Rhodes - Nothing's happening...

Yes.............consider this though Wickhams wages alone would put 3mill a year onto his cost! per year!

If Wickham is on 60k/week, I don't see how he could be considered a cheaper alternative.

How much do you guys think Rhodes will be on?

Who says Wickham is on 60K?

I was offering up an alternative to Rhodes

I don't think we can afford either

But of the two I'd go for Wickham over Rhodes every day of the week

Rhodes has never played above Championship level, and people want to gamble 12 million on him

What about FFP rules

Do we blow all the transfer budget, or a large slice on it one player?

Ideally, we'll be signing the best of the freebies this coming close season, like we did with Westwood and Lees

We'll also be signing value for money youngsters like McGugan, that have their best years ahead of them.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

That would make the transfer fee £4m; half of what Blackburn paid!

Was his reported new contract terms signed in the summer.

That would make the transfer fee £4m; half of what Blackburn paid!

Was his reported new contract terms signed in the summer.

cheers guys    all i can say is it beats working for a living

Imagine Rhodes goal scoring record matched with our defensive record?

Promotion would be a real possibility.

No chance on earth we'll pay that much on any player - I doubt we'll spend that much in the next 3 years Combined.

Think people look at Wickham with rose tinted specs. Aside from his 2nd stint with us, and that brief purple patch at Sunderland, he's not really done it anywhere yet. Rhodes on the other hand is a true 20 goal a season striker, I'm genuinely surprised he's not in the premiership.

He's been on the bench alot lately though, they arent in a financial position to play hardball he's on 35k a week and 5 grand a goal. they cannot afford to have that wage on the books no more. he was signed hoping to fire them straight back up, he hasn't. and they cant afford him anymore.

I don't know the financial state at Rovers, but I do know if Rhodes became available, at least half a dozen clubs would be serious about doing a deal. That alone would mean he'll go for a lot more than £4m.

Guest AbbeyOwl

Why is signing a player for 12m the road to ruin? Agreed if we were doing it out of our finances it would be but we arent, we are now a rich mans play thing, not a bad thing look at Chelsea. It doesnt mean we go bankrupt it means lets hope the rich man is in love. Before people mention the FFP the devil is in the detail and how funding is put in. 

For me I hope we have 100m spent on the team and build a couple of new stands nothing would make me happier, even if in 5 years it all ended in tears, sick of watching crap in a crumbling stadium. Success breeds success, we get to the promised land the TV money is now so vast that where we are today will be how Man City fans look on Maine Road with happy memorys whilst watching some of the best footballers in the world.

Why is signing a player for 12m the road to ruin? Agreed if we were doing it out of our finances it would be but we arent, we are now a rich mans play thing, not a bad thing look at Chelsea. It doesnt mean we go bankrupt it means lets hope the rich man is in love. Before people mention the FFP the devil is in the detail and how funding is put in. 

For me I hope we have 100m spent on the team and build a couple of new stands nothing would make me happier, even if in 5 years it all ended in tears, sick of watching crap in a crumbling stadium. Success breeds success, we get to the promised land the TV money is now so vast that where we are today will be how Man City fans look on Maine Road with happy memorys whilst watching some of the best footballers in the world.

How old are you, seriously? 

Aside from it being ludicrous money that we don't have, there's escalation.

If Jordan Rhodes is on 35k a week, how many players are going to happily sit on 5k a week with us?

Blows our budget out of the water and sends us down the wrong path.

Just read your bit about not being bothered if it all ends in tears. Are you for real?

Edited by Hawkeye

If Jordan Rhodes is on 35k a week, how many players are going to happily sit on 5k a week with us?

Yeah...but look at Chelsea!>!

Everything that's been said about signing Rhodes, his cost, his wages is true. Snag is, you don't get to the Premier League within two seasons without him, plus others. It's Chansiri's time limit, not ours. If he wants speedy promotion, he'll have to put his hand in his considerable pockets. Developing the likes of Bus, Keane and May takes time, assuming they make it, and Chansiri's a man in a hurry.

Guest Darkus Owlus

Imagine Rhodes goal scoring record matched with our defensive record?

Promotion would be a real possibility.

No chance on earth we'll pay that much on any player - I doubt we'll spend that much in the next 3 years Combined.

Think people look at Wickham with rose tinted specs. Aside from his 2nd stint with us, and that brief purple patch at Sunderland, he's not really done it anywhere yet. Rhodes on the other hand is a true 20 goal a season striker, I'm genuinely surprised he's not in the premiership.

I that's highly improbably if I'm honest.

I can easily see £6-10M being spent in close season alone - people will be surprised I think.

He wants to get us up by 2017 - that is pretty much a statement of intention, although he said selected recruitment that can mean 3 very expensive players or 5 reasonably expensive players.

Either way, we will spend comfortable seven figures on players next season without a doubt, there simply isn't another option if we're to go up in two seasons.

