Liam Palmer

Guest Sheff Owl

I cannot see him as a long term midfield option.

He's good on the ball when he has time, but too often when pressed he plays to many, what I call coward balls.

My major issue with him is his laziness. Tracking back is awful, and leaves us far too exposed. Lacks a heart to play in the middle.

He has got the attributes to play right back, and I see him as a long term replacement to Buxton.

Palmer is a RB, Helan is a LB, Lavery is a striker. Hopefully Gray will realise these things sooner rather than later.

I do think Gray's hand has been somewhat forced on a couple of these. Probably not what any of us would choose but needs must.

We'll see if we get the chance to view a fully fit squad at the start of next season.

He's good on the ball when he has time, but too often when pressed he plays to many, what I call coward balls.

My major issue with him is his laziness. Tracking back is awful, and leaves us far too exposed. Lacks a heart to play in the middle.

He has got the attributes to play right back, and I see him as a long term replacement to Buxton.

^^^^^^^^^

In a nutshell

You mean keeping possession  ? 

Guest CageFightingOwl

No, you definitely don't.

There's a difference between being aggressive and assertive. A cool head in football is better than running round wanting to smash heads.

So aggression means running around smashing heads in, you dont understand do you?

Im not sure being assertive gets you anywhere on a football pitch unless you are a referee. 

Keep it up JTO, you are amusing.

Guest JonTheOwl66

So aggression means running around smashing heads in, you dont understand do you?

Im not sure being assertive gets you anywhere on a football pitch unless you are a referee.

Keep it up JTO, you are amusing.

Definition of 'aggressive' - ready or likely to attack or confront; characterized by or resulting from aggression.

Definition of 'assertive' - having or showing a confident and forceful personality

Plus some links for you to read about being either aggressive or assertive -

http://www.thesportinmind.com/articles/aggression-in-sport-2/

http://www.unicommons.com/node/5542

Now, to clarify. Assertion in day to day life is different from assertion in sport. In sport, it refers to the idea that somebody plays within the rules but is hard and plays to the best of their abilities.

Aggressive behaviour in sport on the other hand is defined as having an intent to harm somebody you're playing against, either through a build up of frustration or being too highly motivated. Basically - progressing past the 'peak' motivation which then inhibits sports performance.

Now, as a result. You are WRONG in saying aggression is correct in sport. However, you are RIGHT in how you regard the best way to play is.

You are actually referring to assertion, instead of aggression. It's an easy mistake to make.

And don't bother telling me I'm wrong, because I'm not. I have read quite a few literary interpretations on the topic, which sadly I cannot find excerpts for on the internet.

Guest CageFightingOwl

Hostile Aggression or Instrumental Aggression.

Hostile Aggression - intent to do harm.

Instrumental Aggression - to win the ball.

Both types are seen as Assertive bahaviour but still aggression.

I would read the links mate and if you need me to explain more, i will be quite happy to.

Did i mention that degree in Sports Psychology?

Guest JonTheOwl66

Hostile Aggression or Instrumental Aggression.

Hostile Aggression - intent to do harm.

Instrumental Aggression - to win the ball.

Both types are seen as Assertive bahaviour but still aggression.

I would read the links mate and if you need me to explain more, i will be quite happy to.

Did i mention that degree in Sports Psychology?

Wrong. Aggression and assertion are two different things, despite their meanings often being blurred.

Your definition of instrumental and hostile aggression is way off too.

Hostile aggression is an attempt to hurt somebody.

Instrumental aggression is an attempt to win the ball (sticking with your example) by hurting somebody.

That's the entire basis of aggression in sport - you attempt to gain an advantage by physically harming somebody, breaking the rules as such.

Assertion is attempting to gain an advantage over an opponent, but they do that by not breaking any rules.

I don't know what you've been taught on your degree, but this is basic stuff. It's A Level standard. I'm not attempting to argue for the sake of it, or to belittle you or your degree - but you're WRONG.

People encouraging aggression in sport are completely wrong too I'm afraid. If the mentality of breaking rules being acceptable is instilled into children playing football, is it such a surprise that diving is so common nowadays?

There's this attitude of win at all costs - I like the concept. But players should not cheat, and should not physically attempt to injure other players.

By all means, be 'aggressive' - but express it through assertive play. The term aggression as termed by you is just a very poorly disguised umbrella term that ignorant people use to lazily label players that don't get 'reyt flipping stuck in'

They actually mean they aren't assertive enough - unless you mean you would like our players to go into every challenge hoping to break an opposition players leg?

Anyway, no doubt you'll disagree with my post, and that's fine. But sadly, you're wrong in your perceptions of what aggression is in sport.

Guest CageFightingOwl

Do you have any idea what you are talking about??

Wrong. Aggression and assertion are two different things, despite their meanings often being blurred.

Your definition of instrumental and hostile aggression is way off too.

Hostile aggression is an attempt to hurt somebody.

Instrumental aggression is an attempt to win the ball (sticking with your example) by hurting somebody.

Which is word for word what i said.

Read the link you posted, thats where i got it from

That's the entire basis of aggression in sport - you attempt to gain an advantage by physically harming somebody, breaking the rules as such.

Assertion is attempting to gain an advantage over an opponent, but they do that by not breaking any rules.

Is MMA a sport? is boxing a sport? Kick Boxing? trust me mate being assertive will just get you knocked out.

I don't know what you've been taught on your degree, but this is basic stuff. It's A Level standard. I'm not attempting to argue for the sake of it, or to belittle you or your degree - but you're WRONG.

People encouraging aggression in sport are completely wrong too I'm afraid. If the mentality of breaking rules being acceptable is instilled into children playing football, is it such a surprise that diving is so common nowadays?

Sport or just football? Since when did diving become aggressive?

There's this attitude of win at all costs - I like the concept. But players should not cheat, and should not physically attempt to injure other players.

Being Aggressive is now considered cheating, ok.

By all means, be 'aggressive' - but express it through assertive play. The term aggression as termed by you is just a very poorly disguised umbrella term that ignorant people use to lazily label players that don't get 'reyt flipping stuck in'

Now this is confusing, i thought you said you should not encourage aggression because its cheating.

They actually mean they aren't assertive enough - unless you mean you would like our players to go into every challenge hoping to break an opposition players leg?

This would be an example of hostile aggression.

Anyway, no doubt you'll disagree with my post, and that's fine. But sadly, you're wrong in your perceptions of what aggression is in sport.

Again, confirm Sport, all sport, aggression is a bad thing in all sports?

Dont necessarily disagree, but you contradict yourself, its quite hard to figure out what the f'k you mean.