Waddle on Beckham

Guest owl_be_back

Former England winger Chris Waddle thinks David Beckham would not rank in the top 1,000 Premier League players.

Ex-Manchester United midfielder Beckham, 38, will retire from football at the end of the season.

"I would say he has been a good player, I wouldn't put him down as a great," Waddle, 52, told BBC Radio 5 Live.

I'm not sure i would agree with that!

I would to a certain degree but not to the extent of top 1000 more like 100

Beckham is the most over rated player of all time!!

He's a decent down to earth guy and got more medals, money and fame put together than all of these players like Paul Gascoigne, Alan Shearer, Matthew Le tissier, John Barnes, Chris Waddle, Eric Cantona, David Ginola, Zola, Di Canio,Dennis Berkamp ect but wasn't any where near as good them

David Hirst was a miles better player as well

Former England winger Chris Waddle thinks David Beckham would not rank in the top 1,000 Premier League players.

Ex-Manchester United midfielder Beckham, 38, will retire from football at the end of the season.

"I would say he has been a good player, I wouldn't put him down as a great," Waddle, 52, told BBC Radio 5 Live.

I'm not sure i would agree with that!

Typical f***cking lazy journalism, or rather mischief making tabloids.

Waddle never said Beckham wouldn't rank  in the top 1,000 Premier League players. He' s been completely misquoted.

I listened to the radio clip, what he actually said was: "You can go down a list of players from the Premier League or the 70s or 80s, whatever you want to do. I'll be honest, Beckham probably wouldn't be in the first 1,000."

He's not just talking about the Premier League - but world football over the last 40 years. And he may well be right in terms of raw ability and natural skill.

And he did say  'probably wouldn't be in the first 1,000'. He's not making a definitive statement.

And in fairness to Waddle, he also said: "I think there have been a lot more talented players in the world. But he made the most of what he has got"

And "As a player I would say he was a fantastic crosser of the ball, a great athlete."

The papers have picked up one strand and twisted it for their own ends.

Waddle was, refreshingly, not kow-towing to the `accepted' media image a 'national treasure' - but giving his own honest appraisal of how he saw Beckam as a footballer.

I don't agree with all that Waddle said - but his comments have been hijacked and distorted - cut him a bit of slack.

It's his opinion I'm glad he's got the balls to say what he thinks to many people in public life just come out with crowd pleasing statements, for me Beckham was brilliant in his time BUT I can hear what waddles saying, imagine if Beckham looked like Chris Morgan???????? No famous wife, no good looks, no brand, no aftershave, no pants, no hair products, no merchandise, MASSIVE clubs wouldn't have been a plenty, for me Waddle was a better player( more skill more tricks better with both feet)

To be fair tho Beckham got a lot of those thing because of what he did on the pitch. Obviously his looks helped but didn't build his career

Hate it when Wednesday legends embarrass themselves like this

Fucking hell Chris - just button it

Why has he embarrassed himself? Waddle gave a fair critique of a good player. You probably haven't heard what he actually said so why not listen for yourself instead of listening to chinese whisper and jumping to conclusions.

Listen from 26.30

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b022c48g

I'd say if you chose a Man Utd midfield which had Keane, Giggs, Scholes and Beckham, Beckham would be 4 choice every time. The other 3 were light years ahead of him in terms of both workrate and talent. Vastly overrated, but had a brilliant publicity machine behind him, which for 10 years shoved him down our throats at every given opportunity. Every time you read a newspaper or turned the TV on he was thrust on you, and I think eventually, everybody believed the spin that his wife's publicity machine was dishing out at every given opportunity. He wasn't fit to lace Tony Currie's (for example) boots, and I think if they'd been playing at the same time, Shezza would have proved a better player than Beckham.

Bang on the money Jack and Meowl is also dead right in that it's not exactly what Waddle intended. Beckham always gave 100% but shouldn't that be an expectation of every footballer? His deadball and long ball game were fantastic and then what? Couldn't beat a man, hit a ball on the run, tackle or head the ball. Truly overrated. Scholes on the other hand had the lot; it's a shame Erickson couldn't see that and build the England team around the right man. Paul Scholes is probably on eof the gretaest footballers England 'never had'.

The Beckham publicity machine rolls on.

Waddle is a fading pundit, trying to make headlines. Great player, poor manager. Probably not in the top 10000 managers even.

Beckham has been a credit to this country for years. Problem is that he suffers from the British disease. The one where anyone who is talented and successful, gets hated eventually.

Why do people on this forum insist on saying that if a contributor to threads doesn't rate somebody as highly as other people do, they "hate" the person concerned? Where has anybody on here said they hate Beckham? This "hatred" thing is very, very immature.

Guest mrbluesky

I agree he was a good player not a great player, lets be honest The Beckhams has been run as a business a very good one at that. 

Guest LeamingtonOwl

I agree he was a good player not a great player, lets be honest The Beckhams has been run as a business a very good one at that. 

6 Premier league titles.

Jog on mate.

Guest bulkoowl

Has to be in the top 10 as he made his best mate gary neville a england international when my dead granny could be a better right back

Why do people on this forum insist on saying that if a contributor to threads doesn't rate somebody as highly as other people do, they "hate" the person concerned? Where has anybody on here said they hate Beckham? This "hatred" thing is very, very immature.

That's a ridiculous post.

Guest mrbluesky

I'd say if you chose a Man Utd midfield which had Keane, Giggs, Scholes and Beckham, Beckham would be 4 choice every time. The other 3 were light years ahead of him in terms of both workrate and talent. Vastly overrated, but had a brilliant publicity machine behind him, which for 10 years shoved him down our throats at every given opportunity. Every time you read a newspaper or turned the TV on he was thrust on you, and I think eventually, everybody believed the spin that his wife's publicity machine was dishing out at every given opportunity. He wasn't fit to lace Tony Currie's (for example) boots, and I think if they'd been playing at the same time, Shezza would have proved a better player than Beckham.

Seconded, as above the PR machine has been in overdrive and his latest announcement will gain him several more millions, Real Madrid firstly signed him because it was a license to print money and secondly he was a decent player. 

Guest mrbluesky

6 Premier league titles.

Jog on mate.

Yeah one man team wasn't they, you got it down to a fine art making a fool of yourself.