My first post! And it's Bothryoyd!

Guest mahoosive

I must be one of the few that doesn't mind Jay Bothroyd playing where he is, his passing is his biggest attribute, his goals will be a bonus. What I'd like to see is a quality forward brought in, someone like Frazier Campbell perhaps, then we good even push Jay further forward, at least there'd be someone on the same wavelength. What is the point in us having players like him and Barkley if all we are going to do is knock it up to a static forward? I see, with a decent forward, us operating a less rigid system, being able to switch from 451-433 or even 442 when needed. Seriously we need to be thinking about a more modern game and embracing players like Bothroyd and Barkley, not flippingdriving them away.

I know where you're coming from - but the fact is the introduction of Bothroyd coincided with our slump, which save for an increase in performance a month ago and a couple of wins to teams below us, has been terrible. It may not be Bothroyd's fault, but the team simply cannot afford him, as he's a luxury and would possibly fit into a team who are doing ok - Cardiff; Notts Forest for e.g. We have had to change our formation since the glory days of August, and now set out not to concede. When we inevitably do, Bothroyd's lack of passion, influence and contribution gets highlighted. It may not be right, and DJ does have to take some responsibility for that.

Maybe, but is the answer then to get rid of players like Bothroyd and Barkley? I agree that the system was unlikely to pay dividends all the while we had no cutting edge. Get a proper striker in ahead of them and it'd be a different story. Expecting players who barely made any inroads playing third division football, to propel us up the championship table was ludicrous

Maybe, but is the answer then to get rid of players like Bothroyd and Barkley? I agree that the system was unlikely to pay dividends all the while we had no cutting edge. Get a proper striker in ahead of them and it'd be a different story. Expecting players who barely made any inroads playing third division football, to propel us up the championship table was ludicrous

Indeed - I believe the loan system often backfires as you as you are left with a two-tear team. As a club, we simply could not afford to buy the likes of Barkley and Bothroyd, and are giving them and their incumbent clubs a helping hand and hoping that we benefit as a result. When you have, as you say, third division players around you, they can struggle and fans home in on their contribution.

it reminds me of the late 90s when Di Canio and Carbone would only pass to each other as they had no or little faith in their team mates, but because we owned them our fans backed them. They did score goals though, so that helped...

Guest zico sterland

Dont see anyone on here criticising Barkley on here ,the criticism is aimed at Bothroyd a nonscoring forward and now a non contributing midfield player.What game gurujuan watches I dont know,the truth is Bothroyd has been crap in every game bar Leeds,his lack of mobility or effort nullifys both fullbacks getting forward and overlapping.This is a major part of 4141 as it allows midfielders to get into box,but when does Bothroyd work defensively or bomb into box.As for his great passing ability how many assists has he ? Its time for DJ to grow a pair and sends him back to QPR as he has been a disaster.Keep playing him and we will be in serious trouble by january as we can not carry him game after game.

certain posters on here state you are not allowed to be negative about effort and attitude if you were not in the ground.

Fortunately there are also those here who regard this as garbage secure in the knowledge that plenty of respected news outlets do their minute by minute text commentaries of big games based on TV broadcasts.

If The Guardian can report the Champion League that way I am certain that you are entitled to an opinion on Owlstalk based on the same, whatever anyone says.

Dont see anyone on here criticising Barkley on here ,the criticism is aimed at Bothroyd a nonscoring forward and now a non contributing midfield player.What game gurujuan watches I dont know,the truth is Bothroyd has been crap in every game bar Leeds,his lack of mobility or effort nullifys both fullbacks getting forward and overlapping.This is a major part of 4141 as it allows midfielders to get into box,but when does Bothroyd work defensively or bomb into box.As for his great passing ability how many assists has he ? Its time for DJ to grow a pair and sends him back to QPR as he has been a disaster.Keep playing him and we will be in serious trouble by january as we can not carry him game after game.

Very good post.

It is my opinion that since Bothroyd arrived at our club, things have been in a steady decline. Think that team spirit and morale have suffered.

Edited by Fedor

Guest Old Salt

With all them attributes you'd think that he'd be able to apply himself better and have more impact on the pitch. Don't think ogrady is the man either. Ok to play away if you want the ball to stick but not as a lone stricker or at home.

Neither are in the same class as paulo or carbone.

Lets compare him to Chris O'Grady then shall we, Bothroyd is more mobile, can shoot, can pass and is a better header of the ball Aren't they supposed to be the main attributes in a footballer?

O Grady has been far better and far more effective than Bothroyd for us this season.

It depends what you mean by effective I suppose, if its none of things I mentioned, maybe you have a point

I think he probably means effective by way of helping us to win games and pick up points. How many times has the undroppable loan player managed to do this?

Lets compare him to Chris O'Grady then shall we, Bothroyd is more mobile, can shoot, can pass and is a better header of the ball Aren't they supposed to be the main attributes in a footballer?

Shame he's rarely showing it.

Guest zico sterland

Gurujuan where have you seen all these wonderful attributes that jBothroyd posseses because he hasnt shown them in blue and white stripes of Sheffield Wednesday.As for more mobile than Ogrady I dont think so,effort put in there is no comparison,you can have all the talent in the world but if you dont work and apply it ,then it all accounts for nothing.At present nothing is what Bothroyd brings to the team and no matter what you argue about talent etc,at this present time and his performances so far that is fact.Reputation counts for nothing less you can back it up and Jay Bothroyd has done nothing on the field of play to enhance his reputation,truth is he has greatly lowered it at this club.We were all hoping for so much and have been sold a pup.

Edited by zico sterland

wholly agree. most players with talent also have application..which makes them the stand-out performer week in week out (rooney,gerrard,tevez etc) .somebody enlighten me when bothroyd put in a star rated performance ?????????

talent = ziltch without application (or in simple terms bothroyd is a luxury we can ill afford)

Thing is, all I hear is Bothroyd, he's lazy, he's crap send him back. I'm the one who's backed up why I think you're wrong with evidence. I understand why people might have differing views to me. But at least I have tried to back up my argument. Lets take the game against Middlesborough shall we, where I feel Bothroyd had an average game, better than some but no worse than most.

You watched the match, did he or did he not, play at least three balls into the box, ome that Antonio mis controlled, one that hung up perfectly for someone to head in, Madine rooted to the spot never moved, and one which led to our only goal. On top of that, he had three strikes at goal, although only one was on target. He headed away one in swinging corner, of the type that led to a goal after he'd left the field of play. For those that say he never tackles back, he made one crunching tackle on the halfway line.

OK, I agree he didn't take the game by the scruff of the neck but to say he did nothing is ridiculous.

For all those slagging the guy, tell me what meaningful contributions others made in the match that showed Jay Bothroyd's to be such an under par performance.

I'm no Jay Bothroyd apologist but I will defend him against some of the unsubstantiated crap spouted on here.