Waddle on Beckham

Former England winger Chris Waddle thinks David Beckham would not rank in the top 1,000 Premier League players.

Ex-Manchester United midfielder Beckham, 38, will retire from football at the end of the season.

"I would say he has been a good player, I wouldn't put him down as a great," Waddle, 52, told BBC Radio 5 Live.

I'm not sure i would agree with that!

Guest wilyfox

His crossing and ability from free-kicks was as good as anybody's. As a fellow winger, I'd have thought Waddle would have shown greater appreciation for Beckham.

Guest Distraught!

Every single member of the first choice Manchester United XI team when Beckham was playing and most of the squad would make the top 1000 premier league players. That I have no doubt.

You don't achieve what Beckham achieved without being a top footballer

What did waddle actually achieve ? and compare it to Beckham

Beckham / Waddle

England caps

Major English trophies

Major European trophies

League titles

Not sure about that. I know what you mean but Shearers goal scoring was just constant. An absolute talisman.

Beckham wasn't blessed with pace or trickery and maybe there are a thousand more exciting players than him, but his dedication, professionalism, work rate and desire alone puts him up there at least as a model professional footballer.

Not to mention the fact his passing, vision and free kicks could quite literally win games on their own.

He single handedly dragged teams to a victory at every level. He was a fantastic player.

Guest wilyfox

I think Waddle would be hard pushed to find anyone in the game that would agree with his statement.

I think anyone who reckons he's not in the top 1000 should have to sit down and name 1000 better Premier League players. Ludicrous exaggeration.

He might have built a career on doing essentially one thing supremely well, but nobody who was so important to possibly the most dominant side ever to play in English football can be described as "good but not great".

Edited by arithmetic

I'd put Beckham in the same category as the likes of shearer

Good players but vastly over rated compared to players with true talent on the continent.

I think Alan shearers scoring record speaks for itself, there have been comparable strikers in Europe but I doubt iif in his lifetime there has been 10.

Beckham at his peak would have been selected in any club or national team

Edited by Geedee