My first post! And it's Bothryoyd!

Guest mahoosive

Guest mahoosive

I've tried to remain positive about jay Bothryoyd! I kept a specific eye on him last night at boro, to see if their was any validation to his tweets regarding "give me chances and ill score" etc.

DJ is playing a 4-1-4-1 system. Many fans are unhappy with this formation, but in my opinion it isn't supposed to be a rigid 4-1-4-1. The design is that when we have possession of the ball, it is supposed to quickly become a 4-3-3 system with semedo pushing into the middle and MA and JB making a 3 up top! When we lose the ball then it should quickly revert to a 4-1-4-1. (A lot like how Blackpool play)

Now JB states "give me chances and ill score". He is playing the same role as Antonio, often swapping flanks with him. JB is insinuating that he isn't getting any service! In reality he's getting the same service as MA, however MA is getting 5/6 chances per match......why? Because MA is making and creating for himself, by making intelligent runs off he ball, regaining possession when losing the ball, believing in lost causes etc etc. all things good professionals should be doing!

Now this is where my observations of JB last night were so dissapointing! It is rumoured hat JB is earning 35k per week, probably around 5 times as muck as MA, so in theory you'd want 5 times as much productivity from him???

Things I observed from JB last night is why we need to change him, but not the system. Whilst we were in possession of the ball JB was often stationary, expecting the ball to his feet, there was an occasion where Buxton played a ball to him on the touch line, it was a poor ball from LB, but no attempt was made from JB to even try and rescue the ball from going out if touch, instead he did the "I'm brilliant" shrugging of the shoulders. He made very little attempt at creating this 4-3-3 while we had the ball, which in turn makes the said formation look totally wrong.

What is more criminal and will become increasingly important, is that when HE lost possession of the football, never mind anyone else, it was his refusal to work to regain the ball (Antonio, always does this, with success) but instead rely on others to do his hard yards, which in turn, drags around this 4-1-4-1 shape I was talking about earlier. His protection of LB at right back is zero, making Buxton look poor. Since JB has been playing wide right, I can't remember when Lewis Buxton has bombed forward like he likes to. IMO this is because he daren't overlap JB because if possession breaks down then JB ain't gona bust a gut to drop in for him.

We are going to be in some real battles very soon, and every player has got to give 100% and be very disciplined to stick to the formation to do the job in hand, and I'm afraid I don't think JB has got that in him, so yes regrettably I am saying its time for a re-think DJ?

On a more positive note, really looking forward to semedo day at forest, where we can guarantee a player giving his all for the cause!! UTO

I've tried to remain positive about jay Bothryoyd! I kept a specific eye on him last night at boro, to see if their was any validation to his tweets regarding "give me chances and ill score" etc.

DJ is playing a 4-1-4-1 system. Many fans are unhappy with this formation, but in my opinion it isn't supposed to be a rigid 4-1-4-1. The design is that when we have possession of the ball, it is supposed to quickly become a 4-3-3 system with semedo pushing into the middle and MA and JB making a 3 up top! When we lose the ball then it should quickly revert to a 4-1-4-1. (A lot like how Blackpool play)

Now JB states "give me chances and ill score". He is playing the same role as Antonio, often swapping flanks with him. JB is insinuating that he isn't getting any service! In reality he's getting the same service as MA, however MA is getting 5/6 chances per match......why? Because MA is making and creating for himself, by making intelligent runs off he ball, regaining possession when losing the ball, believing in lost causes etc etc. all things good professionals should be doing!

Now this is where my observations of JB last night were so dissapointing! It is rumoured hat JB is earning 35k per week, probably around 5 times as muck as MA, so in theory you'd want 5 times as much productivity from him???

Things I observed from JB last night is why we need to change him, but not the system. Whilst we were in possession of the ball JB was often stationary, expecting the ball to his feet, there was an occasion where Buxton played a ball to him on the touch line, it was a poor ball from LB, but no attempt was made from JB to even try and rescue the ball from going out if touch, instead he did the "I'm brilliant" shrugging of the shoulders. He made very little attempt at creating this 4-3-3 while we had the ball, which in turn makes the said formation look totally wrong.

What is more criminal and will become increasingly important, is that when HE lost possession of the football, never mind anyone else, it was his refusal to work to regain the ball (Antonio, always does this, with success) but instead rely on others to do his hard yards, which in turn, drags around this 4-1-4-1 shape I was talking about earlier. His protection of LB at right back is zero, making Buxton look poor. Since JB has been playing wide right, I can't remember when Lewis Buxton has bombed forward like he likes to. IMO this is because he daren't overlap JB because if possession breaks down then JB ain't gona bust a gut to drop in for him.

We are going to be in some real battles very soon, and every player has got to give 100% and be very disciplined to stick to the formation to do the job in hand, and I'm afraid I don't think JB has got that in him, so yes regrettably I am saying its time for a re-think DJ?

On a more positive note, really looking forward to semedo day at forest, where we can guarantee a player giving his all for the cause!! UTO

I hope your observations (which are spot on as far as I have seen since he came here) were made from the Riverside and not via the TV as certain posters on here state you are not allowed to be negative about effort and attitude if you were not in the ground.

ok

Guest mahoosive

I hope your observations (which are spot on as far as I have seen since he came here) were made from the Riverside and not via the TV as certain posters on here state you are not allowed to be negative about effort and attitude if you were not in the ground.

Both

Bothroyd has quality though, it doesn't help when the fans get on his back, he probably can't be arsed because of the negativity aimed at him when he was trying to get match fit.

He's a striker playing out of position and although he brings a calmness and quality on the ball, his defensive duties do let him down....

Guest mahoosive

Bothroyd has quality though, it doesn't help when the fans get on his back, he probably can't be arsed because of the negativity aimed at him when he was trying to get match fit.

He's a striker playing out of position and although he brings a calmness and quality on the ball, his defensive duties do let him down....

Agreed, it certainly doesn't help when fans get on any players back, and from where I sit on the north there is far too much of it!! But it is a 2 way street!

Guest waistline ye diddle

Not a winger.

Should play him like emnes played for boro last night. free reign to wander and dictate play. either him or barkley.

Bothroyd is one of those players living off past glories if you can call it that.

All the slating JB is getting is purely DJ's fault, for bringing him in and then sticks him out wide where he doesnt really provide anything in that position. He could cost DJ his job in the end

spot on summary is that! said it before JB is an individual that does not fit into a TEAM pattern/ethic and therefore is a passenger we can ill afford to carry. substitute his 3 or 4 individual touches per match with 90 mins graft/productivity and you'll go a fair way to easing our problems

There are quite a few inaccuracies in your account, the ball from Buxton you refer to was not just a poor ball, it was awful and went straight into touch and he wasn't even under pressure Again you say that Bothroyd never tracks back, well he made one crunching tackle on the halfway line that I remember. As for him not pushing forward in the way Antonio does, don't you think, rightly or wrongly, this is tactical. Two of the runs into the area that Antonio made were found by long passes from Bothroyd. He also put two more good balls into the box, one of which hung up perfectly for Madine who never moved for it. Add to that, he got in 3 shots, only one on target I agree, but in a lacklustre team performance, that's hardly doing nothing is it? All this scapegoating stuff is starting to do my head in, we just never seem to learn.