Nuhiu

I don't get this hate for certain players. Nuhiu scored and contributed twice as much positive play than May did tonight yet May is given an easy ride (and hero worshipped by some) while Nuhiu is criticised for the slightest mistake. By no means am I criticising May (because I want him to succeed) - I just believe that Nuhiu is contributing more and I am baffled by the criticism he takes

.... and even if you're not an admirer of the big lad, some of the flak is just over the top. He's not a FJ or JB after all.

I don't think he's adept at holding long balls up, I think that a better midfield (Lee, Hutch) will start to play around him. You can't argue with his goal return, thus far, but I don't think it will be sustained.

The irony is that until recently the most popular adverse commenting from his critics went along the lines of "OK he holds the ball up well and works hard for the team but he's paid to score goals and he just doesn't".

Edited by Dagmeister

well c'mon Dag he did miss more than he scored at one bit and some were harder to miss than score , ;-)

True but this is getting rarer by the week. One of his qualities is that he clearly is working hard to improve his weaknesses which is admirable. He's our top scorer and has been one of our successes this season. His critics either refuse to acknowledge any good in him or at the best squeeze back handed compliments through clenched teeth.

Edited by Dagmeister

An open question: If we get better service.

How will Nuhiu benefit from this?

Will they supply him with balls behind the defence for him to run onto, will he start banging the headers in from crossers, or will he be involved in ones two and short through balls etc?

Wouldn't we all just love to see him (and May) have that opportunity. If only.

Will they supply him with balls behind the defence for him to run onto, will he start banging the headers in from crossers, or will he be involved in ones two and short through balls etc?

Who knows. Would be nice to find out...

I think it would help him, the problem is a lot of the time we hoof the ball 5 inches over his head and then blame him. Our crossing is non-existent which doesn't exactly help, just one quality winger who actually knows how to put a decent ball in would work wonders for his goal tally, he hasn't had one all the time he's here. I think better service would undoubtedly benefit May more as he can work with the balls in behind we desperately lack at the moment, obviously Nuhiu's pace or lack thereof prevents him from really capitalising on these. I'm liking the reasoned debate here, makes a pleasant change from just slagging him off.

I think he would score much more, but he will always be in the thick of things, he's a defenders nightmare, the Ipswich defence switched off for his goal and they paid the price.

Great cross as well.

Edited by TaxiMark

scores more than may because often or not may gets stuck out on the wing when his strength is as a goal poacher ,,but that said if nuhiu keeps scoring fair enough '

May was playing down the middle tonight Trev. It's May's natural game that takes him out wide but, IMHO, he needs to be selfish and spend more time in the box rather than trying to run hard in the last third. All of May's good work takes place in the box where the defenders are unnerved by his movement with the ball but he's easily eased off the ball by the opposing centre-halves and fullbacks outside the area where there is less risk for the defenders.

I think it would help him, the problem is a lot of the time we hoof the ball 5 inches over his head and then blame him. Our crossing is non-existent which doesn't exactly help, just one quality winger who actually knows how to put a decent ball in would work wonders for his goal tally, he hasn't had one all the time he's here. I think better service would undoubtedly benefit May more as he can work with the balls in behind we desperately lack at the moment, obviously Nuhiu's pace or lack thereof prevents him from really capitalising on these. I'm liking the reasoned debate here, makes a pleasant change from just slagging him off.

Agreed.

LIke many I too would like to see May being deployed as an out and out striker benefitting from quality delivery.

No clenched teeth here dag I assure you, I have already stated if he continues to score that's what he's here for and so it should be , never doubted his work rate and the scoring adds to it ,that said though as long as he maintains it then fair enough

May was playing down the middle tonight Trev. It's May's natural game that takes him out wide but, IMHO, he needs to be selfish and spend more time in the box rather than trying to run hard in the last third. All of May's good work takes place in the box where the defenders are unnerved by his movement with the ball but he's easily eased off the ball by the opposing centre-halves and fullbacks outside the area where there is less risk for the defenders.

Definitely agree, for me his great strength is when he gets on the ball in the box he confuses the defenders and makes them back off. Perfect example would be his goal against birmingham. Obviously in the SPL you're afforded space which you just don't get in the championship but I'm confident he'll be able to adjust

No clenched teeth here dag I assure you, I have already stated if he continues to score that's what he's here for and so it should be , never doubted his work rate and the scoring adds to it ,that said though as long as he maintains it then fair enough

Seriously though Trev, goals aside, as I've said before he has more to his game than mere work rate.

fair enough shandy but in the thread concerning maghoma and may people couldn't understand why may was put on the wing and maghoma was in the middle ,if that thread is wrong then I apologise , but saying that it's pointless sticking a striker goal poacher out there (if it was grays decision

Edited by trevdi9

Seriously though Trev, goals aside, as I've said before he has more to his game than mere work rate.

and ive Agreed with you dag , ;-) my posts were more against his missing simple goals and his prowess in front of goal, as of now he is trying to put that right , so hopefully it will continue for him ,

fair enough shandy but in the thread concerning maghoma and may people couldn't understand why may was put on the wing and maghoma was in the middle ,if that thread is wrong then I apologise , but saying that it's pointless sticking a striker goal poacher out there (if it was grays decision

Well we can agree that we'd both like to see May being used to his strengths Trevmeister. Said it for ages; our priority IMO is someone who can deliver quality balls into the danger zone.... others disagree though unsurprisingly!!

NIght all