Charlton Fans at Hillsborough today

Getting to sheffield is pretty expensive, especially when you live in the most expensive city in the world.

Hmmmm, would have thought it'd cost us the same to your place, + your all richer than us daarn theer'

You excuses don't cut it.

Edited by Eaton_Swfc

KentAddick is growing on me, he has a sense of humour, but I will say this Kent, Millwall who are a smallish club in your neck of the woods always bring more, so do Palace but they're a bigger club then you granted, but even Yeovil brought more, and they get 5-6k gates.

Another thing, your away following is the poorest in the Championship or close to it, even teams like Orient and Dagenham have brought more up here and if you didn't have the recruitment agency of the 1990s , salesman knocking on doors in Kent (Maidstone Gillingham Medway) offering deals to come to watch Charlton for a quid with free travel to and from your home gates would still be around 8k.

Cheers for reading. 

Does away following really matter? Don't think anyone in the world really makes a big deal out of it except us english... and err... sheff wednesday supporters, since that's probably the only thing you can cling to.

Stick to trainspotting with your anerak on mush, commenting on the game yesterday you never attended is embarrassing for your genuine few to do travel. 

KentAddick is growing on me, he has a sense of humour, but I will say this Kent, Millwall who are a smallish club in your neck of the woods always bring more, so do Palace but they're a bigger club then you granted, but even Yeovil brought more, and they get 5-6k gates.

Another thing, your away following is the poorest in the Championship or close to it, even teams like Orient and Dagenham have brought more up here and if you didn't have the recruitment agency of the 1990s , salesman knocking on doors in Kent (Maidstone Gillingham Medway) offering deals to come to watch Charlton for a quid with free travel to and from your home gates would still be around 8k.

Cheers for reading. 

our away following is pretty cack but there are fundamental reasons which is linked to my next point. As for the "recruitment agency", at the end of the 80's we were a dying club, our stadium was rubble and we were scraping a few thousand at selhurst in the top division. So to have a premier league sized stadium and getting pretty decent championship sized crowds even when we were in league one and now in the champ is brilliant going. We once had the largest club stadium in the country and drew 10s of thousands a week, so we had a very dormant supporter base in the  south east london/kent/medway area and had basically an entire generation of fans disappear because of our financial troubles. There were a lot of initiatives put into place by the club to encourage lapsed fans who refused to go to selhurst (project 10,000, then project 20,000, then project 40,000 which err... pretty much ended after our relegation from the prem), the stories about "bussing in" fans from kent was created by the millwall fan and gillingham owner Paul Scally after he found a leaflet promoting the valley express in the medway area. I think there was a story of some moron leafleting at priestfields as well. We've never really encouraged away following in the same way, there's not really an away culture at the club, in a way it's a bit embarrassing but that's only if you're playing the "my nuts are bigger than your nuts" game that football fans like to play. 

But we're obviously where we are by merit, we're a championship sized club I'd say, but the attraction of the premier league can bring neutrals who turn into casual fans, which can then turn into supporters who raise their kids to love the club. Any club in the championship with a good season can sneak up through the play offs, as you can see with Palace, this can absolutely change the make up of the club and secure their medium term future and allow them to invest in infrastructure and bringing in fans. 

Hope that's helped explain some things.

Stick to trainspotting with your anorak on mush, commenting on the game yesterday you never attended is embarrassing for your genuine few to do travel. 

fixed that one for you, need to keep the t's crossed and the i's dotted and keep things organised. 

By the way, there isn't very many interesting trains that go to sheffield, might also explain it.

Proper bitter we come across here. Charltons away support has always been embarrassing, so no need to make a big thing out of it today because they beat us.

Why do people hate Charlton? Who cares?

They're not even on anyones radar in London. Literally a nothing club with no real rivals.

Why is there such animosity against them from us?

Was thinking the same, ironic that quite a big number of so called local Owls supporters would have been sat at home cheering the Team on in front of SSN when that photo was taken.

Only 900 up the M1 to Leeds a few months ago ??, some have short memories.

We don't charge £36 a ticket though do we? Yes we do come across as bitter but we do seem to do a thread taking the wee wee out of the other team's away support every week, win lose or draw.

Was thinking the same, ironic that quite a big number of so called local Owls supporters would have been sat at home cheering the Team on in front of SSN when that photo was taken.

Only 900 up the M1 to Leeds a few months ago ??, some have short memories.

If your happy with paying over the odds to watch football crack on.

Why do people hate Charlton? Who cares?

Why is there such animosity against them from us?

Funny that I don't like them for their bitterness about the lack of attention they got during their promotion season, mainly produced by Powell who bugged me more by swinging on our crossbar and general cuntish style of play. The dislike continued Monday and I don't think there's a bigger willy puller in league than Hamer.

I have to say, despite the clear lack of interest from the Addicks support, you could hear them over 20K silent Wednesdayites.

But when we have been in their position fighting for our lives we have turned out in numbers to get behind the team - 6000 to Peterboro away springs to mind.

If we have anything to fight for then we will turn up - its the other 90% of the season especially at home where we can't rely on a consistent turnout and vociferous support.

We can take 42,000 to Cardiff and fill all sides of our ground in both promotion and relegation deciders but we need to regularly capture and retain all those that will turn up on those days. Derby & Brighton manage it at home but aren't great travellers.

Maybe Gunsy is right that our ground apart from once a season, is now too big for us - either take down the upper Leppings Laneand reduce it to open seating only in the lower or we should start admitting under 16's in for nowt whether they are accompanied by an adult or not?

I have to say, despite the clear lack of interest from the Addicks support, you could hear them over 20K silent Wednesdayites.

But when we have been in their position fighting for our lives we have turned out in numbers to get behind the team - 6000 to Peterboro away springs to mind.

If we have anything to fight for then we will turn up - its the other 90% of the season especially at home where we can't rely on a consistent turnout and vociferous support.

We can take 42,000 to Cardiff and fill all sides of our ground in both promotion and relegation deciders but we need to regularly capture and retain all those that will turn up on those days. Derby & Brighton manage it at home but aren't great travellers.

Maybe Gunsy is right that our ground apart from once a season, is now too big for us - either take down the upper Leppings Laneand reduce it to open seating only in the lower or we should start admitting under 16's in for nowt whether they are accompanied by an adult or not?

I bet if Derby/Brighton we're in the position we've been in this season and last, a lot of their fans would start to disappear. A lot of people are just fed up for paying for football that isn't worth it. The aim at the start of the season was not 15th so a lot of people are of the opinion that until something changes, they won't be coming back. I'm certainly not supporting that view, thou should support your team regardless of situation or circumstances. 

I could barely hear their fans on Saturday, I actually thought the atmosphere was pretty decent. It isn't time to start knocking down parts of Hillsborough so we fill it up, it's time for away teams to actually start caring about going to see their team at an away game. 

It isn't time to start knocking down parts of Hillsborough so we fill it up, it's time for away teams to actually start caring about going to see their team at an away game.

As soon as The Hillsborough report is done and dusted we should get rid of that part of the ground that has stigmatised this club for 25 years, which cannot in any event be used at capacity if 'segregation' is required due to groups that are risk averse because of 1989 despite clearly being at odds with what happens all around the country with some yellow tape.

The level of away support is beyond our control but the ground needs to be flexible enough to cope with 175 Charlton fans or 5,000 from up the road without giving the impression that no-one, home or away, is bothered about coming to watch the Wednesday.