Miguel Llera

Guest Deleted member

Guest Deleted member

Have we sorted a contract out yet?

Earlier this month his agent claimed he would be gone by the end of January as there was no acceptable offer on the table for him.

Will he still play against Brighton on Saturday?

Have we sorted a contract out yet?

Earlier this month his agent claimed he would be gone by the end of January as there was no acceptable offer on the table for him.

Will he still play against Brighton on Saturday?

My impression that DJ/Milan wouldnt be railroaded either way on this just because an agent makes noises.

He's contracted to us until the summer so we can use him as we like but run the risk of him being lined up by some one else.

Agents noises. We will get nothing for him and don't want to be paying over the odds for a player who is ageing. I'd rather just see him see out his contract then replace him. He's cool, but prone to mistakes.

That would be my view mate so long as we replace him with someone who is better, continued improvement and all that.

Not made many mistakes lately ,part of a very effective back four.Would better be available and at what cost ?

Theres always better available but the cost is a different matter all together. Will our budget under FFP be better than some clubs in this league? I would like to think so but im certainly no expert on this subject.

Not made many mistakes lately ,part of a very effective back four.Would better be available and at what cost ?

Depends what he's asking for. We may not be able to get a like for like replacement on his current deal, but could get one on the deal he's asking for. As nobody knows what he's on or what he's asking for I'm going to say yes, we could get a younger replacement for the money.

Guest Bedders

Still hoping & praying we can hold onto Llera.

Deffo got to be a one year offer at least. The system we are playing now really suits him & his longer aimed  passes from defence (rather than the usual centre half punts) really help us get our fast guys up front away. Classic counter attacking football needs good ball players....ask Man U they always have a quick winger such as Giggs, Poborski, Valencia & they all get away on the counter from good balls from the back not aimless punts! 

Guest wilyfox

Don't think DJ cares what Llera's agent says, and said at the time SWFC will decide when he leaves. DJ also highlighted the fact Miguel was free to negotiate a pre-contract elsewhere. I think he'll have to see the season out - and will then be released. DJ won't wanna break up that back 5 at the minute, but I don't think Llera will be partnering Gardner next season either...

Don't think DJ cares what Llera's agent says, and said at the time SWFC will decide when he leaves. DJ also highlighted the fact Miguel was free to negotiate a pre-contract elsewhere. I think he'll have to see the season out - and will then be released. DJ won't wanna break up that back 5 at the minute, but I don't think Llera will be partnering Gardner next season either...

Spot on , although he is worthy of another years contract at least . 

Spot on , although he is worthy of another years contract at least . 

On recent form, he certainly is worth another year, however I'd be disappointed if we started giving 34 year olds anything longer than that, which I get the feeling Llera might want.

He looks as fit as flip, therefore a 2 year deal would not be the end of the world.

However, it's not his agents decision whether he's here or not at the end of Jan, he's under contract until the summer.

Just agent being a bit of a rascal really and trying to get a bit of office time with PA I guess.

Guest Bedders

On recent form, he certainly is worth another year, however I'd be disappointed if we started giving 34 year olds anything longer than that, which I get the feeling Llera might want.

Although I'm a massive Llera fan, I'd only want to offer him a year. However I'd make it a very fair offer in light of his contribution in keeping us in the Championship (fingers crossed but looking better). Balls in his court then  on whether he takes it or risks not having a club at 34 yr old. 

If we don't keep Llera I fear that next season could be another half year of crap with 'building & learning' & 'working hard on the training ground to put things right' being said a lot whilst a new centre half gets used to the players around him.

Our new players in defence very rarely settle as soon as they arrive and very rarely ' hit the ground running'........

Edited by Bedders

You're always looking to improve your squad so if he does leave, I'd hope they replace him with someone better. For me though, he's doing very well at the moment. Who is to say that he won't get another contract offer if he continues his good form and avoids clangers. I love Llera personally and I get great pleasure knowing our tight defence includes him and Reda who, according to some experts, can't defend, which is of course, absolute poppycock

1 year only for me, still don't feel entirely comfortable with the centre half situation.

In the summer one of the priorities has to be finding a youngish centre half with a bit of pace that can play alongside gardener.

Edited by JoshTheOwl

Guest Bedders

1 year only for me, still don't feel entirely comfortable with the centre half situation.

In the summer one of the priorities has to be finding a youngish centre half with a bit of pace that can play alongside gardener.

Agreed.Needs to be a complimentary defender for Gardner. Opposite footed & good with the ball at his feet. Comfortable with playing in other areas of the pitch with the ball at his feet. Our side is working well at the minute with complimentary pairs.....Gardner & Llera.......Reda & Helan (up until recently).......Lee & Buxton.........JJ & Antonio.

Just hope we dont just bring a defender in as he's 'good'.....needs to fit our side.Don't just want a big lump.    

I think we would be prepared to offer him a 1 year deal, but quite rightly not until the end of the season.

I don't think we'd offer him 2 years though - but who would? He's going to be 34 by the time next season starts, and clubs generally seem to have a policy these days of not offering much more than a year to players his age. Maybe he could line up a coaching deal somewhere if he had his badges (which I doubt), but I can't see that being with us anyway.

Im not sure Llera would sign a 1 year deal - given his age. He'll be hoping for a final pay deal

I'd certainly like us to offer him a 1 year extension.

I can't see any other Championship clubs giving him anything longer than that either.

So then it would be up to him whether to stay at a higher level, or secure a longer deal at a lower level on a reduced wage.

I suspect his problem with staying here on just a year contract, would be that if we strengthen in the summer, he is unlikely to feature. If Taylor had played the way DJ surely had in mind, Llera wouldn't even be in the side now... So I can certainly see why he might make a move elsewhere to guarantee 1st team football.