Quality Football

The system we play, and more importantly, trying to play through midfield, is far more enlightened than Megson's approach At least we are on the same wavelength as the rest of the footballing planet. Managers like Megson's and Pulis can set our game back years, it's football from a different era.

It may be from a different era, but it is still effective in the modern age!

Guest Wilf Marshall

I think everyone knows that once you get to the upper echelons of the premier league you have to be able to play a bit.

Teams like Stoke won't get to the next level playing like that. I just can't see it.

Guest Deleted member

fair play to Lanzarote - for finding something to moan about whether we are winning or losing.

Are you sure you're not a Bla....

Ah. lol

In league one we were one of the favourites with a big budget, I think Jones has proved that you can afford to attack teams at that level and ride your luck defensively, but Megson had picked up a team which was reeling and needed to build confidence and change a few attitudes. I'm not sure DJs style in that league would've been as effective so quickly without the principles established by GM.

We're now at the start of the cycle again, when we were confident we could out score teams but that dried up. Now we need to set a base before we try and play with a swagger again.

You are right, and I would never dismiss what gary megson did for Sheffield Wednesday last season. I may not have liked him as a person, or even his footballing philosophy, but he brought a lot of qualities to this club that had been missing for many years. It is also fair to say that in division one our quality in forward areas particularly was far superior to most sides at that level, that a lot of our shortcomings were glossed over. Number one for me, was our midfield's inability to control a game, even at that level. For the most part we got away with it last year as we simply steamrollered teams with our pace, power and extra quality. In this division we were always gonna get found out. A few decent early season results couldn't disguise the fact that we were getting overrun in midfield and, unlike last season, we didn't have the forward quality to bale us out. DJ rnecognised this and changed the system. It's now starting to pay dividends and results seem to be improving. It's early days, and we still need better forward options, but at least we now have a solid platform on which to build.