Worst than last season?

Guest JonTheOwl66

It's the same concept - which you don't seem to understand. However, as easy as it is, I won't begin a slanging match.

The ONLY way to reliably compare your performance year on year is to compare points total. League position is dictated by the performance of OTHER teams.

And this post concisely contains my thoughts on the topic.

Good night.

My post seems to have been missed.

How can we judge this season already when we have 2 games left and could potentially finish on 59 points, making us 1 point better off than last season?

You're right! It's the concept of measuring performance I believe we're debating.

We will have improved regardless if we finish this season with a higher points total.

Guest CageFightingOwl

It's the same concept - which you don't seem to understand. However, as easy as it is, I won't begin a slanging match.

The ONLY way to reliably compare your performance year on year is to compare points total. League position is dictated by a combination of your performance and performances of OTHER teams.

Wrong.

Points totals are dictated to by all the other teams.

1st and 2nd = promotion

3rd - 6th = play offs

22nd - 24th = relegation

The points total will change season on season and will have no reflection on who finishes where.

So in other words the points total doesnt matter, its where you finish that matters.

6th and 7th could be level on points, have they both had equal seasons despite 6th place possibly gaining promotion?

Same for 21st and 22nd, level on points but the points mean f'k all, its the league position that counts.

Guest wilyfox

We should be worried for next season. We're on a backwards slope... fear it fear it.

What's that based on, fanny juice exploding from your nether regions? lol

Guest CageFightingOwl

You're right! It's the concept of measuring performance I believe we're debating.

We will have improved regardless if we finish this season with a higher points total.

Erm.

My post seems to have been missed.

How can we judge this season already when we have 2 games left and could potentially finish on 59 points, making us 1 point better off than last season?

That's exactly the point I made earlier in my head but couldn't be arsed to post it.

My next thought was that, even if we do end up with a lower total, many others have had a much greater decline (points total) than ourselves.

Bolton finished with 68 points last year - currently on 55.

Charlton finished with 65 points last year - currently on 45.

Birmingham finished with 61 points last year - currently on 43.

Leeds finished with 61 points last year - currently on 53.

Blackpool finished with 59 points last year - currently on 43.

Huddersfield finished with 58 points last year - currently on 50.

Millwall finished with 56 points last year - currently on 44.

Barnsley finished with 55 points last year - currently on 39.

Compare Yeovil (currently on 37) with Peterborough (relegated with 54 points last season) and it all points to us having 'failed' admirably compared to so many others.

Guest CageFightingOwl

I'm quite optimistic about next season although I don't want to commit myself to a particular clique yet.

Im a bit worried.

Clearly its all about bringing in the right players and keeping the right players, that will decide how we do next season.

However, i wish i had more trust in Milan to deliver.

Look at the last 2 seasons and how poor we started.

Doesnt exactly fill you with confidence.

That's exactly the point I made earlier in my head but couldn't be arsed to post it.

My next thought was that, even if we do end up with a lower total, many others have had a much greater decline (points total) than ourselves.

Compare Yeovil (currently on 37) with Peterborough (relegated with 54 points last season) and it all points to us having 'failed' admirably compared to so many others.

Nice work, good post that.

Thats what was needed some Table gazers input. :) UTO

Guest CageFightingOwl

By quickly looking at that then i can guess that the top 10 will have had a much bigger points tally than last season.

Just makes you think how bad some clubs have been this year, I bet Pboro will feel bad if they don't go up this year.

Just makes you think how bad some clubs have been this year, I bet Pboro will feel bad if they don't go up this year.

Yeah. Also forgot Donny (currently on 43) who could be compared with Wolves (relegated with 51 points last year) and not a single team listed can possibly surpass their point tally from last season. We still can, theoretically.

Right, going on this season, it's chalk and cheese points wise. I've worked it out as follows:

DJ averaged 0.68 pts per game.

SG averages 1.5 pts per game.

We'd be on 66 pts now (based on SG's performance - if he'd been in charge at start of season)... Which means we're a top 6 side!!!! I'm happy as chuff now! Playoffs at least next season!

HMS PTL boarding and about to set sail. Sure after a summer of inactivity there will be a massive bump!

Wrong.

Points totals are dictated to by all the other teams.

1st and 2nd = promotion

3rd - 6th = play offs

22nd - 24th = relegation

The points total will change season on season and will have no reflection on who finishes where.

So in other words the points total doesnt matter, its where you finish that matters.

6th and 7th could be level on points, have they both had equal seasons despite 6th place possibly gaining promotion?

Same for 21st and 22nd, level on points but the points mean f'k all, its the league position that counts.

You're talking about position not points total. With all respect, I don't think you'll ever get it.