Quality Football

Where have all the posters gone that railed against the poor quality of football under GM. Now we have DJ having to play "effective" football (dire 4-5-1 at home) it is claimed that is what is now needed to survive and get results. Wasn,t Megsons approach also what was needed to improve on and move us into contention for promotion? considering both have/had limited resources? It,s funny how attitudes change due to circumstance and necessity.

Guest intercity0wl

Where have all the posters gone that railed against the poor quality of football under GM. Now we have DJ having to play "effective" football (dire 4-5-1 at home) it is claimed that is what is now needed to survive and get results. Wasn,t Megsons approach also what was needed to improve on and move us into contention for promotion? considering both have/had limited resources? It,s funny how attitudes change due to circumstance and necessity.

Happy whoever the manager is, and whatever the style we employ, as long as it produces Three points, Arsenals so called pleasing on the eye footy aint exactly been that succesful has it ?

The system we play, and more importantly, trying to play through midfield, is far more enlightened than Megson's approach At least we are on the same wavelength as the rest of the footballing planet. Managers like Megson's and Pulis can set our game back years, it's football from a different era.

Guest intercity0wl

The system we play, and more importantly, trying to play through midfield, is far more enlightened than Megson's approach At least we are on the same wavelength as the rest of the footballing planet. Managers like Megson's and Pulis can set our game back years, it's football from a different era.

And yet one got his the sides into European Football, and the other got promotion to the premier league, now i may be in the minority here, but give me football from any era you wish, if its gonna bring either of them things to S6 anytime soon

Guest intercity0wl

Again it's something that's always gonna divide the fans Me, I want to see football played, yes in a committed way, but by players who are comfortable on the ball.

A nice ideal, but off the top of my head i cannot think of any sides at championship level or Below who have more than a maximum of 2-3 players in their side who match that requirement, Below the Premiership, games at this level are more often than not won by graft and endeavour imo.

I think we all know that "dire" football is not DJ's or Megsons philosophy. Megson has more of a reputation of playing effective & dire football than DJ has.

Sometimes you have to grind out results, that's what we're having to do right now. I have more confidence in DJ achieving good football whilst maintaining results than I would Megson. As everyone keeps saying, it's a results based industry, and right now we just need the results- good performances and football will follow as confidence is instilled.

Edited by bigdan2003

Guest totemowl

A nice ideal, but off the top of my head i cannot think of any sides at championship level or Below who have more than a maximum of 2-3 players in their side who match that requirement, Below the Premiership, games at this level are more often than not won by graft and endeavour imo.

Rubbish.

Maybe you're right about football outside the Premiership, but from my point of view, things are improving. Now in the Premiership, week in week out, players are comfortable on the ball and the football is a more thoughtful tactical game. Obviously this has been helped by the influx of foreign stars and this is now starting to filter down the pyramid. Even last year, there were a lot of sides trying to play good football in the first division. I know others think differently, and thats fair enough, but I happen to think this has been a long time coming in English football and its a change for the good

Isn't this the same poster (the op) who started several threads about how he wanted Jones sacked?

Never started a thread saying Jones should be sacked, some questioning his recruitment, team selection and formations. I also thought Megson was hard done by and got some undeserved stick on here, by the same people who now subscribe to the win any way we can brigade now.

Guest intercity0wl

Rubbish.

Go on then, always willing to listen and learn, out of all our games this season, except maybe Brighton, which of our opponents so far have played this comfortable on the ball football, and not grafted out the results.