Press Conference today at 1pm

If there is no money, surely it can't be spent?

SWFC should stand on its on feet, not propped up by some rich owner looking for a plaything. I prefer to be known as a Burnley rather than a QPR to be honest.

I get people want us to "spend" on some transfers, but in reality no-one apart from the clubs that are now under Embargoes actually spent anything last year. There is no money anymore, we spend within our means, as we should do in all walks of life. I still don't get why people think this should be different with a Football Club.

I think the frustrations are seeing Blackburn in 60m+ of debt and under embargo, spending money on players whilst we continue to play by ffp rules.

See also forest and QPR last year.

Ultimately they are castles built on sand - not even the riches of the premier league could wipe out some of the debts mounted up by some clubs - but it seems very unfair that we play by the rules, and get further behind everyone else.

Guest Bournemouth Owl

If there is no money, surely it can't be spent?

SWFC should stand on its on feet, not propped up by some rich owner looking for a plaything. I prefer to be known as a Burnley rather than a QPR to be honest.

I get people want us to "spend" on some transfers, but in reality no-one apart from the clubs that are now under Embargoes actually spent anything last year. There is no money anymore, we spend within our means, as we should do in all walks of life. I still don't get why people think this should be different with a Football Club.

I know what you mean and I probably would have a similar opinion between the two, but on saying that I would love to be in the same boat as Chelsea or Man City, both similar clubs to Wednesday a few years ago

Guest TommyTank

We all think that Stuart Gray was a good appointment because of the results he's managed under constraints, however there is one man who owes a great deal more to the performance of Stuart Gray and thats our owner, at the moment we are 9th in the table and therefore criticism of the club is seen to be insane.

We do have one of the lowest budgets in the division, that is Milans doing, we couldnt really argue if we were in the bottom 5. Our squad is lacking real quality in the final third, either outwide or in the striking department, our options are really poor compared to all other Championship clubs, that includes Blackpool, id take Delfouneso, Miller or Eagles and thats without looking at their squad and off the top of my head.

Milan got very lucky with the appointment of Gray, Milans lack of ambition is clear, survival, yet he talks about the playoffs despite having such a small budget, either wages or transfer fees, he gives us spin so we buy season tickets and matchday tickets, we (the fanbase) plough our money in, yet it goes to nothing. we get nothing back, free transfers or last minute loans to make the numbers up.

Some people are happy with this, some aren't, either side of the arguement shouldnt be bullied into keeping quiet, freedom of speech and all that.

Some on here seem to paint us as the only ones who are complying with FFP When even sides like Bournemouth and Brentford on their meagre crowds can outspend us, where does that leave us. At what point will our amazing housekeeping benefit us? As virtually every club in the division, seemingly hurtles towards the abyss, will we be catapulted to the promised land, by virtue of being, last man standing. All those who rejoice in taking the moral high ground when it comes to spending, only spend what you earn, what will be your stance if we are taken over by a wealthy benefactor?

Some on here seem to paint us as the only ones who are complying with FFP When even sides like Bournemouth and Brentford on their meagre crowds can outspend us, where does that leave us. At what point will our amazing housekeeping benefit us? As virtually every club in the division, seemingly hurtles towards the abyss, will we be catapulted to the promised land, by virtue of being, last man standing. All those who rejoice in taking the moral high ground when it comes to spending, only spend what you earn, what will be your stance if we are taken over by a wealthy benefactor?

good question and one i cant answer ......but what i will say is we´ve seen what spending what you dont have brings and we dont want to go down that road again.

good question and one i cant answer ......but what i will say is we´ve seen what spending what you dont have brings and we dont want to go down that road again.

I think, because a few of us have seen us take this stance before, we are a little sceptical. You will probably remember Dave Richards saying a similar thing, when refusing to pay out big fees in the Premier League. It was annoying at the time because we seemed so close to becoming an established top league club. All that small time thinking, where did it get us? We still ended up in a financial mess, far worse than the majority of our rivals.

Edited by gurujuan

Guest TommyTank

Footballs changed, it used to be a case of the bigger clubs with the bigger crowds etc had higher wage budgets and spent the most money. This made sense.

Football now means anyone who are willing to get in debt can have a go.

FFP should give us an advantage over these teams, its not a coincidence that we are 9th this season without increasing our budget etc, some teams ie Brighton, Bolton, Blackpool,  Wigan, Leeds, Millwall have started to get in line with FFP, others are still going for it.

Lets see what happens to those teams like Forest and Blackburn if they dont adjust over the next couple of seasons.

Footballs changed, it used to be a case of the bigger clubs with the bigger crowds etc had higher wage budgets and spent the most money. This made sense.

