Waddle on Beckham

Guest LeamingtonOwl

Yeah one man team wasn't they, you got it down to a fine art making a fool of yourself. 

Think you have here you egg.

6 Premiership titles, 1 european cup in which he set both goals up/ 115 caps for England. A great captain and role model. And the only English player to win a title in four different countries.

LEGEND.

Don't like Beckham. Good dead ball player, not so good at the rest. Ferguson said "He always runs to the camera when he scores and when someone else scores he's always the first one to jump on their back" Publicity seeking man/wife/machine creates supermegastar. As for Shearer mentioned previously, he wouldn't be mentioned in the same breathe if David Hirst had not had the injuries he had. 

Guest mrbluesky

Real Madrid 21st Century Pre-Beckham:
2000: CHAMPIONS LEAGUE
2001: LA LIGA
2002: CHAMPIONS LEAGUE, SUPER CUP, INTERCONTINENTAL CUP
2003: LA LIGA
Brand Beckham arrives:
2004: Nothing
2005: Nothing 
2006: Nothing
2007: (Capello drops Beckham) LA LIGA and hello LA Galaxy!

We could go on Lemonington, like i say he was a good player.

Guest owl_be_back

6 Premiership titles, 1 european cup in which he set both goals up/ 115 caps for England. A great captain and role model. And the only English player to win a title in four different countries.

LEGEND.

Shame your a BELL END s h i t breath

LEGEND.

Phil Neville - 6 Premiership titles, a Champions League winner, and 59 caps for England in positions where there was actually serious competition for the shirt

LEGEND

I'd say if you chose a Man Utd midfield which had Keane, Giggs, Scholes and Beckham, Beckham would be 4 choice every time. The other 3 were light years ahead of him in terms of both workrate and talent. Vastly overrated, but had a brilliant publicity machine behind him, which for 10 years shoved him down our throats at every given opportunity. Every time you read a newspaper or turned the TV on he was thrust on you, and I think eventually, everybody believed the spin that his wife's publicity machine was dishing out at every given opportunity. He wasn't fit to lace Tony Currie's (for example) boots, and I think if they'd been playing at the same time, Shezza would have proved a better player than Beckham.

Currie and Sheridan Better than Beckham Well everybody is entitled to their opinion .

What Currie and Sheridan had in common is that they were talented footballers who drifted out of games with annoying regularity

Why were neither signed by the elite clubs?

Beckham played and lifted trophies with Man Utd and Real Madrid

I'm sorry Chris Waddle but seriously?

Beckham is twice the player you ever were.

Waddle has more natural ability that 4 David Beckhams. I'm a huge fan of Beckham, but Waddle was a player of a generation. We've not had a player of his ilk since in an England shirt.

"He was never a problem until he got married. He used to go into work with the academy coaches at night time, he was a fantastic young lad. Getting married into that entertainment scene was a difficult thing – from that moment, his life was never going to be the same. He is such a big celebrity, football is only a small part."' – Alex Ferguson speaking about Beckham's marriage in 2007.

was overated as a right midfielder, was 'just' right foot and lungs.

could run up and down all game and get a great cross in when

his team mates got him in the final 3rd, but he rarely got them in the final 3rd himself. when he played for england

he often used to go to centre back to get the ball as he was easily marked out the game.

averaged 1 goal in 5 games and most of those would be free kicks which were as good as his crosses.

imo he was better as a cm due to lack of pace and dribbiling skill but a great right foot and engine.

with keane and scholes at man u and gerrard/lampard for england it didnt happen tho.

as england had no pacy left sided giggs type, the balance of their midfield was wrong

and they massively under achieved.

everyone banged on about the gerrard & lampard partnership

but we were poor down the flanks and struggled to beat sides that shut up shop as there was no

pace or width there. england relied on his set pieces but he was also a key part of an unbalanced team.

as a wide man waddle walks it for me but beckham would be the better cm.

he may have even been under-rated as a cm, tackling aside!

Don't like Beckham. Good dead ball player, not so good at the rest. Ferguson said "He always runs to the camera when he scores and when someone else scores he's always the first one to jump on their back" Publicity seeking man/wife/machine creates supermegastar. As for Shearer mentioned previously, he wouldn't be mentioned in the same breathe if David Hirst had not had the injuries he had. 

we,ll never know how good hirsty would have been without his injuries but we do know that shearer is the best prem striker ever .....

I happen to agree with Waddle.

Possibly not about him being outside the top 1000 (I reckon about 376th), but pretty much everything else. Beckham was and is vastly vastly overrated. He could cross the ball as well as anyone in the game and was extremely fit (covered miles in games and could complete a bleep test!); but lacked pace, tricks, skills, heading, tackling, didn't score many, and was made to look better because he was surrounded by players with bags of pace and didn't have to pass with as much accuracy  :blink:  

Waddle was a much better player!

Beckman is always criticised for this 'media machine' thing, but from memory I don't recall him poncing about on Top of the Pops with Glenn Hoddle or making a few snidy quid with a Pizza Hut advert, after ballsing up a penalty in a World Cup Semi Final.

Beckman is always criticised for this 'media machine' thing, but from memory I don't recall him poncing about on Top of the Pops with Glenn Hoddle or making a few snidy quid with a Pizza Hut advert, after ballsing up a penalty in a World Cup Semi Final.

good call ......

we,ll never know how good hirsty would have been without his injuries but we do know that shearer is the best prem striker ever .....

...except Henry, Cantona, RVP, Bergkamp, Wright, Van Nistlerooy, Le Tissier, Hasselbaink, Drogba, Torres, Di Canio, Rush, and of course, the boy wonder.

p.s. Chris really doesn't rate Cantona either. Apparently he was crap at Marseille  :picnic:

Ooooh Waddle missed a penalty. So feckin what. Beckham missed one too. Blamed the floor for it iirc. 

I'd criticise him for the media-***** thing because it distorted everyone's opinion of how good he was as a footballer. 

Guest mrbluesky

98 Argentina?