Keane & McGugan could total a few million combined right there.

Guest AbbeyOwl

People would seriously be happy us spunking £12m on Rhodes!?  :wacko:

I really like the kid, but nowhere near worth that much to us! We could add 3 or 4 quality signings elsewhere in the team

Where is the US in the money that he would cost its not our money, we are simply paying customers

Guest AbbeyOwl

Just read your bit about not being bothered if it all ends in tears. Are you for real?

Why dont we have the money? Where will any money come from? We are losing money now and look at the crap we have, any increase in expenditure will come from money the club does not currently generate it will come from the owners pocket. So are you happy for him to spend say 4m on a player but not 12m? Why? Why does it make a difference to you? 

Look at Chelsea, Man City, even Hull, to improve will mean spending by the owner. People need to forget our club, our finances because if we want to move forward it will not be with money we generate, it will be done with outside money, whether that is hefty sponsorship or gifts. Football has changed we will get nowhere on the funds we generate now.

My comment about it ending in tears was tongue in cheek, it already has several years ago when MM had to save us, from then on the destiny was not in our hands. I believe alot of money will be spent and we will get in the Premiership who knows what happens then, hope we are like Chelsea or Man City and not like Cardiff although saying that even they are better off now.

None of them are worth it. The reason they go for that money is because a number of clubs are all vying for one player, and that inflates the market. It's a bit like a house which stands in the way of a leisure complex being built. That house suddenly triples or quadruples in value. It's not what a player is worth, it's what he's worth to you. If paying £12 million for Rhodes is the difference between going to the premier or not, then yes he's worth it. Between the end of this season and the beginning of next, if we take Chansiri at his word, we need another 30-40 goals in the team, and that's going to cost big. Once again, it's not our time limit, it's his.

Why dont we have the money? Where will any money come from? We are losing money now and look at the crap we have, any increase in expenditure will come from money the club does not currently generate it will come from the owners pocket. So are you happy for him to spend say 4m on a player but not 12m? Why? Why does it make a difference to you? 

Look at Chelsea, Man City, even Hull, to improve will mean spending by the owner. People need to forget our club, our finances because if we want to move forward it will not be with money we generate, it will be done with outside money, whether that is hefty sponsorship or gifts. Football has changed we will get nowhere on the funds we generate now.

My comment about it ending in tears was tongue in cheek, it already has several years ago when MM had to save us, from then on the destiny was not in our hands. I believe alot of money will be spent and we will get in the Premiership who knows what happens then, hope we are like Chelsea or Man City and not like Cardiff although saying that even they are better off now.

You've argued against your own point there though - where will the money come from? If we are already losing money on our current setup, as you've stated, then hoe do you envisage us spending millions?

Chansiri himself has stated smart buying not big buying will be his strategy, personally I'm on board with that. Even with next seasons relaxed ffp, there's still a limit to our spend.

Chansiri is just not going to walk in and sign up a dozen multi million pound sponsorship deals. It'll be significantly better than before, but absolutely no chance he'll blow 8 figures on player transfers.

Yes, Hawkeye, I agree with you. And that's why I think I was a mistake for Chansiri to say that we were aiming to get into the PL within the next two seasons. Clearly, if Middlesbrough and Derby are prepared to spend that kind of money just to give there promotion bids a "push", where does it leave us? Floating in the brown barrel. Clearly Chansiri can't spend "sensibly" and get to the Premier League. It's impossible with the team we have. Frankly, we're fortunate that we've not been involved in another relegation battle, let alone talking about promotion. We've gone as far as we can go on two bob. OK, if you're prepared to wait until the end of this decade then you can get young promising players and develop them. But there's just no way that you can turn a team like ours into a promotion-winning side within the next two seasons without big spending, and even then they've got to bed in. I get the feeling that there are going to be a lot of very (or velly) disappointed Owls fans.

Guest AbbeyOwl

You've argued against your own point there though - where will the money come from? If we are already losing money on our current setup, as you've stated, then hoe do you envisage us spending millions?

Chansiri himself has stated smart buying not big buying will be his strategy, personally I'm on board with that. Even with next seasons relaxed ffp, there's still a limit to our spend.

Chansiri is just not going to walk in and sign up a dozen multi million pound sponsorship deals. It'll be significantly better than before, but absolutely no chance he'll blow 8 figures on player transfers.

Yes we are losing money so even spending £4m will be losing more money it will rely on the owner he will do what he wants its not our money he could go mad spend 200m he could write a note saying we owe him the money it is his choice, his club, his assets.

Forget all this us and we.

You have no idea what he will do absolutely none, but yet you tell me its me who is wrong, I have no idea what he will or wont spend.

If you look what he said he said spend wisely, wisely means different things to different people, a wise investment to a billionaire may not be wise to you. If he is serious about getting in the Premiership we need to be better than all those currently above us, that will not be done with loanees and telling May to have a haircut.