Football now means anyone who are willing to get in debt can have a go.

FFP should give us an advantage over these teams, its not a coincidence that we are 9th this season without increasing our budget etc, some teams ie Brighton, Bolton, Blackpool, Wigan, Leeds, Millwall have started to get in line with FFP, others are still going for it.

Lets see what happens to those teams like Forest and Blackburn if they dont adjust over the next couple of seasons.

How do Bournemouth get away with it?

Bournemouth and Brentford sold grabban and for Shaw for 3m each.

Which they reinvested.

If we get a rich benefactor I will personally be of the opinion, as long as the money they spend is the clubs money, and the club isn't in debt, it's down to them if they want to invest their own money. Ffp has effectively shut the door on this happening anyway.

The argument that everybody else is overspending so we should too, shouldn't even be debated.

Guest TommyTank

I wouldnt imagine Bournemouths wage bill is that high compared to some Championship clubs, they made most of their signings in League One which is what I was hoping for under Milan but it never happened.

Marc Pugh was really impressive at League One level, he was always going to make the step up, Harry Arter is another one who performed well at that level and looked like he could make the step up with ease, other ones including Elphick, Francis, Cook, Pitman, Daniels are solid players. 

Matt Ritchie is quality, he was at Swindon supplying Austin, Bournemouth took a gamble on him, not much of a gamble I might add.

With the additions of Kermorgant from Charlton, hardly going to break the bank on wages, Wilson from Coventry, again, a bargain and finally Stanislas who would probably be the highest paid having dropped down from Burnley.

They have done some amazing business and belong where they are, they have built a team, good luck to them.

Hi BigDan

Whenever I try to give a reasoned reply, I am chastised for doing so. I think that some people are too blinkered in their undying gratitude to Milan that they can't appreciate the reason behind any argument put forward that is in the slightest critical towards Mr Mandaric. Don't get me wrong, I am glad and grateful that MM acquired our club because he saved us from a winding up order when he did but that doesn't automatically mean that he is beyong question or criticism.

I have posted long, thorough and reasoned posts before only to be faced with abuse and accusational and sarcastic responses from the pro-Mandaric mob (did you notice I didn't use the "c" word there?). Apparently, I don't know what I'm talking about - this has been pointed out by lots of Owlstalkers - I can only assume that they're all well practiced and experienced football chairman given that their opinion is more valid than mine.

I am absolutely fed up with people telling all and sundry that we should be grateful and accept our lot. Nobody is beyong criticism - absolutely nobody.

Its easier (and more fun) to put "clap clap". I will stop calling people clappers when the pro-Milan mob stop bullying people for expressing their opinion.

Regards

Shandy

The pro Milan posts are argued / debated / "jumped on" just as much (if not more) as anti Milan posts. That's Owlstalk init.

But the clappers thing has past it's sell by date now.

So I don't really agree with your last point.

Edited by bigdan2003

Guest TommyTank

The pro Milan posts are argued / debated / "jumped on" just as much (if not more) as anti Milan posts. That's Owlstalk init.

But the clappers thing has past it's sell by date now.

So I don't really agree with your last point.

You and a few of your buddies are the worse for it, bullying people into supporting Milan, you wont acknowledge other peoples opinions.

Clappers - fans who will clap along happily no matter what happens.

Its all over Owlstalk, its all over the Hillsborough, everyone loved Milan when he came in, he did indeed rescue us from a rubbish situation that could have been alot worse.

The only manager he backed was Irvine, that was an initial investment into the squad to get us up, we then got promoted, we signed Antoniofor a fee and then sold him for a profit, we didnt see much else coming in apart from free agents and loan signings, our squad is gradually getting smaller, because we have relied on the loan market too much.

From the minute he walked in he had an exit plan, get us to the Championship and sell, ,make a nice profit.

If you want to love him, carry on but dont rip into people who actually see it how it is, he's had no interest in us for the last 3 seasons, he got what he came for.

Its taking Milan far too long to sell us which now puts him in a dodgy situation that could see us sold to anyone, see Mammadov.

Keep clapping Dan.

Guest Bournemouth Owl

The fact is the Bournemouth Wage bill if far higher than Wednesdays, believe it or not the wage bill for Bournemouth is Eleven Million Pounds, the over all running of the Club is 15 million pounds in total... Compare that with Wednesday.

But he told you exactly what he was going to do when he came in. Get us in a stable position in the championship , in a better position on and off the field. He told us he was not going to invest in us to the level required to get the premier league but would do his best to sell us to somebody who would.

So everybody says if he does that he will make money on us, but we don't mind because he will have made us a lot better club

If he manages to sell us he will have done all he said, not many football chairen do that.

Yet you still moan. Were you not listening.