Right Back

Guest conisbrough

Guest conisbrough

I noticed that Buxton was injured (again) for match at York. When players start regularly picking up injuries after age 30 just seems to continue and this happened to Buxton last year and agan not set off well. Believe we need player who can play at right back (preferably utility player who can play across back for). I know we have several players who can cover position but personally think Lee and Hutchinson better employed in other positions in team. This leaves Palmer who did well but we need another option who can play in that position, it would be useful if they had pace and could play at centre half as well..

Buxton and Palmer can fight it out and it will be interesting to see how quickly newcomer Young progresses. Who knows, we might sign another right sided centre back who can play there. I saw Hutchinson give an accomplished display in the right back position at Ipswich last season. Plenty of cover in that position I would have thought

Guest OsiinAlnwick

Understandable concern however, too early to right Buxton off yet. He's been a good servant to the club and deserves every chance to get his fitness back.

As with all players they're employed to fulfill a role. If/When they can longer fulfill that role you have to look elsewhere.

Guest wilyfox

Buxton will be fine. Gray said it was an impact injury in collision with Paul Corry and will only be out a coupla weeks, so don't overreact. Him and Palmer plus the versatile Lee and Hutchinson. Young in development as well, we're covered.

Palmer will start the season there with Buxton as back-up.

It still depends on who comes in, I'm sure if we're light in midfield SG won't think twice about putting Palmer in the middle.

The CB options are the one's that need to be addressed, we need another quality player to play along side Loovens and then maybe another as back-up, I know Buxton, Hutch and at a push Semedo can fill in but I'd rather have a recognized CB than playing players out of position.

we've got plenty of players on the books who can play at right back (at a push):

Lee, Hutch, Semedo, Mattock along with Palmer and Buxton.

I know buxton has been having injury problems, but I don't think we can justify signing an additional signing, especially when we'll have the loan market to cover emergencies.

If we sign a CB who can cover there, then so be it, but I can't see it as a problem position

Sean O'Driscoll said when commentating on a Wednesday game towards the end of the season that he felt Hutchinson's best position was right back. He had him on loan at Forest. So don't think we are short of decent cover, all be it we haven't used him at RB that much so far.

Buxton maybe not as injury prone as some other players we have had recently, but this is the second pre-season that he has been injured. When we're trying to develop understanding between a back four, pe-season games do help with this. Although, you would imagine that we are also at least one centre back short as well.

To a degree it is easier to slot forward players in towards the end of pre-season, but shaping a settled back four would benefit from getting another CB in and Lewis fit in time to play at least a couple of the friendlies with the keeper and back four that we are planning to start with at Brighton.

Edited by DevOwls Advocate

Palmer will start the season there with Buxton as back-up.

It still depends on who comes in, I'm sure if we're light in midfield SG won't think twice about putting Palmer in the middle.

This is how it should be

Palmer is RB unless we have no other options left in midfield, then you have an experienced and capable full back like Buxton available to cover the RB position while Palmer slots into midfield

I don't see Palmer as a midfielder long term, but its nice to have these options and not have to worry about them

Maybe the solution to Buxton's injury problems (there's no denying that last season was not the best for him injury and performance wise and at 30.5 maybe he doesn't have the engine he once did) and our searching for a CB with pace would be to move Buxton to CB and buy a decent RB.

Guest JonTheOwl66

To any great success?

Joe Mattock has played centre back before - doesn't mean he should be played their permanently.

To any great success?

No idea, not possible to find his stats broken down by position but I'm pretty sure he's played a number of times at CB, way more than Spurr for example and our fans were saying for years and years that we shouldn't criticise Spurr at LB cos he's a CB!

Buxton isn't a centre back. Never has been never will be. Keep him in his best position.

Buxton has played many a game at centre back and is a very solid one at that - played a few for us and at times has been our best centre half. he's more then capable of playing there

the way some of you are talking about buxton at CB make it sound like he's played a third of his games there.

He's played over 200 games for us, and I bet he's played about 5-10 of those as a CB, about as many as he's played as RM or LB.