PL level players to come to/stay in the Championship, you can build a PL team on a PL budget.

Step 1. Get to Premier League in a sustainable and sensible manner.

Step 2. Build a team (appoint a coach if necessary) to stay in and compete in PL.

Patience people.

The European model is based on short termism, coaches come coaches go, the senior management structure and philosphy remains.

Im ok with that, Southampton are our blueprint

This. Real Madrid, 12 coaches in 12 years. Bayern 8 coaches in 11 years.

Read like a who's who of football management, are they all failures cos they were only short term? I like the sound of CC and wish him luck, and yes, some people were expecting the likes of Mourinho (Klopp to be precise).

I know plenty of people are disappointed by the appointment of CC but the man has 1 job only, to get the into the PL.

Some big names have been bandied around and people seem to be forgetting that to all intents and purposes, Wednesday are a two-bob championship/league 1 club. Yes many non-fans have a little soft spot for us and would like to see us back at the top but this does not extend beyond England giving us absolutely zero pull with any European coaches.

The 1st stage of moving this club forward is to get in the PL, surely this has to be done in a sensible way.

Once the promised land has been reached, the club has a whole lot more to offer. Suddenly, there are coaches all over the place who want to manage in the PL and there are only 20 places available, it becomes a buyer's market. Instead of paying over the odds to pursuade lower PL level players to come to/stay in the Championship, you can build a PL team on a PL budget.

Step 1. Get to Premier League in a sustainable and sensible manner.

Step 2. Build a team (appoint a coach if necessary) to stay in and compete in PL.

Patience people.

Agree with most of what you have said but lets not talk ourselves down.

We have spent 4 seasons out of the past 36 in League One or the equivalent (only seven seasons??? in our 148 year history at that level).

We are one of the biggest clubs in The Championship in terms of support and HOPEFULLY we now have the financial muscle to compete as well.

Wednesday would be an attractive proposition to many of the Championship's managers and nearly all British managers out of work (Allardyce is a step too far)

Edited by HirstWhoScoredIt

The thing that is strange is the reason bandied about for Gray's demise was not being a big enough name. So people are expecting a big name. Not sure where the 'big name' talk came from but this has overinflated many people's expectations.

Agree with most of what you have said but lets not talk ourselves down.

We have spent 4 seasons out of the past 36 in League One or the equivalent.

We are one of the biggest clubs in The Championship in terms of support and HOPEFULLY we now have the financial muscle to compete as well.

Wednesday would be an attractive proposition to many of the Championship's managers and nearly all British managers out of work (Allardyce is a step too far)

Nobody wants to talk us down but gone are the days when we first dropped to championship when every club used to come to us and play like it was a cup final cos it was the only time in their season (for some their career) that they would play in front of 30,000 people.

To look at it another way, in the last 5 years we have spent 2 of them in the pub league and 2 battling relegation back to the pub league.

The thing that is strange is the reason bandied about for Gray's demise was not being a big enough name. So people are expecting a big name. Not sure where the 'big name' talk came from but this has overinflated many people's expectations.

I think some people look at the likes of Man City and Chelsea, see tens of mlions pumped straight in and get an over inflated sense of where we are. No one is going to go out and drop £50 million on manager/players for a championship club. It's just bad business. Get to prem then spend yer 50mil

Nobody wants to talk us down but gone are the days when we first dropped to championship when every club used to come to us and play like it was a cup final cos it was the only time in their season (for some their career) that they would play in front of 30,000 people.

To look at it another way, in the last 5 years we have spent 2 of them in the pub league and 2 battling relegation back to the pub league.

But you can't cut out the good part of the history and count the bad part.  The present position is what matters (I accept that is kind of what you are trying to say).

At present we are not a "two bob Championship/League One Club".

We are a club that has improved its League position for four seasons in a row.  Has the biggest ground outside the PL.  One of the largest supporter base outside of the PL.  Apparently ambitious owners intent at chucking some money at it.

My overriding point being, that we are an attractive proposition to most British managers.

My overriding point being, that we are an attractive proposition to most British managers.

I agree with this. In the OP I was deliberately belittling the club on an attempt to gain a sense of reality. When you really look around though, which British managers could we attract right now that could both get us out of the championship and then move the club forward further down the line. Most Orem quality British managers are managing in the PL or will only go to a club in the PL.

But you can't cut out the good part of the history and count the bad part.  The present position is what matters (I accept that is kind of what you are trying to say).

At present we are not a "two bob Championship/League One Club".

We are a club that has improved its League position for four seasons in a row.  Has the biggest ground outside the PL.  One of the largest supporter base outside of the PL.  Apparently ambitious owners intent at chucking some money at it.

Nope - We're pretty much irrelevant outside of Sheffield.

Nope - We're pretty much irrelevant outside of Sheffield.

I don't think this is strictly true though it would certainly heading that way without the change that is hopefully coming.

Living in London, people around my age (37), do have good memories of us and want to see us back up there but to anyone under 30 we are a total irrelevance (it is nearly 20 years since we fielded a decent team).

Said this elsewhere earlier,

Appoint a manager/coach with the sole aim of getting us promoted.

Fail abysmally = sack

Fail via playoffs = sack or another season

Promotion = sack and big bonus and new manager with different skill set and new target.