Hillsborough Redevelopment

The only problem with selling part of the West to home fans is what do you do when it is a big game?

You'd have to either make it pay on the day only or move season ticket holders for big games. Is that what other teams do?

As for moving away fans, that seems a non-starter. It would have to be either North-West or South-West. The North West has arguably the best atmosphere in the ground and the club see the South as its flagship stand and would rather we had more home fans in there.

Should just get rid of that stupid north west corner and replace it with that large tv screen that Milan bought us a few years ago and is still waiting on the delivery

Its on its way .......... its being delivered with Milans cash from America. Wont be long now. 

Personally I would leave the south and North alone....

Knock the Kop Down and redesign making it better atmosphere wise but smaller.... And knock the west stand down redevelop it but smaller and try and reduce the capacity to around 32k.

Guest _Ibbo_

If i ever win big on the euromillions, enough to spunk it on swfc, my first act would be to completely demolish the west stand and look at a massive external upgrade of Hillsborough.

After sacking Gray and seeing if i could get Roland N in as 1st team coach ;-)

Knock the Kop Down and redesign making it better atmosphere wise but smaller.... And knock the west stand down redevelop it but smaller and try and reduce the capacity to around 32k.

the kop would take some knocking down seen as its built on a mound ......not sure 32 k would be big enough if we ever do get back to the prem .would only leave about 25k for home fans .

Knock the kop down???

It just needs the pillars removing like shown in the upgrade plans

And reduce the capacity to 32K when a return to the prem would see crowds of over 38K?

Madness

And reduce the capacity to 32K when a return to the prem would see crowds of over 38K?

Madness

I doubt we'd ever see 38k averages, maybe the odd game now and again, possibly 2-3 a season if we were in the prem but that's years away. 32 would be more than ample for us... but in reality it'd cost way too much so what's it matter!

Guest Grez Bez

I don't get all the talk about reducing the capacity. It just doesn't make business sense. If you own a 5 bed house you don't knock down half of it when the kids leave!

I would like the lep to be rebuilt with 2/3 rows of exec boxes so we can compete with other clubs in terms of matchday revenue

ALSO, there is LOADS of space behind the kop, could add 2/ 3 stories with loads of space for the fans (or whatever else) if we extended the roof back to the road

We don't need a 40k stadium simple as that, a 35k stadium is more then big enough for SWFC if we ever get to the Prem, I never liked 7000 away fans on the Lepp, 3000 is plenty for the away team, Pigs got it right for there most recent Prem season, if you look at the old stats for attendances for SWFC you'll note that most big crowds were for FA Cup ties, that ain't ever going to happen again.

Anyway nothing's going to change, it'll still be exactly the same in 10 year because were going absolutely nowhere, and if anywhere, down!

We don't need a 40k stadium simple as that, a 35k stadium is more then big enough for SWFC if we ever get to the Prem, I never liked 7000 away fans on the Lepp, 3000 is plenty for the away team, Pigs got it right for there most recent Prem season, if you look at the old stats for attendances for SWFC you'll note that most big crowds were for FA Cup ties, that ain't ever going to happen again.

Anyway nothing's going to change, it'll still be exactly the same in 10 year because were going absolutely nowhere, and if anywhere, down!

why would you build a stadium to lose you money ?......7000 away fans paying 30 quid is a lot more than 3000 doing the same.

I don't get all the talk about reducing the capacity. It just doesn't make business sense. If you own a 5 bed house you don't knock down half of it when the kids leave!

I would like the lep to be rebuilt with 2/3 rows of exec boxes so we can compete with other clubs in terms of matchday revenue

ALSO, there is LOADS of space behind the kop, could add 2/ 3 stories with loads of space for the fans (or whatever else) if we extended the roof back to the road

we can't sell the exec boxes we've got!

Some statements in here show an absolute lack of understanding of Premiership football and its attraction - and to be fair understandable given we have been out of it so long.

PL football doesn't attract just die hards and part timers like a big championship match - it turns part timers into home season ticket holders - it pulls in the fair weather fan and big match fan on more regular occasions - 8- to 10 matches a seasons and it converts yes converts people affiliated with other Sheffield Wednesday fans and not necessarily Sheffield Wednesday fans themselves into match attenders, it attracts tourists it pulls in the students.

Big player signings that inevitable follow with a prolonged stay also pull in a new crowd - and attracts new fans. Before you know it you reducing the away end to 3K only and opening up the bottom tier of the Lep to home fans only.

Of course this ain't going to happen here for while mind.

Edited by dowls

why would you build a stadium to lose you money ?......7000 away fans paying 30 quid is a lot more than 3000 doing the same.

Man Utd, Scousers, possibly City, Geordies if there doing well and a big team on first day of the season are the only ones that would sell 7000, the rest of the time it would be 3000 max. Plus a large away contingent gives the away team a boost.

Some statements in here show an absolute lack of understanding of Premiership football and its attraction - and to be fair understandable given we have been out of it so long.

PL football doesn't attract just die hards and part timers like a big championship match - it turns part timers into home season ticket holders - it pulls in the fair weather fan and big match fan on more regular occasions - 8- to 10 matches a seasons and it converts yes converts people affiliated with other Sheffield Wednesday fans and not necessarily Sheffield Wednesday fans themselves into match attenders, it attracts tourists it pulls in the students.

Big player signings that inevitable follow with a prolonged stay also pull in a new crowd - and attracts new fans. Before you know it you reducing the away end to 3K only and opening up the bottom tier of the Lep to home fans only.

Of course this ain't going to happen here for while mind.

Of course attendances would increase, Palace got an extra 7,000 onto their average attendances which goes to show you what is possible.

But have a look at the stats for average attendances compared to stadium capacity. Most lower level prem clubs are still down around 10% on average, for us that would be around 4,000 empty seats. Which coincidentally is pretty much the number people are throwing around in here! Palace were still only 87% full (that'd be 34000 ish for us).

One issue we'd face is that we don't seem to have a fantastic corporate facility model in place right now... we've all heard the stories of it not making as much money as it should... how exec boxes have been empty for matches. This is where clubs can make a killing in the premiere league and as it stands we'd have no room for expansion of this without redeveloping a stand. and the west stand is the only logical choice for it 

The issue is much larger tho, our facilities are poor in the hospitality area, we don't seem to be able to recoup enough from them outside of match days and the season.

Yorkshire CCC have a fantastic system in place with Headingley Carnegie. I visited to talk to their PR last year and the place was abuzz with students. Just about every part of their corporate facilities was used by the university (the press box turns into a nice lecture theatre for example). It enabled them to develop their facilities and for the university to get ties with a real sports operation which meant a lot to the students.

Considering the changes being made to the sheffield college and hallam university over recent years, we (and the pigs to some extent) have missed massive opportunities in this area.